Herc

At this point, in addition to Ward and James on cheap vet minimum deals, I'd:

- Look to restructure possibilities to enable an additional $5-10M in cap space

- Julian Love, 3 years $22M

- Sign a guy like  Graham Glasgow for the IOL on a cheap 3 year $16M deal

- Sign Nelson Agholor or DJ Chark for 2 years $11M

Draft WR, CB, IOL

2 hours ago, boohyah said:

I don't know why you pointed out he had 2 great seasons?. The guy averages around 11-12 yards a catch regardless of injury shortened season. In the last 4 years when he's on the field he produces.

Because it’s the truth. Being on pace to have a great season isn’t the same as having a great season. 

I don’t think Waller is going to be a 0 dead money guy.  It’s hard to believe they aren’t going to restructure him and for a third round pick they gotta be looking at him as more than a one year flyer 

11 hours ago, BronxRik said:

The WR FA market isn't all that great. Waller will get doubled. Who's going to benefit from that?

Richie fucking James, that's who. He's about to have a Jerry Rice-esque season. 

What about Hopkins from AZ?   Too expensive or aleady signed with another team?

2 hours ago, Herc said:

I don’t think Waller is going to be a 0 dead money guy.  It’s hard to believe they aren’t going to restructure him and for a third round pick they gotta be looking at him as more than a one year flyer 

It'll depend on Schoen's goals. I can see him not restructuring. If he likes having no dead cap, he'll keep the contract as is.

If instead he wants to use Waller to reduce the cap this year, then he'll try to restructure.

To me the bigger opportunity to restructure (or even consider cutting him) is Leonard Williams, with his $32M contract.

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

It'll depend on Schoen's goals. I can see him not restructuring. If he likes having no dead cap, he'll keep the contract as is.

If instead he wants to use Waller to reduce the cap this year, then he'll try to restructure.

To me the bigger opportunity to restructure (or even consider cutting him) is Leonard Williams, with his $32M contract.

Agree with that.  I think I read somewhere they had like 9 mil left not counting okereke cuz his numbers aren’t out yet so one or more of dex/Williams/Waller/jackson prob has to happen soon

1 hour ago, boohyah said:

Shit don't bring up Hopkins in here. If you think Waller is injury prone and the wrong side of 30...:)

Admittedly I don't know much about other players outside of the NY Giants... thanks for putting that to rest then.   I like Waller a lot.   

What in the actual hell are the Las Vegas Raiders smoking?

Trading away Darren Waller makes you look stoned and doesn’t better your team

Finding advantages other teams don’t have is a key to success in the NFL. If it’s a rare every-down running back, keep him and pay him. Could you imagine one of the NFL teams with an elite quarterback shipping them away no matter what assets they receive in return? Then you have what the Las Vegas Raiders reportedly did on Tuesday, sending former Pro Bowl tight end Darren Waller to the New York Giants for only a third-round pick (No. 100 overall) in this year’s draft. A clear advantage pushed from coast to coast so you can select someone on Day 2 of the NFL Draft? Pass whatever weed you have to me because that logic is mind-numbing.

Waller recently got married this month too. His wife, Las Vegas Aces star Kelsey Plum, can now celebrate her first weeks as Mrs. Waller sorting through the crazy real-estate market of New York City, well, East Rutherford, New Jersey. Maybe that’ll make things easier so you don’t pay $5000 a month in rent for a 700 sq. ft. apartment with a private bathroom across from an old man who lets his cat pee in the hallway. Now that’s what I call luxury. Waller’s entrance to the Giants confirms that the NFC East is the best division in football. The Super Bowl runner-up, an always-solid Cowboys’ squad, the Commanders, who’ve had a great offseason by bringing Eric Bieniemy into the fold as offensive coordinator, and now New York makes a big splash to keep last year’s momentum going.

As far as what Waller leaves behind in Las Vegas, it’s far from paradise. The Broncos were the NFL’s most disappointing team last season but they won’t stay down for long with Sean Payton at the helm. And how do Raiders fans think they can compete with the Chargers or Chiefs? They’re light years better than y’all. One of the only foundational pieces Las Vegas had to build for a better future will now play his home games across the street from the second biggest mall in America. Why would Josh Jacobs commit his future to Sin City? To get handed the ball by Jimmy Garoppolo? To receive blocking from a shoddy offensive line? To finish fourth in the AFC West for the foreseeable future? Sounds like a blast!

It’s so much easier in the NFL to crumble than to build. Look at how the Commanders have fared over the last three decades, never making it past the NFC Divisional Round since a Super Bowl win 31 years ago with their Grampa Simpson rotation of quarterbacks. By trading away Waller, Raiders general manager Dave Ziegler admits he’s not interested in having Las Vegas win anything, anytime soon. The pick the Raiders received for Waller was the exact one the Giants got, along with a sixth-round selection, by trading away 2021 first-round pick Kadarius Toney to the Chiefs last October. It makes New York look a little less stupid for making that deal five months ago to pretty much acquire Waller in place of the now-Super Bowl champion. The Raiders however need to put down that blunt and actually try to compete.

I think I'm coming around to this trade.

The fact that both Daboll and Kafka have seen and coached really good TEs makes me think they will know how to really use Waller.

Sure the injury concern is there but this guy might be Jones biggest weapon. 

2 hours ago, boohyah said:

Kicking the can down the road.

Well there are always too many moving parts so for now the team feels they need to add pieces given the wild performance of 2022.    

All it did was convert this years salary, which was guaranteed, to signing bonus, which is guaranteed.  Not committing more guaranteed from the looks of it.

Just spreading out THIS years cap hit.  Cutting him next year will only cost the total amount of the converted amount less the amount prorated to this year.  Its a no-brainer given no other guaranteed money.

It does kick the can a bit...because if Waller is on team next year...his cap hit goes up by the prorated portion of THIS year that got pushed to NEXT...but still negligible

35 minutes ago, Herc said:

It’s easier to move the money into another year when you’re the one shaping that year.  This off-season cap situation is still partially gettleman’s.

Golladay dead cap alone is worth two good players. 

Sure would love to have that 14.5 million.

Thanks again DG.

Fucking guy not only did at Matt Millen, he did it for two years after "retiring"