SportsWrath

Here comes Braylon....

so-cal dub

Rik, he led the NFL in drops in 2008. He just never got on track from week 1. But, neither did Derek Anderson. I would have to say that if you consider that he has 25 receiving touchdowns in the last 3 years, and with the monster 2007 he had (albeit a mediocre '08) and the fact that he averages consistently around 16 yards/rec, the guy is a big time player that is just what the Giants need. I would not hesitate, they need to get this deal done and I'm sure it won't happen before draft day when the pressure is really on. Steve Smith, while very good, is a replaceable commodity. Plaxico is much more difficult. We may even have Smith's replacement on the roster already in Manningham and just don't know it yet. I love Steve Smith, don't get me wrong... and if we can keep him, I'm all for keeping him and giving the Browns other pieces. But for the love, we are ready to win now, and if you have a chance to get Braylon Edwards, you pull the trigger even if it means giving Smith. I would do it and try to grab Nicks and/or sign a veteran like Harrison, maybe even Torry Holt if he is healthy to take Smith's place.

You can't tell me that this:

Edwards

Any number of #2 Wide receivers on the open market (Booker, Harrison, Holt, Darrell Jackson, Drew Bennett, etc)

Hixon

Manningham

Moss

Tyree or Nicks/Britt/another rookie WR?

Isn't more dangerous than:

Britt/Nicks/DHB

Smith

Hixon

Manningham

Moss

Tyree?

Give me that first group. We all saw what happens when we don't have the big playmaker at WR this past season. Eli's numbers were way down and our offense was sluggish. Braylon means we are an immediate SuperBowl contender. I've said it once and I'll say it again... I love Steve, but I can get me another Steve Smith, not so with guys like Plaxico or Braylon.

What a waste of a pick that would be, grabbing a first round quality WR and sending him 5 spots down the depth chart...? And you arent actually suggesting starting Harrison, Holt, or MARTY FRIGGIN BOOKER, are you!?

Rik, he led the NFL in drops in 2008. He just never got on track from week 1. But, neither did Derek Anderson. I would have to say that if you consider that he has 25 receiving touchdowns in the last 3 years, and with the monster 2007 he had (albeit a mediocre '08) and the fact that he averages consistently around 16 yards/rec, the guy is a big time player that is just what the Giants need.

I understand what you are saying (I had Edwards on my FF team last year and continued to start him, while he continued to stink it up), and think what the Giants offered was fair. Although I find it curious Moss remains intact like, I don't know, he's got something on someone in the front office. Seriously, why wasn't his name at least thrown out there at least for bait? I'd still like to know what Edwards attempted catches to actual catches ratio was though. I think with Eli throwing to him, he could have a very productive '09.

I understand what you are saying (I had Edwards on my FF team last year and continued to start him, while he continued to stink it up), and think what the Giants offered was fair. Although I find it curious Moss remains intact like, I don't know, he's got something on someone in the front office. Seriously, why wasn't his name at least thrown out there at least for bait? I'd still like to know what Edwards attempted catches to actual catches ratio was though. I think with Eli throwing to him, he could have a very productive '09.

Moss's name has surfaced in trade rumors, as late as this past season when we allegedly offered him as part of a package for Tony Gonzalez (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/10/are_the_new_york_giants_prepar.html). The truth is that he hardly has any value...

My My! How quickly feelings towards Braylon Edwards have changed! When I suggested this weeks ago everyone debted the idea.

I've been consistently on the Braylon bandwagon. The only thing I doubted was that he would be available for us to get. Now that it looks like Cleveland MIGHT be willing to trade him, I'm all for it.

What a waste of a pick that would be, grabbing a first round quality WR and sending him 5 spots down the depth chart...? And you arent actually suggesting starting Harrison, Holt, or MARTY FRIGGIN BOOKER, are you!?

Marty Booker is one of those receivers that isn't flashy, doesn't excite you. But he has always produced. Now, just to make sure, I checked his stats, and last year he did not have a good year, so he might be done (only 14 catches). But for his entire career he has been a good if not spectacular WR. Another non-flashy, non-exciting, good not spectacular receiver? Steve Smith.

People need not get caught up with one name out of the names I mentioned. I was making a greater point that Steve Smith can be replaced adequately by any number of receivers on the free agent market if that is what it came down to. Or you just put Hixon, Moss, or Manningham in that two-hole (whoever wins the job in camp). It doesn't matter. What matters is that Braylon makes our team better, with or without Steve Smith.

