SportsWrath

Tenders

Mr. P

My bad, I thought he was on a 4 year rookie deal. Thanks for the clarification. But that detail certainly doesn't change things with Cruz. The best we can hope for right now is a 1st rounder in compensation, or we win the Super Bowl with him next year in his last hurrah as a Giant. Because it's pretty doubtful that he'll be one after this year.

I have to say that I want Cruz back, but I like the Giants playing tough here and holding their ground. As good as Cruz is, he's certainly not a #1. I think that he may easily be a go-to guy for a QB, but he's not the #1 that a lot of folks paint him to be.

If the offer made to Cruz is close to what we offered him, than I'd like to see the Giants concede and match the deal if they can. Again, if it's less than 1 mil/year difference or so. But if not, I'd take the 1st for him.

The team I'm worried about is the Patriots...a bottom 1st round pick needing a replacement for Welker...I would not be pleased.

but behind closed doors Giant Dr,s knew Smith had a bad injury and did not want to roll the dice on his recovery . I remember a lot of us where pissed they did not resign him until his recovery problems came to light and really what did he do after he left the Giants? In this case Cruz Is not injured and I feel he is more dynamic than Smith was, Although Smith was clutch 3rd down.

We seem to be missing each other here. I meant before his last year when the Giants were trying to extend him. Obviously once he became injured the price dropped. Cruz is angling to do the same deal by waiting this year to not re-sign and hope for a big FA pay day. Both gambled and Smith lost with his. If I were Cruz, assuming it's a competitive contract, I'd take it. One in the hand is much better than two in the bush especially when your career is one hit from being over.

Pass on Amendola for me. Not that he's not a sure-handed, nice talent. He is. But that guy gets hurt just about every time he's tackled. He's Mr. Glass from Unbreakable. It's not just a little shoulder strain, the dude is breaking bones all over the place. There are likely cheaper veterans out there, if we were even try to replace Cruz with a veteran. It could mean Jernigan gets his chance, or they will make a big move in the draft and see if he can beat Jernigan or another free agent for the job. I don't think we're using a high pick on receiver this year, though. A couple of names I like are Louis Murphy, Donnie Avery, Julian Edelman (could be a brilliant move, a player the Giants have reported interest), and even Ted Ginn are available free agents. You have to believe that the Giants, if they make a move like the ones above, will be looking for a receiver that can return kicks as well, because they will probably want to lessen the load on David Wilson in that area as he increases his share of the work in the offense. And how about one more name... Steve Smith.... OUR Steve Smith... is a free agent... not sure how the knee is doing but I don't recall him having a setback in St Louis last year, just didn't get enough time on the field as they were focused on younger receivers like Chris Givens and Brandon Gibson.

Pass on Amendola for me. Not that he's not a sure-handed, nice talent. He is. But that guy gets hurt just about every time he's tackled. He's Mr. Glass from Unbreakable. It's not just a little shoulder strain, the dude is breaking bones all over the place. There are likely cheaper veterans out there, if we were even try to replace Cruz with a veteran. It could mean Jernigan gets his chance, or they will make a big move in the draft and see if he can beat Jernigan or another free agent for the job. I don't think we're using a high pick on receiver this year, though. A couple of names I like are Louis Murphy, Donnie Avery, Julian Edelman (could be a brilliant move, a player the Giants have reported interest), and even Ted Ginn are available free agents. You have to believe that the Giants, if they make a move like the ones above, will be looking for a receiver that can return kicks as well, because they will probably want to lessen the load on David Wilson in that area as he increases his share of the work in the offense. And how about one more name... Steve Smith.... OUR Steve Smith... is a free agent... not sure how the knee is doing but I don't recall him having a setback in St Louis last year, just didn't get enough time on the field as they were focused on younger receivers like Chris Givens and Brandon Gibson.

Murphy visiting the Giants today! This could be a free agent steal for us. This guy is a burner... talking sub-4.4 speed. I've wanted him in Giants blue since before he was drafted by the Raiders. Just dumb luck to start your career with Jamarcus Russell and Bruce Gradkowski throwing you the ball.

Murphy visiting the Giants today! This could be a free agent steal for us. This guy is a burner... talking sub-4.4 speed. I've wanted him in Giants blue since before he was drafted by the Raiders. Just dumb luck to start your career with Jamarcus Russell and Bruce Gradkowski throwing you the ball.

I've always liked Murphy too, and the dude definitely is a diamond in the rough. He could really shine in NY with Eli tossing the ball at him.

Plus, we need more Irish guys on the team.

