SportsWrath

Wink resigns...

gmenroc

9 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Just fire the guy then. 

He's a good coach, I don't think they wanted to fire him.... I think they wanted to keep him if he were willing to at least pretend not be a big baby.

And also, why fire him if you can get him out without owing him money while controlling which team he can go to? This is good for us. Wouldn't want to see him twice a year in DC. 

5 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

So apparently Wink has NOT resigned yet - some sort of stuff still going on.

Plus the guy who posted that story of Wink's fight with Daboll came out and admitted that it was fake - so no point in reading into it.

More should become clear in the next day or so

I saw most of that too, so he's just a no-call, no-show. Hadn't seen the part about the argument being a joke story though. 

I feel kind of bad for Wink now.... this is past unprofessional and into the area that I have to wonder about his mental health. What NFL will want to hire him after this? 

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

If we fire him we owe him money which goes towards the cap.

He goes AWOL like he has we can probbably just suspend him without paying him a cent. 

it doesn’t count against the cap. 

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

He's a good coach, I don't think they wanted to fire him.... I think they wanted to keep him if he were willing to at least pretend not be a big baby.

And also, why fire him if you can get him out without owing him money while controlling which team he can go to? This is good for us. Wouldn't want to see him twice a year in DC. 

why fire him?  Because playing games like this is dumb, just fire the guy and move on.  Who cares about John Maras money, who cares where he goes to coach.   

2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

not what I asked

I'd see what he has to say then determine what to do from there. 

Clearly it's no harm with what the Giants are doing waiting to hear from Wink. 

It's funny to think that Wink might sit out a whole year because Dabs fired some of his assistants lol 

15 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

why fire him?  Because playing games like this is dumb, just fire the guy and move on.  Who cares about John Maras money, who cares where he goes to coach.   

You lost me, what kind of logic is that? Its literally Schoen's job to care about Mara's money. Its not Daboll's 'job', but it impacts him, so I'm sure he cares as well. And even I care about where Wink goes to coach next, so I'm guessing Schoen and Daboll sure have an opinion on it too. 

Wink is good, I wouldn't want to face his D twice a season. He can go back to the AFC or he can sit on his ass in 2024. He's under contract. 

Someone was going to the media to leak the Wink/Daboll conflict. Someone was going to the media to air out grievances with specific players (I thought McKinney was a dumbass too, so I just laughed at it, but still --- pretty shitty by a so called 'player's coach'). Someone just up and walked off their job paying over $1 million a year. I think we all should understand a little better now why things came to an end in Baltimore. Someone is a little bitch and his name is Wink. 

11 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

You lost me, what kind of logic is that? Its literally Schoen's job to care about Mara's money. Its not Daboll's 'job', but it impacts him, so I'm sure he cares as well. And even I care about where Wink goes to coach next, so I'm guessing Schoen and Daboll sure have an opinion on it too. 

Wink is good, I wouldn't want to face his D twice a season. He can go back to the AFC or he can sit on his ass in 2024. He's under contract. 

Someone was going to the media to leak the Wink/Daboll conflict. Someone was going to the media to air out grievances with specific players (I thought McKinney was a dumbass too, so I just laughed at it, but still --- pretty shitty by a so called 'player's coach'). Someone just up and walked off their job paying over $1 million a year. I think we all should understand a little better now why things came to an end in Baltimore. Someone is a little bitch and his name is Wink. 

I wasn’t giving Schoen’s opinion, I was giving my opinion. 

and someone doing the things you say, deserves to be fired. 

17 minutes ago, jranieli said:

I don't want him going to the Eagles or Washington. I guess Washington is okay, but not Philadelphia. Let him quit. 

is that really how you want our team to operate?  Play games to force people to quit when we want them gone instead of just doing what every team has always done forever and just firing them?

I certainly don’t. 

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I wasn’t giving Schoen’s opinion, I was giving my opinion. 

and someone doing the things you say, deserves to be fired. 

LOL, no, you asked who cared. A rhetorical question perhaps, but none the less a useless rhetorical question to your point given the folks running the team are obviously going to care.

And no, I don't think someone who tries to manipulate opinions via the media necessarily deserves to be fired. It's a valid tactic. Lots of coaches operate that way. In his own way, I'm Daboll does as well. For ex. - the game balls to McKinney, and later to Wink. Parcells was known for it. I don't see that as a 'fire the man' level issue. I see it as a 'get your ass on the same page' level issue. 

And by the way, a couple aspects of my 'reading between the lines' take on this were off ---- Wink was informed before the Wilkins brothers were fired, not after. And apparently that's when he flipped out (if he even flipped out at all). 

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

is that really how you want our team to operate?  Play games to force people to quit when we want them gone instead of just doing what every team has always done forever and just firing them?