Now, go ahead and flame me because I am acting as if Steve Smith is the greatest WR in the NFL. If you could look at Steve Smith as a casual fan does, you would say he's a pretty good receiver. There are a lot of those on the open market.

Moss's name has surfaced in trade rumors, as late as this past season when we allegedly offered him as part of a package for Tony Gonzalez (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/10/are_the_new_york_giants_prepar.html). The truth is that he hardly has any value...

I was referring to this suggested trade in particular. And I realize he has little trade value, but still, wouldn't you offer up your worst first and then deal up to what you were actually willing to give up?

Anyway, there was a post made by mws44 earlier with a link to the bleacher report that pondered why Moss hadn't been offered up. Unfortunately, The Bleacher report took the link down.

Why not keep both?

It's possible. Only if things fall a certain way.

If the Plaxico legal situation plays itself out before April 25th (the draft) and he doesn't get jail time, AND he does some major mea culpas and commits to leaving the shenanigans behind, then he could be retained. BUT, if that were to happen, we PROBABLY don't trade for Braylon, and we draft a Kenny Britt type player as insurance on Plax.

HOWEVER, say the legal situation doesn't play out before the draft. The Giants have to act as if Plax won't be there. They acquire Braylon, THEN Plaxico's legal situation is resolved, he avoids jail time, does his brown-nosing, yada yada yada, the Giants could keep him, and they would've already traded for Edwards.

But it is more likely Plax will be in jail.

Marty Booker is one of those receivers that isn't flashy, doesn't excite you. But he has always produced. Now, just to make sure, I checked his stats, and last year he did not have a good year, so he might be done (only 14 catches). But for his entire career he has been a good if not spectacular WR. Another non-flashy, non-exciting, good not spectacular receiver? Steve Smith.

People need not get caught up with one name out of the names I mentioned. I was making a greater point that Steve Smith can be replaced adequately by any number of receivers on the free agent market if that is what it came down to. Or you just put Hixon, Moss, or Manningham in that two-hole (whoever wins the job in camp). It doesn't matter. What matters is that Braylon makes our team better, with or without Steve Smith.

Now, go ahead and flame me because I am acting as if Steve Smith is the greatest WR in the NFL. If you could look at Steve Smith as a casual fan does, you would say he's a pretty good receiver. There are a lot of those on the open market.

No, none of those guys on the FA market are as good as Steve Smith. Not Harrison. Not Holt. Definitely not Booker. That's why they're available and Steve Smith is not. If we were remotely interested in any of those guys, we would have brought them in by now and possibly even signed them.

I don't know how many ways there is to say it: We're not trading Steve Smith for Edwards. If a deal happens, it will involve other pieces on our end.

It's possible. Only if things fall a certain way.

If the Plaxico legal situation plays itself out before April 25th (the draft) and he doesn't get jail time, AND he does some major mea culpas and commits to leaving the shenanigans behind, then he could be retained. BUT, if that were to happen, we PROBABLY don't trade for Braylon, and we draft a Kenny Britt type player as insurance on Plax.

HOWEVER, say the legal situation doesn't play out before the draft. The Giants have to act as if Plax won't be there. They acquire Braylon, THEN Plaxico's legal situation is resolved, he avoids jail time, does his brown-nosing, yada yada yada, the Giants could keep him, and they would've already traded for Edwards.

But it is more likely Plax will be in jail.

Also, didn't Plax just get a brand new deal at the beginning oft he '08 season? How does that affect things? If Plax gets convicted they get to write that off, don't they? And if he gets off, and he gets suspended by the NFL, then what? Does he still count salary wise? And if he gets off, and doesn't get suspended and is able to play, AND we got Edwards, then how screwed would we be?

I was referring to this suggested trade in particular. And I realize he has little trade value, but still, wouldn't you offer up your worst first and then deal up to what you were actually willing to give up?

Anyway, there was a post made by mws44 earlier with a link to the bleacher report that pondered why Moss hadn't been offered up. Unfortunately, The Bleacher report took the link down.

Well, as the report goes, the Giants allegedly offered the Saints' 2nd and 5th. Cleveland countered by asking for Smith + 2 + 5. So, at least initially, the Giants didn't want to give up anything (or anyone) other than picks.

For all we know, they might have offered Moss and Cleveland said no. What's the difference? He's not going to a valued piece in any major deal anyway...

