SportsWrath

Here comes Braylon....

so-cal dub

Giants sources have informed the OBR that the Giants contacted Cleveland to ask about Edwards. New York offered its two extra draft choices that it received from New Orleans in the Jeremy Shockey deal, a second and a fifth.

The Browns countered by asking for those two picks and receiver Steve Smith.

New York said no to parting ways with Smith, but said the Browns could have either Domenik Hixon or Mario Manningham.

Cleveland balked and the talks died. At least for now. These types of discussions often have a way of reappearing right around draft weekend. Stay tuned."

No link.

hmm i wonder why they didnt try to give them moss, unless they knew they wouldnt want moss.

I think they said Hixon or Moss because Hixon has shown he can atleast play at the #1 spot(even if not the well) and Manningham was at one point considered a first round WR so the potential may be there.

If the Browns trade Braylon they would be looking for a WR who could atleast start at their #2 WR position so they could focus one of their newly traded picks at a WR to come in and fill the #1 WR void.

You know guys, I would do it, if pressed. I would rather send a Hixon, Manningham, and especially Moss, but you have to ask yourself... what is easier to replace? A true #1 game-changing receiver? Or a possession receiver with good hands?

I would negotiate, but if it really came down to giving up Smith or not, I would say thanks for everything, Steve! I can replace him in the draft with maybe a Brian Robiskie in the 2nd round (the 2nd rounder we keep). Even if that plan fails, you are getting Braylon Edwards and you can have Hixon at the 2, and then give Manningham a bigger role, because that guy has shown ability, and don't forget that you can always bring back Tyree and another pick.

You know guys, I would do it, if pressed. I would rather send a Hixon, Manningham, and especially Moss, but you have to ask yourself... what is easier to replace? A true #1 game-changing receiver? Or a possession receiver with good hands?

I would negotiate, but if it really came down to giving up Smith or not, I would say thanks for everything, Steve! I can replace him in the draft with maybe a Brian Robiskie in the 2nd round (the 2nd rounder we keep). Even if that plan fails, you are getting Braylon Edwards and you can have Hixon at the 2, and then give Manningham a bigger role, because that guy has shown ability, and don't forget that you can always bring back Tyree and another pick.

You know what, Jim? I was thinking the samething. But, its kinda hard to replace Steve Smith expirience. This guy produced in big games in college and the pros... That's one of the thing Reese harped on when he drafted Steve Smith.

You know what, Jim? I was thinking the samething. But, its kinda hard to replace Steve Smith expirience. This guy produced in big games in college and the pros... That's one of the thing Reese harped on when he drafted Steve Smith.

I agree with you there. But if you want experience than do the trade and sign a Marty Booker, maybe even a Marvin Harrison. Darrell Jackson is out there, as is Justin McCareins. There are a lot of quality receivers on the free agent market right now that would do well in a possession receiver role, but there are no Braylon Edwards!

Eli from day one craved that possesion type 3rd down intermediate WR and finnally got one in Steve Smith. A dependable 3rd down target, good hands and good route runner. I would hate to give him up.

I think if we throw in our 2 2's and the Saints 5 we could get it done. With so many picks and so much depth on the roster its not like there are a ton of spots out there on this team. Bottom line is if you are drafted after round 4 on this team you really are gonna have to impress to win a roster spot, so IMO the better option would be to give up more picks as opposed to players as we have so many, plus the compensatory ones coming this week.

I like Edwards a lot, but I am in no way extending his contract before he shows something here.

I agree with you there. But if you want experience than do the trade and sign a Marty Booker, maybe even a Marvin Harrison. Darrell Jackson is out there, as is Justin McCareins. There are a lot of quality receivers on the free agent market right now that would do well in a possession receiver role, but there are no Braylon Edwards!

To be considered a possesion WR you have to have good hands and Justin McCareins DOES NOT have good hands. Ask Chad Pennington.

If there's anything to this, anything, thenyou give up the draft picks and Hixon only.You do not trade Steve Smith and how can you give up on Mario Manningham after one injury riddled season. Maybe it's just me but i truly believe Manningham is the real deal.

Edwards

I say the saints pick to the browns for Edwards plus a gallon of stick-em

Ok, I'm about to show my ignorance once again. His stats show 55 rec - 873 yds - 15.9 avg - 3 td's for the 2008 season. You say 'a gallon of stickum' should be added to the deal. My question is, how many attempted catches did he have? I mean, if he was thrown to 55 times and caught 55, that's pretty amazing, so why would he need stickum? If he was thrown at 200 times and caught 55, I could see your reasoning. I didn't see anything in that link that shows how many times he was thrown to.

Ok, I'm about to show my ignorance once again. His stats show 55 rec - 873 yds - 15.9 avg - 3 td's for the 2008 season. You say 'a gallon of stickum' should be added to the deal. My question is, how many attempted catches did he have? I mean, if he was thrown to 55 times and caught 55, that's pretty amazing, so why would he need stickum? If he was thrown at 200 times and caught 55, I could see your reasoning. I didn't see anything in that link that shows how many times he was thrown to.

Rik, he led the NFL in drops in 2008. He just never got on track from week 1. But, neither did Derek Anderson. I would have to say that if you consider that he has 25 receiving touchdowns in the last 3 years, and with the monster 2007 he had (albeit a mediocre '08) and the fact that he averages consistently around 16 yards/rec, the guy is a big time player that is just what the Giants need. I would not hesitate, they need to get this deal done and I'm sure it won't happen before draft day when the pressure is really on. Steve Smith, while very good, is a replaceable commodity. Plaxico is much more difficult. We may even have Smith's replacement on the roster already in Manningham and just don't know it yet. I love Steve Smith, don't get me wrong... and if we can keep him, I'm all for keeping him and giving the Browns other pieces. But for the love, we are ready to win now, and if you have a chance to get Braylon Edwards, you pull the trigger even if it means giving Smith. I would do it and try to grab Nicks and/or sign a veteran like Harrison, maybe even Torry Holt if he is healthy to take Smith's place.

You can't tell me that this:

Edwards

Any number of #2 Wide receivers on the open market (Booker, Harrison, Holt, Darrell Jackson, Drew Bennett, etc)

Hixon

Manningham

Moss

Tyree or Nicks/Britt/another rookie WR?

Isn't more dangerous than:

Britt/Nicks/DHB

Smith

Hixon

Manningham

Moss

Tyree?

Give me that first group. We all saw what happens when we don't have the big playmaker at WR this past season. Eli's numbers were way down and our offense was sluggish. Braylon means we are an immediate SuperBowl contender. I've said it once and I'll say it again... I love Steve, but I can get me another Steve Smith, not so with guys like Plaxico or Braylon.