SportsWrath

Greatest Giants vs 49ers game ever?

Virginia Giant

i was scared shitless all game. how eli didnt turn the ball over once after all those hits is fucking incredible

Trent Dilfer just said that was one of the best QB performances he has seen, considering the conditions and the D he faced.

Harbaugh played not to lose. After those 2 gimmicks didn't work, he went super conservative. I could guess 90% of his plays.

They have no wide receivers- 1 pass reception all game. it's a credit to their defense it was close.

Harbaugh played not to lose. After those 2 gimmicks didn't work, he went super conservative. I could guess 90% of his plays.

They have no wide receivers- 1 pass reception all game. it's a credit to their defense it was close.

Yeah didn't he try some kind of flea flicker garbage second play of the game? I said then we got these guys beat...they don't trust their offense to win straight up.

Yeah didn't he try some kind of flea flicker garbage second play of the game? I said then we got these guys beat...they don't trust their offense to win straight up.

49ers really did well with their pass rush....I was deathly afraid of a sack/fumble followed by an Akers FG.

Which reminds me.....fuck you, Akers....you lost!!!!!

yup, we honestly outplayed them in every facet of the game except the running game. And we still came close to losing. That defense is gnarly. We also had quite a few costly penalties.

I loved them playing scared at the end of the first half, though. I was giving my 49ers buddy shit about that. How do you go all conservative in the playoffs like that and leave nearly 2 minutes on the clock for Eli and company?

A lot of Jest fan losers and 69'er lovers crying about the Bradshaw Play...claiming they were robbed...listen there is something called forward progress...it has been the law in the land since I have been watching football...live with it....don't live with it...drop dead I can care less.....His progress was stopped...he was going back....and then the gang of 3 or 4 69'ers starts pulling and struggling...lol and of course the ball is going to come loose. big%20F-U.gif:F-U:big%20F-U.gif:F-U:big%20F-U.gif:F-U:

They have no room to talk after the 1st Vernon Davis TD and the fact that if Kyle Williams' first muff (where it hit his knee), if called correctly, would've been a Devin Thomas TD, a drive that resulted in just 3 points. The 49ers definitely got most of the calls in their favor in this game. Plus, Mike Pereira said it was the right call, and I think anyone unbiased would say the same thing, his forward progress was definitely stopped, and I think the whistle was blowing as the ball came out anyway.

Which reminds me.....fuck you, Akers....you lost!!!!!

yeah JM4....always disliked Akers and all his ''God on my side nonsense'' ......and hated him for finishing our season in Philly in 06 with that FG in the playoffs

nice to see him on the losing side !

They have no room to talk after the 1st Vernon Davis TD and the fact that if Kyle Williams' first muff (where it hit his knee), if called correctly, would've been a Devin Thomas TD, a drive that resulted in just 3 points. The 49ers definitely got most of the calls in their favor in this game. Plus, Mike Pereira said it was the right call, and I think anyone unbiased would say the same thing, his forward progress was definitely stopped, and I think the whistle was blowing as the ball came out anyway.

Yes, it was whistled dead well before the ball came out.

The muffed punt had me scratching my head too. I know you can't advance you OWN punt but once it touched an opposing player I thought it was essentially a fumble at that stage ie. Thomas took it in legally for a TD.

The muffed punt had me scratching my head too. I know you can't advance you OWN punt but once it touched an opposing player I thought it was essentially a fumble at that stage ie. Thomas took it in legally for a TD.

I thought that too but you can only advance the ball on a fumble. So the first one could have only been recovered but the second one was a fumble so could have been run in. The rule is ridiculous IMO.

well he did but mckenzie was in position to pick it up. probably because the guy he was guarding left him way back there.

that's true, i had forgotten about that play. probably because i drank half the dogfish factory last night

i think that's why they need to change the nfl rules and let plays end organically even if they think it's down by contact. detroit should've had a td in their game against NO too off the top of my head. seems to cost teams TDs a lot

You can only advance if the receiving team's player has advanced with the punt first and then fumbles. If he doesnt, then you cant advance and you just have to recover.

