SportsWrath

More Smokescreen?

BronxRik

- Bunch of throws are just screens

- On most of these down field throws, the receiver is bailing him out by making amazing catches (eg Walker, who himself is a good WR prospect this draft). He's under throwing it in many instances on these long passes

- Constant overthrows in intermediate routes, in key situations too

- Outside of the screens and WR's bailing him out, his competitions are few and far.

- Blows the game winning pass on an easy pass at the end of the game in the first OT

18 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Didn't they just run the ball a bunch out of I? Strong I?

Not really pro style since all McCarthy did was hand the ball off 500+ times the last two years.

All the experts and analysts call it a pro style system.  It was probably a pro style system. 

unless that’s part of the smokescreen.  

11 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Who?

read almost any scouting report on him. Read almost any article about him.  

just Google jj McCarthy pro style and it pulls up so many articles where it’s talked about. 

Michigan obviously runs a pro-style offense.

It's more of a 'pro-style' offense than some pro teams run, lol..... including Daboll's or Shurmur's Giants. 

McCarthy played under center, he has experience turning his back to the D and running legit play action. I don't know how their passing concepts stack up compared to a true NFL offense, but I can recognize that they weren't running half-field reads or one read and pull it down play design, like we've been suffering through with Jones. 

18 hours ago, Herc said:

If our front office loves McCarthy I’ll take him.  They have my trust and I like his makeup

They do?  I'm honestly still kind of on the fence about them.  That first draft was awful, I felt like last year's was pretty good.  I don't understand the Brian Burns trade. 

From my perspective the jury is still fully out.  I don't think McCarthy is the answer. 

9 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

They do?  I'm honestly still kind of on the fence about them.  That first draft was awful, I felt like last year's was pretty good.  I don't understand the Brian Burns trade. 

From my perspective the jury is still fully out.  I don't think McCarthy is the answer. 

You’re not available so I have to settle for the next best thing 

19 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Was it? If Thibs, Robinson, and McFadden turn out to be solid starters, which it looks like they're on track to, that's a fairly average draft. Then you have depth pieces, contributors in Flott and Bellinger. Granted, the Neal pick could be a big bust and that's a factor bringing down the 2022 draft grade.

Getting 3 starters out of a draft is pretty decent.

Look at 2022 and compare it to 2021....2021 was a fucking bad draft.

My serious answer is that I’m judging him more on what he’s focusing on—the line, corners, pass rushers, not allocating a lot of resources to rbs and safeties.  I agree with this method of team building and can forgive a potential miss like Neal who anyone who needed a tackle would’ve drafted high.  I just want a front office who doesn’t draft running backs #2.  Honestly if we didn’t overachieve in 2022 I don’t think he even tags Barkley and he obviously doesn’t pay jones—it’s just the playoff win probably made them feel pressure to keep the team together for another shot 

1 hour ago, Herc said:

My serious answer is that I’m judging him more on what he’s focusing on—the line, corners, pass rushers, not allocating a lot of resources to rbs and safeties.  I agree with this method of team building and can forgive a potential miss like Neal who anyone who needed a tackle would’ve drafted high.  I just want a front office who doesn’t draft running backs #2.  Honestly if we didn’t overachieve in 2022 I don’t think he even tags Barkley and he obviously doesn’t pay jones—it’s just the playoff win probably made them feel pressure to keep the team together for another shot 

I agree completely with this assessment.  Running backs are not to be overpaid.  Barkley IMHO was not better than OJ Anderson, Tiki, Joe Morris, Jacobs, and Bradshaw for the Giants... he was a Hampton for me.  A big part in winning mostly meaningless games and a shelf life of 5 years.  He may find himself more of a focus in Filthy and get pounded repeatedly.  I expect to see Barkley leave the league in no more than 3 years at best.  RB money... not breakthrough money.  I only wish we we had tagged him and let DJ walk.  The average Giants fan would have died... not me who has been watching since 1968.  I have seen a lot of lean years and great years.... it gives you a lot perspective.  We have to just turn the page...

On 3/29/2024 at 11:28 PM, Sephiroth said:

?? I thought the Brian Burns trade was the best of the lot. An excellent edge rusher who is versatile and very young and who might not even have hit his ceiling yet. Imagine that kind of a player with Dex and Thibs on the same line - a luxury he didnt have at Carolina.

And yeah, I dont think McCarthy is the answer either. Its going to be Nabers or MHJ in the 1st is my guess. I see a lot of mock drafts where MHJ is falling to us.

17 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

?? I thought the Brian Burns trade was the best of the lot. An excellent edge rusher who is versatile and very young and who might not even have hit his ceiling yet. Imagine that kind of a player with Dex and Thibs on the same line - a luxury he didnt have at Carolina.

And yeah, I dont think McCarthy is the answer either. Its going to be Nabers or MHJ in the 1st is my guess. I see a lot of mock drafts where MHJ is falling to us.

Burns arguably had a better line for at least one year when he played with Derek Brown and Hassan Reddick. He put up 8 sacks that year.

I've always thought that you draft potential, but you pay production. Burns hasn't had a season yet to warrant a contract this big. 

Like you, I'd love Nabers ot MHJ at six. I'll be disappointed if we reach again for a QB.

21 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Burns arguably had a better line for at least one year when he played with Derek Brown and Hassan Reddick. He put up 8 sacks that year.

I've always thought that you draft potential, but you pay production. Burns hasn't had a season yet to warrant a contract this big. 

Like you, I'd love Nabers ot MHJ at six. I'll be disappointed if we reach again for a QB.

He put up 9 sacks and made the pro bowl the year you’re talking about. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

He put up 9 sacks and made the pro bowl the year you’re talking about. 

Exactly my point. That's a nice season but it's not the second best season by an EDGE player in the league in literally any season.

4 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Exactly my point. That's a nice season but it's not the second best season by an EDGE player in the league in literally any season.

Who said it was?

4 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Yeah and in 2 years this contract will be pretty average. 

I just don't think he's worth that kind of money +2 picks. It's fine if you guys do. On a team this bad, spending like that on a "good not great" edge who's largely one-dimensional isn't a wise investment IMO.

12 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I just don't think he's worth that kind of money +2 picks. It's fine if you guys do. On a team this bad, spending like that on a "good not great" edge who's largely one-dimensional isn't a wise investment IMO.

Nothing this team has done in the past 12 years has been wise.

Albeit we haven't don't anything like this prior.

So atleast it's something new. 

Also in two years Thibs will be getting a contract which will probably dwarf this Burns contract.

Granted by then the cap is probably north of 250 million and 30+ million contracts are the norm for your top 5 guys on the team. 

On 4/1/2024 at 8:30 AM, BlueInCanada said:

Nothing this team has done in the past 12 years has been wise.

Albeit we haven't don't anything like this prior.

So atleast it's something new. 

I hesitate to say literally nothing. Andrew Thomas and Dexter Lawrence are franchise players. Bobby Okereke seems like a great signing, and bargain considering the cap this year and some of the contracts flying around. Can't complain there.

The wise moves have been few and far between though.

On 3/31/2024 at 8:14 PM, Sephiroth said:

He's being paid like a TJ Watt, Myles Garrett, or Nick Bosa, but has like half the production. Actually he's being paid more than them. Definitely overpaid.

If he puts up say 12 or more sacks, we'll all be shutting up. If he puts up 8-9, it'll look a bloated contract for a good not great player. This all really reminds me of Olivier Vernon, who as a player, I couldn't get upset with because he was pretty solid, but more was frustrated at the front office because he was just paid so much. Though I think Burns is a little better than Vernon.