SportsWrath

More Smokescreen?

BronxRik

On 4/3/2024 at 9:29 AM, Mr. P said:

I also just read a stat, and I don’t subscribe to pff so I can’t confirm it, but last season the panthers defense had 200 less passing downs than the year before and Burns specifically had 300 less passing downs last season than Crosby. 

Your stats are gonna look a little lower when you have 300 less chances than others. 

Hence, stats don’t tell the whole story. 

chances don't matter for rate-based stats, like PRWR. 

13 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

chances don't matter for rate-based stats, like PRWR. 

I didn’t post it to argue rate-based stats, like prwr. 

and chances can matter for stats like that because it provides more opportunities to improve your prwr. 

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I didn’t post it to argue rate-based stats, like prwr. 

and chances can matter for stats like that because it provides more opportunities to improve your prwr. 

no, there's an equal, if not slightly greater chance that more opportunities might lower the prwr, or any other rate-based stat. That's why there's typically a minimum snap count (or whatever the denominator is) to be considered a leader in any rate-based stat. 

33 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

no, there's an equal, if not slightly greater chance that more opportunities might lower the prwr, or any other rate-based stat. That's why there's typically a minimum snap count (or whatever the denominator is) to be considered a leader in any rate-based stat. 

but you concede that more opportunities matters when talking about sack totals, which was in fact one of the things being talked about. 

27 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

but you concede that more opportunities matters when talking about sack totals, which was in fact one of the things being talked about. 

for sure.

that's why I don't care much about sack totals. If we're going to evaluate based on stats, then show me pressure rates, win rates, sacks+pressures+TFL/snap, things like that. Scheme matters a ton too, maybe a guy just wasn't being asked to do what he does best. 

Not sure either is a good argument for Burns though. Or maybe it is, I can't tell you the first thing about the Panthers defense in recent seasons. 

16 hours ago, jranieli said:

12 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Sounds like someone leaking shit so the Giants don't take him

I had heard this about six weeks ago but hadn't heard since so I thought it was bullshit. This might push Odunze over Nabers for me if it's true.

LSU wide receiver Malik Nabers when asked about the idea of being drafted by the Giants in the 2024 NFL Draft:

"That's a decision that's going to have to be placed when I hear my name called. I don't know where I'm going. Going to New York, it wouldn't be a bad idea. The quarterback situation, I know they're going to figure it out, especially if they have a caliber receiver coming like me. They're going to want to get me the ball, so I'm sure they're going to want to have a quarterback that can do that."

We all said the same kind of thing about Barkley not having an Oline when we drafted him. I don't know why, but this just sounds a little arrogant to me. 

1 hour ago, BronxRik said:

We all said the same kind of thing about Barkley not having an Oline when we drafted him. I don't know why, but this just sounds a little arrogant to me. 

How so? Just curious.

He is just being realistic and knows what he is coming to.  I think that is a good thing to tell you the truth.  As long as he is not the next Toney I am fine with his responses... and the "off field bullshit".  Tired of the Giants looking for Boy Scouts.  It is like armies looking for priests and nuns during a war... you may find them but do you want them.  LT probably snorted more cocaine than the next ten people combined but he was the best player ever for the NFL.  Changed the game all by himself.  He was so good that the Giants got rid of Brad van Pelt, and Gregory who were good inside linebackers for the Giants and were perceived by management as negative drug influences on LT.  The team wanted Harry Carson (top notch ILB in 3/4 system) and Harry Martin (great DE in a 3/4) and a good soldier as LT's main influences.  Ancient history from 1981 onward that is forgotten.  Knowing now.... van Pelt and Gregory were probably just convenient scapegoats and turned LT on to where he could score rather than the ones who "influenced" him to where he could score.  :)

47 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Even the wide receiver we might draft thinks we should draft a qb. 

I know during the interviews and whatnot with prospects, the kids get to ask and learn about the team and everything as well.

I'm sure "So who's throwing me the ball?" has been asked quite a number of times this offseason during these meetings since who wants to get drafted by a team who was starting Tommy DiVito at one point last year. 

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

How so? Just curious.

The "That's a decision that's going to have to be placed when I hear my name called" part. Like he would try and get out of being drafted by us. I could absolutely be wrong, I didn't see his expression or hear his voice inflection, or any of that. Just going off the text it sounds like he thinks he has some decision to make, that's all. 

24 minutes ago, BronxRik said:

The "That's a decision that's going to have to be placed when I hear my name called" part. Like he would try and get out of being drafted by us. I could absolutely be wrong, I didn't see his expression or hear his voice inflection, or any of that. Just going off the text it sounds like he thinks he has some decision to make, that's all. 

Well I mean he could sit out or just outright refuse to play, wasting the Giants pick and a year of his pro career.

If we truly didn't like whatever made up situation these articles are trying to make it out to be.

I just find it funny how suddenly Nabers is a head case a couple weeks before the draft.

Probably the Giants putting shit out there hoping he falls. 

Yeah, it's all head games and strategy up until the actual day. I don't think he's a head case, I just hope it's not a reverse Eli situation except this time we're stuck with a disgruntled player before we even pick him.

I'll never forget that look on Eli's face when the Chargers took him and he actually thought he was gonna have to play there.

9 hours ago, BronxRik said:

Yeah, it's all head games and strategy up until the actual day. I don't think he's a head case, I just hope it's not a reverse Eli situation except this time we're stuck with a disgruntled player before we even pick him.

I'll never forget that look on Eli's face when the Chargers took him and he actually thought he was gonna have to play there.

Bl_hreZCUAAzbyz.jpg:large

8 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Not Tiki's biggest fan, but I agree.

Am a Tiki fan - and yes I also agree with his assessment. We are not going QB this year unless by some miracle Maye falls to us at 6. Its going to be Rome or Nabers or MAYBE Alt

8 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

Am a Tiki fan - and yes I also agree with his assessment. We are not going QB this year unless by some miracle Maye falls to us at 6. Its going to be Rome or Nabers or MAYBE Alt

Yeah...I have firmly been in the trade up for Williams/Maye/Daniels if you can...but if not, take best non QB at 6.

Would not be mad at trading back and getting Penix at 15 or so either...but that takes someone coming up for somebody...which I hope is why they have been so public about wanting McCarthy...so someone else comes up for him