You think Cruz would say, "Hey, I want to stay a Giant." but agents brainwash these guys. They are almost as bad as politicians.

Isn't it due to the fact that agents get paid off comission, so the more they can get their players the more they make?

You think the NFL or atleast the NFLPA would have some regulations on the fact that agents don't really look out for the players, only how much they make.

He can make far more in the NY area outside of football...and I believe he already has just from endorsements alone. He has Time Warner (cable)...Goya major Latin food producer...and a couple of other banks/products. Go to obscurity elsewhere and he will get the big contract ...but will not have a team around him to take the pressure off...next thing to obscurity ...and no real money post career...

You'd have to think a smart agent would council him to take slightly less money in NY, where he has nearly unlimited good-will and endorsement potential, than take a few million more on the back end of a contract in a worse media market.

This^

Shortly after the debacle that was "The Decision" Sports Illustrated interviewed Michael Jordan's agent, David Falk to get his opinion on LeBron's Decision. The interview eventually moved toward the notion of "branding" an athlete where Falk had this to say...

In 2012, I find that to be incredible that someone would think that. We live in a digital age, and I think people like Dwight Howard, LeBron James,
-- Kevin Durant is incredibly marketable in Oklahoma. He doesn't have to be in New York or L.A. I think he could be the best player in the league in two years, at the most. And if someone said to you, "If you represented him, would you move him to New York?" I'd say, "No, for what? I think he has a certain homespun credibility being in Oklahoma. It's like Brett Favre being in Green Bay." And I think these guys are being told by these agents who aren't very sophisticated in marketing that you have to be in New York or L.A. to be marketable. Maybe they've never heard of the Internet.

and much more:

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2012/7/26/2228977/does-city-really-matter-for-athlete-endorsements

now if he hadn't started his career in ny maybe, but cruz has reached the point where he is popular and known enough to get comparable endorsements no matter what city he plays in.

He can make far more in the NY area outside of football...and I believe he already has just from endorsements alone. He has Time Warner (cable)...Goya major Latin food producer...and a couple of other banks/products. Go to obscurity elsewhere and he will get the big contract ...but will not have a team around him to take the pressure off...next thing to obscurity ...and no real money post career...

The only thing I've seen him in (me being outside of the NY market), is McNabb's old Chunky Soup commercials.

The only thing I've seen him in (me being outside of the NY market), is McNabb's old Chunky Soup commercials.

these guys might not need ny to be worldwide recognizable but there are way more dopey small time radio spots, billboards and local tv spots available in major markets

This by Herc...there are a dozen that Cruz is on and they add up ...about 10 of them together add up to two Chunky Soup type endorsement deals. You guys remember Brad Benson...one of the O-lineman from the 86 Team coined the Suburbanites...? Well he used to have tons of those types of spots after all of the film about his cut nose and the nickname. Especially car type spots. So he saved all of his nickels and dimes from his career and these spots bought a Hyundai Dealership in Jersey...and now his spots are all over the WFAN and late night cable. Brad is how you make money after your career is done and you are not a superstar...

haha brad benson is a great example. his jokes are corny but his commercials stick out among all the rest

True to the pure corniness...but I especially liked the attempts at political satire during the run up to the Presidential Elections... :D So corny that they were funny to an extent. But put his shit in the middle of Arizona ...and its Brad who...what he was on the 86 Giants team...as a what...trainer...water boy...oh O lineman with The Suburbanites....never heard of the guy...?

Brad's commercials are cringe worthy. But he's going to need plenty of money for lawyers:

Brad Benson's son accused of running over man

Published: March 21, 2013 8:45 AM

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

image.JPG

Photo credit: AP, 2003 | Car dealer Brad Benson, a former Giants center, stands next to a four-wheel drive Mitsubishi Outlander at his dealership is South Brunswick, N.J.

BRANCHBURG, N.J. -- The son of Super Bowl champion and New Jersey car dealer Brad Benson is accused of running down a man after a confrontation outside a restaurant on St. Patrick's Day.

Clint Benson of Hillsborough is charged with aggravated assault, assault by auto, leaving the scene of an accident and driving while intoxicated.

The Somerset County Prosecutor's Office says the 21-year-old accelerated his pickup and struck a man who had confronted him about his reckless driving in Branchburg.

Authorities say 23-year-old Richard Lachner of Flemington sustained a fractured skull, a broken hand and lacerations.

Police say Benson crashed a short distance away.

It's not clear if he has an attorney.

Benson's father was an offensive lineman for the football Giants when the team beat Denver in the 1987 Super Bowl.