In all honesty, although we didnt win that game but the greatest 49ers-Giants game has to be 'The game that should not be named' - 2003 - Shockey dropping it, the SNAP, Strahan pointing etc etc....that was the greatest game from a pure game standpoint

Great defensive effort by SF. 6 sacks?

Their D is unreal... at times seemed fake... although our O-Line had a couple of brainfarts letting them get to Eli too damn quickly. Something was weird about this game.. my head was pounding... my wife kept wondering why I wasn't jumping for joy when we'd score... not knowing my stomach was turning because SF D was un fucking real.

I think this game is redemption for 2003. Although, I think Tampa Bay would've beat us that year. That was a magical year for them and their defense that season was unreal, dominating defense that was almost as good as the 2000 Ravens.

Guys... This team is going to the Super Bowl! THIS TEAM IS GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!!!! I still can't believe it. A few weeks ago I thought, let's just win a playoff game, hell, just MAKE the playoffs, and this season isn't a total failure... Now we have a great chance to win the whole damn thing!

Yeah, hats off to the the 49ers...their D was far more impressive than I thought, especially the secondary. If the 49ers get a WR and a CB or two in the offseason...look the fuck out. I thought their D was good, but I also thought that the stats they've put up over the year were skewed by the fact they played teams like the Rams twice, Cards twice, and Seahawks twice...not exactly offensive juggernauts.

Had we lost that game...I could've easily lived with it given the play of both teams.

I think this game is redemption for 2003. Although, I think Tampa Bay would've beat us that year. That was a magical year for them and their defense that season was unreal, dominating defense that was almost as good as the 2000 Ravens.

Guys... This team is going to the Super Bowl! THIS TEAM IS GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!!!! I still can't believe it. A few weeks ago I thought, let's just win a playoff game, hell, just MAKE the playoffs, and this season isn't a total failure... Now we have a great chance to win the whole damn thing!

Given the ups and downs of this season.. losing to the fucking skins twice and to the shithawks... I pretty much was ready for an overhaul.. especially a new DC... then I said ok.. if we just make the Jets crash and burn... done.. ok if we just send Dallas packing... done... ok... win this one playoff game against Atl.. done. From there I considered the season a success.. given we're missing a few key pieces (i.e. T2)... so go to Green Bay and smack them and the refs... we go to SF and win an epic battle on the road.. granted we got a good call when Bradshaw fumbled the ball... but hey... it's about time.. we're still like -7 in the ref bias differential lol

Yeah, hats off to the the 49ers...their D was far more impressive than I thought, especially the secondary. If the 49ers get a WR and a CB or two in the offseason...look the fuck out. I thought their D was good, but I also thought that the stats they've put up over the year were skewed by the fact they played teams like the Rams twice, Cards twice, and Seahawks twice...not exactly offensive juggernauts.

Had we lost that game...I could've easily lived with it given the play of both teams.

Awesome post gmenroc. Agreed. I think their D played balls out!!! If not for 2 defensive fuckups they wouldnt have gotten those points. But then again...coulda,woulda,shoulda etc. Both Ds played lights out. 2 things I feel are not noticed as much as Mannings unbelievable throw on 3rd down for the TD to Manningham (if not for that we arent in the SB).....and Kyle Williams - he gave us a hint in that botched play that Osi shouldve recovered....but made up for it by giving to us twice. We cant rely on luck next week. We need to thrash their asses!

This game was easily just as good as the 1990 (1991) NFCCG.

In fact, today was like a Nostalgia Game....2 defenses trading punches, every yard at a premium.

I was saying to my dad last night that this game totally reminded me of the 1990 Championship Game, except the roles were reversed.

This time, San Fran was the grind-it-out offense with a great running game and a killer D.

The Giants were the aerial attack winging the ball everywhere with a QB that was getting hammered (but stayed in the game).

Yeah, hats off to the the 49ers...their D was far more impressive than I thought, especially the secondary.

Agreed. Carlos Rogers is playing much better than he ever did in Washington. and Eli took a number of "Coverage Sacks" yesterday. I wouldn't have feelen too ashamed losing that game given the conditions.