I certainly don’t. 

I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Seems like perfectly normal workplace dynamics given the high stakes and competitive natures of all involved. 

You're evaluating this like we're talking about some dude at an office making an average living, and the poor bastard is being driven to quit to save the employer unemployment insurance cost. I'd take issue with that too. But we're not talking about some average guy engaged in at will employment. We're talking about a man with a multi-million-dollar contract. 

3 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

LOL, no, you asked who cared. A rhetorical question perhaps, but none the less a useless rhetorical question to your point given the folks running the team are obviously going to care.

And no, I don't think someone who tries to manipulate opinions via the media necessarily deserves to be fired. It's a valid tactic. Lots of coaches operate that way. In his own way, I'm Daboll does as well. For ex. - the game balls to McKinney, and later to Wink. Parcells was known for it. I don't see that as a 'fire the man' level issue. I see it as a 'get your ass on the same page' level issue. 

And by the way, a couple aspects of my 'reading between the lines' take on this were off ---- Wink was informed before the Wilkins brothers were fired, not after. And apparently that's when he flipped out (if he even flipped out at all). 

I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Seems like perfectly normal workplace dynamics given the high stakes and competitive natures of all involved. 

You're evaluating this like we're talking about some dude at an office making an average living, and the poor bastard is being driven to quit to save the employer unemployment insurance cost. I'd take issue with that too. But we're not talking about some average guy engaged in at will employment. We're talking about a man with a multi-million-dollar contract. 

no I’m not evaluating it like some dude in an office, I just have a different opinion than you do. 

On 1/8/2024 at 9:48 PM, boohyah said:

Frankly, I don't think any of this is going to bother Schoen or Daboll. That's the pairing that matters in this organization. We could have lost both coordinators last season.

Might be time for Jerome Henderson to step up.

I think this is a case of addition by subtraction... unstoppable force meets immovable object.  Neither are right and neither is wrong.  Daboll is the head coach and Schoen is holding his hand.  This is all that anyone needs to know as to the power dynamics. 

On 1/9/2024 at 10:43 AM, CrazedDogs said:

WOW!

reading between the lines a bit, there's a clever bit of gamesmanship from Daboll and Schoen. Drew Wilkins is one of Wink's friends and he has been mentoring Wilkins towards a DC gig of his own. So Wink was being 'retained', but then Daboll and Schoen go behind his back and can the closest guy to Wink on the staff, probably knowing that Wink would lose his shit and resign.... thereby saving them the hassle (financial and otherwise) of canning Wink directly. Smart!

And so Wink comes off as kind of a pussy. Its a tough business and Wilkins was the one position coach on D whose group had clearly underdeveloped and underperformed. Daboll canned his friend who wasn't cutting it, Bobby Johnson. Wink couldn't stomach the same deal on his side of the ball. Thats the reason one of them is a head coach, and the other is out of a job. 

This seems like a maneuver I used back in the day.  Let people do the work for you.  After it is all said and done Daboll is the head coach.  We have had great DC's on the Giants going back to Lombardi and Belichik... Wink is good but is not in that conversation.  We will survive.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Lol so all that and they still can’t control where he coaches next. 

So you wanted the Giants to just fire him, and now you wanted them to control where he went?

Dude.

And I mean dude. 

11 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

So you wanted the Giants to just fire him, and now you wanted them to control where he went?

Dude.

And I mean dude. 

no.  part of the argument for not firing him was to be able to keep him out of the division.   Him simply resigning would mean the giants could keep him from coaching in the division.  I wanted them to just fire him meaning i obviously didn’t want them to control where he goes. 

And dude, come on, a few hours ago you thought coaching staff salaries counted against the cap. 

12 hours ago, Mr. P said:

no I’m not evaluating it like some dude in an office, I just have a different opinion than you do. 

lol, but that difference of opinion clearly is that Wink = some average dude in an office done wrong. 

12 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Lol so all that and they still can’t control where he coaches next. 

do we know that? Mutually agreed to part ways doesn't equate to 'fired'. Sounds like there was a settlement. 

3 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

lol, but that difference of opinion clearly is that Wink = some average dude in an office done wrong. 

do we know that? Mutually agreed to part ways doesn't equate to 'fired'. Sounds like there was a settlement. 

Ok, you decide what I’m thinking, clearly I’m not the one who knows what’s going in my brain. Besides the fact that we have never fired a coordinator this way before.  Wink must be the first coordinator in the nfl who isn’t some dude in an office.  

but by all means, You tell Me what My opinion is. 

and yes, we know that. 

https://x.com/jordanraanan/status/1745164495352119511?s=46&t=B-wvlAsauGwtGs1QZIT5Bg

confirmed by Stapleton as well