SportsWrath

Wink resigns...

gmenroc

Giants are bringing in Ravens DB coach Dennard Wilson for a second interview for DC.

Apparently an up and coming name in league circles according to pundits. 

Ravens secondary has been top 5 in least amount of TDs and yards given up since he's been the coach the last two years. 

22 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Also has any single team shown any interest in Wink?

For a guy who played the victim card he sure isn't as highly sought after as he may have believed. 

His time is done I would say.  Time to retire completely or hide out in the college commentary booth and not get his with big questions.  Time to just start collecting the checks and enjoying retirement I would say.

On 1/27/2024 at 5:59 PM, BlueInCanada said:

Also has any single team shown any interest in Wink?

For a guy who played the victim card he sure isn't as highly sought after as he may have believed. 

Not sure how many HC positions are still open, or how far along those that were recently filled are in filling out their staffs.

I think he would serve a new HC well as a DC because the new HC could adjust to the job slower knowing the defense is being handled with an experienced guy, but his exit from the Giants may indicate the opposite to other teams.

He has a chance to latch on somewhere, but yeah, I am a little surprised there aren't more rumors floating around about him.

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

It’s surprising he hasn’t had more interviews…. until you consider that probably not many head coaches want a guy who’s liable to run to the media.

Having a DC who's going to storm out of the room calling everyone a bitch and then ghost the organization for a week or so after the HC makes some coaching changes isn't something many teams want lol

4 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Kind of funny watching Spags become the best DC in the NFL, granted he learned a lot along the way after leaving the Giants.

Well Spags actually left to become a HC otherwise I dont think the Giants would have ever let  him go. Only after he bombed as HC that he went back to being one of the best DCs in the league

6 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

Well Spags actually left to become a HC otherwise I dont think the Giants would have ever let  him go. Only after he bombed as HC that he went back to being one of the best DCs in the league

He bombed at head coach, then became one of the worst dc’s in the league before going back to being one of the best. 

3 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

he's a better DC now than he ever was with us. 

DC with us... rush the front four... substitute in two fresh guys and hope the secondary holds on long enough for a sack, pressure and/or QB hurry.  Mix/repeat as a new age John Fox.... mix, stir and repeat. ;)  For the most part I am a big believer that the player makes most of the coaches everywhere.  Phil Jackson and his bullshit college level triangle offense needed MJ, Kobe Bryant and Shack too work.  If he had mediocre and/or good players we would not have heard of his bullshit.

47 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

DC with us... rush the front four... substitute in two fresh guys and hope the secondary holds on long enough for a sack, pressure and/or QB hurry.  Mix/repeat as a new age John Fox.... mix, stir and repeat. ;)  For the most part I am a big believer that the player makes most of the coaches everywhere.  Phil Jackson and his bullshit college level triangle offense needed MJ, Kobe Bryant and Shack too work.  If he had mediocre and/or good players we would not have heard of his bullshit.

works both ways too.  Jordan and Kobe didn’t win any championships without Phil Jackson. 

Kansas City have drafted well the last few years on defense and Spags has a lot to work with. I don't think he's necessarily better, he just has better tools right now.

He's a good guy who works hard and will be employed in the league for a long time. He deserves any recognition he deserves. 

I think there was also a lot of talk from players and ex-players about Wink overall - thats probably the reason why he has no interest from other teams for even DC, let alone HC. He might end up being a LB or DB coach or assistant DC or some shit

2 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

I think there was also a lot of talk from players and ex-players about Wink overall - thats probably the reason why he has no interest from other teams for even DC, let alone HC. 

Seems like it. Makes me wonder to what extent, if any, Daboll getting McKinney's back vs Wink was a political machination. 

Let’s not forget, Bobby Okereke immediately spoke out in opposition to what McKinney said. 

McKinney's complaint was hardly unanimous. It seemed to be more isolated than anything else.

"That's not my perspective or interpretation of what we got going on," linebacker and first-year captain Bobby Okereke said. "But I never want to invalidate his perspective and how he feels. I know him, Wink and [Daboll] talked about it and got to some type of agreement, understanding."

We kind of just open the floor," Okereke said. "'Does anyone have anything? Clear the air. Are there any conversations, anything from the locker room that you want to be brought to my attention?' We talk about the schedule for the week. We talk about the musts offensively, defensively. We talk about the plan. Coach asks if there is anything you want to add. Boom, boom, boom. Open discussions."

3 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

I think there was also a lot of talk from players and ex-players about Wink overall - thats probably the reason why he has no interest from other teams for even DC, let alone HC. He might end up being a LB or DB coach or assistant DC or some shit

Don't think I've read anything other than McKinney having a pissing fit about Wink, or anything from former players, etc. 

Everything I've seen players absolutely love the guy and playing for him. 

It's the rest of the situation that makes Wink look like a fucking man child who can't control his temper and what's jeopardized his chance for a possible DC spot elsewhere.

I'm sure the Mara's have used some of their sway as well in league circles to shit ball him more with how he whined to the media. 

McKinney is a bitch.  I put no stock in anything he says.

its a shame things worked out the way they did.  I think this staff could’ve made it work and even though I’ve always felt uneasy about blitzing so much, the guys played hard for wink all year.