Also, didn't Plax just get a brand new deal at the beginning oft he '08 season? How does that affect things? If Plax gets convicted they get to write that off, don't they? And if he gets off, and he gets suspended by the NFL, then what? Does he still count salary wise? And if he gets off, and doesn't get suspended and is able to play, AND we got Edwards, then how screwed would we be?

We wouldn't be screwed at all, actually. As Peter King explained (scroll down to #2), Plax has clauses in his contract that would cause him to defer his bonus money under these types of circumstances. You really have to credit our FO for having the forsight to insure themselves in this regard...

We wouldn't be screwed at all, actually. As Peter King explained (scroll down to #2), Plax has clauses in his contract that would cause him to defer his bonus money under these types of circumstances. You really have to credit our FO for having the forsight to insure themselves in this regard...

Reading that article, yeah, it looks like a pretty safe contract, IF they are going to part ways with Burress. If they get Edwards AND keep Burress (assuming he hits all, or even most, of the goals set for the non guaranteed money) wouldn't that be a pretty bad thing? I mean, Edwards won't come cheap, and won't we have to pick up what's left on his current contract if he's traded? I'm no rocket scientist, but having both, financially anyway, doesn't look all that appealing.

No, none of those guys on the FA market are as good as Steve Smith. Not Harrison. Not Holt. Definitely not Booker. That's why they're available and Steve Smith is not. If we were remotely interested in any of those guys, we would have brought them in by now and possibly even signed them.

I don't know how many ways there is to say it: We're not trading Steve Smith for Edwards. If a deal happens, it will involve other pieces on our end.

Your Giants-colored glasses are showing. And the fact that they are available and Smith is not has nothing to do with anything. Contracts have to do with why they are available. Marvin Harrison I believe would STILL be better than Smith.

Reading that article, yeah, it looks like a pretty safe contract, IF they are going to part ways with Burress. If they get Edwards AND keep Burress (assuming he hits all, or even most, of the goals set for the non guaranteed money) wouldn't that be a pretty bad thing? I mean, Edwards won't come cheap, and won't we have to pick up what's left on his current contract if he's traded? I'm no rocket scientist, but having both, financially anyway, doesn't look all that appealing.

Do you really think Jerry Reese and Kevin Abrams would willingly paint themselves into an unmanageable financial situation?

More to the point, if they get Edwards, Plax is out. He might be out even if they don't get Braylon...

Your Giants-colored glasses are showing. And the fact that they are available and Smith is not has nothing to do with anything. Contracts have to do with why they are available. Marvin Harrison I believe would STILL be better than Smith.

I'm telling you that the Giants have no interest in Harrison (which, apparently, is something they have in common with 31 other teams). The same can be said of all the other names you trotted out earlier. The Giants consider Smith to be better than all those guys; they think highly enough of #12 for him to be a dealbreaker in a trade for Braylon Edwards.

And again, it's a moot point. They aren't going to trade Smith. This is not an opinion.

Do you really think Jerry Reese and Kevin Abrams would willingly paint themselves into an unmanageable financial situation?

More to the point, if they get Edwards, Plax is out. He might be out even if they don't get Braylon...

I'm sure if I can sit here and discuss this on a message board, Giants management is already light years ahead of anything I have to say about the subject. I was merely tossing out some thoughts that occured to me during reading this thread. I agree that if they get Edwards Plax is out, it would only make sense.

I'm sure if I can sit here and discuss this on a message board, Giants management is already light years ahead of anything I have to say about the subject. I was merely tossing out some thoughts that occured to me during reading this thread. I agree that if they get Edwards Plax is out, it would only make sense.

I think he's gone in any scenario. And that's indepedent of how his trial is resolved. I would put the odds of him returning at about 25%.

I'm telling you that the Giants have no interest in Harrison (which, apparently, is something they have in common with 31 other teams). The same can be said of all the other names you trotted out earlier. The Giants consider Smith to be better than all those guys; they think highly enough of #12 for him to be a dealbreaker in a trade for Braylon Edwards.

And again, it's a moot point. They aren't going to trade Smith. This is not an opinion.

Right now. You have no idea, and neither do I, that if pressed, they wouldn't trade him.

Personally, I think they would be fools to not do it if Smith is what Cleveland wanted. 57 catches, 574 yards, and ONE TD. I would be OK with going with someone else to replace that massive production, while watching Eli throw touchdowns to Braylon every Sunday.