SportsWrath

Wink resigns...

gmenroc

3 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Fuck.

Also not for nothing, but we really built a lot of this defensive personnel around what Wink liked to do. 

That's the problem wit any coordinator really.

They build the team around their style and if they are successful they leave to go be HCs elsewhere and your left hoping you can pick up the pieces.

If the Raiders don't hire AP as HC, bring him in as the next DC. 

19 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

That's the problem wit any coordinator really.

They build the team around their style and if they are successful they leave to go be HCs elsewhere and your left hoping you can pick up the pieces.

If the Raiders don't hire AP as HC, bring him in as the next DC. 

Would absolutely love AP here.  Think the sample size for a HC gig might be small for him.  He should get some looks tho

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

This reflects poorly on Daboll. 

But if he leaves for a HC gig.

How does that reflect poorly on Daboll?

Now if Wink becomes a DC for some obscure teams then yeah doesn't look good. 

2 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

.the comment that there were some differences still lingering and his willingness to leave for another dc or hc spot is telling.

And that it came out within an hour of Daboll saying he expects both DC and OC back raises questions on how well Daboll knows his guys.

Not gonna read too much into it other than two guys who didn't or couldn't fully bury the hatchet

11 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

because there have been multiple reports that it’s because of a rift between the two of them. 

it doesn’t look good when you retain a guy and he says “no, I’d rather not”

14 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Most guys don’t resign, they announce they are open to interviewing for HC positions, if they announce anything. Wink just said I don’t know where I’ll be coaching next year, but I know where it won’t be. 

And it does look real bad for Daboll and you have to wonder how he can’t get along with a guy with a good reputation, god success record, appears to be well liked.   

27 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

because there have been multiple reports that it’s because of a rift between the two of them. 

it doesn’t look good when you retain a guy and he says “no, I’d rather not”

But this is nothing new, very few coordinators ever fulfill the full contract.

He did the same in Baltimore after four years as DC, he resigned from the team.

If there was a rift then so be it, but to act like WInk is leaving solely because of Daboll is silly IMO.

17 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

But this is nothing new, very few coordinators ever fulfill the full contract.

He did the same in Baltimore after four years as DC, he resigned from the team.

If there was a rift then so be it, but to act like WInk is leaving solely because of Daboll is silly IMO.

hey it’s just my opinion man. 

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Best me too it Gmen.

Link for those interested.

bound to happen with how well the defense played. 

He needs to move on... get a college head coaching job (more likely than the pros at this point), go into the booth and/or retire to enjoy life.  Let Daboll sink or swim with "his guys" I say.  This worked out well for everyone.  Wink is too old and established to eat cock.  He would have chafed under Parcells and/or Coughlin as well.

He's done himself a lot of favors this season with his playcalling, I don't think he's head coach material but I expect he's going to get some opportunities for defensive coordinators and get himself a bigger payday.

1 minute ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

He needs to move on... get a college head coaching job (more likely than the pros at this point), go into the booth and/or retire to enjoy life.  Let Daboll sink or swim with "his guys" I say.  This worked out well for everyone.  Wink is too old and established to eat cock.  He would have chafed under Parcells and/or Coughlin as well.

I think you've knocked it on the head T. He's a decade older than Daboll and probably looks down the line and says to himself why isn't that him?. He's 60 years old. I can't see him getting head coach, but if someone gives him better money and perhaps and assistant head coach job, he looks at that as a victory.

1 minute ago, boohyah said:

He's done himself a lot of favors this season with his playcalling, I don't think he's head coach material but I expect he's going to get some opportunities for defensive coordinators and get himself a bigger payday.

For sure if he wants to do the DC thing again.  If it was me with his resume I would be the Athletic Director and Football Coach at some Division I or Division II school where I could burrow in and last five to ten years till retirement.  If he has the skills he should be the new Madden in the booth.  I don't Wink has much to prove anymore... just my opinion.

On 1/8/2024 at 6:16 PM, boohyah said:

I think you've knocked it on the head T. He's a decade older than Daboll and probably looks down the line and says to himself why isn't that him?. He's 60 years old. I can't see him getting head coach, but if someone gives him better money and perhaps and assistant head coach job, he looks at that as a victory.

Spot on Boohyah.  I found myself thinking similar things in jobs I held long term.  At a certain point you have seen all of the mountains and its time to settle down.  Daboll has a lot of pressure on him and Wink does not need the fish bowl of the Giants.  He is too old and experienced to be treated as an up and coming DC/OC.  I would ring up Prime Time (lol) any Division I or II schools that need a man tor revitalize the school/football team.  Other than that just go after the Benjamins.  Maybe a scouting department somewhere needs a lunch pail guy lie him.  Wink has a plan... he did the same thing at Baltimore.  He is like a cat.  Now Daboll has to squeeze his ass tight and hope he births a watermelon. ;)

45 minutes ago, GorillaNJ said:

I don't how successful they would be, but it sure would be fun if Wink were the HC of the Giants.  

Have to think this moves the Giants away from drafting a QB, imagine Daboll is feeling the hot seat building and probably doesn't want to go into next season with a rookie and wants to give Jones ebvery lastn opportunity. 

Frankly, I don't think any of this is going to bother Schoen or Daboll. That's the pairing that matters in this organization. We could have lost both coordinators last season.

Might be time for Jerome Henderson to step up.