SportsWrath

Giants trading for Darren waller

Herc

I mean not for nothing, but if you do the last 3, then Waller 33, Saquon 32.

Let's stop, it's a great trade, I'm not backing down from it. And I have plenty to be upset with Waller for as he fucked up my fantasy team last year. Mind you if I can get him again this year I certainly will.

Just now, boohyah said:

I mean not for nothing, but if you do the last 3, then Waller 33, Saquon 32.

Let's stop, it's a great trade, I'm not backing down from it. And I have plenty to be upset with Waller for as he fucked up my fantasy team last year. Mind you if I can get him again this year I certainly will.

But if you go back to 2020-2021, we would have been insane to have signed DJ to such a big contract, or to extend one to Saquon.

26 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Darren Waller has started less games the last two years than those two, and less than half the games last year alone.

Last two years, starts

- Waller: 17

- Barkley: 30

- DJ: 27

So Waller doesn’t have a lot of wear and tear… right?

I’m with Booyah on this…. An instant upgrade.

4 minutes ago, mastershake said:

But if you go back to 2020-2021, we would have been insane to have signed DJ to such a big contract, or to extend one to Saquon.

Not the same, there are people out there who think we are insane to have done them now. . 

Giants have to sign guys based on the assumption they will play the entire contract  and stay healthy and base the type of contract on the players ability. Rookies they drafted last season got hurt in training camp and didn't take a snap. Doesn't make the Giants wrong for drafting them. Wandale barely played, is he a bust?.

Waller had 2 injuries, not 5 or 6. 

Yeah, there have been injuries, but the fit was never really there with McDaniels and the front office. Hell, they were talking about throwing him in as part of the Adams deal. I get all the Raiders games now that they're here and dude can ball. I think a change of scenery might be good for his health. 

The turf worries me though. :rolleyes:

52 minutes ago, boohyah said:

Not the same, there are people out there who think we are insane to have done them now. . 

Giants have to sign guys based on the assumption they will play the entire contract  and stay healthy and base the type of contract on the players ability. Rookies they drafted last season got hurt in training camp and didn't take a snap. Doesn't make the Giants wrong for drafting them. Wandale barely played, is he a bust?.

Waller had 2 injuries, not 5 or 6. 

Waller is on the wrong side of 30, coming off two injury prone seasons.

He's not a 22-23 year old with time on his side.

4 minutes ago, boohyah said:

He's played well the years that were shortened by injury also. Can't rule that out because he missed some games.

I didn’t say 3 shitty seasons, I said only that they were shortened by injury. 

Just now, BronxRik said:

The WR FA market isn't all that great. Waller will get doubled. Who's going to benefit from that?

Richie fucking James, that's who. He's about to have a Jerry Rice-esque season. 

This is a good point.  The wr market sucks.  Jakobi Myers is one of the big prizes and I’m pretty sure i saw Nelson agohlar’s name on a list 

1 hour ago, The P said:

I didn’t say 3 shitty seasons, I said only that they were shortened by injury. 

I don't know why you pointed out he had 2 great seasons?. The guy averages around 11-12 yards a catch regardless of injury shortened season. In the last 4 years when he's on the field he produces.

As long as he doesn't show up for camp and instantly go to IR for the season, I'm stoked to see him play. 

Every year we get hopeful and whatnot, but this year feels different. We've got some money, we haven't stupidly swung for the fences in trying to get big names, and while who we've signed can't be called a bargain, we have gotten guys who have production on their resumes. It's always a crap shoot, but I feel good about this year. 

- It's essentially a 3 year $35.5M contract for Waller, but with NO dead cap (can cut him at any time for no cap hit), PLUS the 100th pick.

- Obvious instant upgrade at the TE position, and in general for the passing game. Just hope he can stay healthy.

- I don't love it, but I can't complain. It's fine. Schoen could look like a genius, OR if it doesn't work out, no harm in cutting him.

- Our cap space is now down to about $9M; room for maybe one other significant FA move. If we want others in addition to one more substantial FA move, my guess is we'll likely have to restructure contracts of him, Leonard Williams, and/or Adoree Jackson (and/or extend Dexter Lawrence). Leonard Williams seems the most obvious. He's a solid player, but he's not fucking worth $32M.

- Top remaining priorities in my view are WR, IOL, CB, S, plus probably one more LB.

For cheapo signings, wouldn't mind if we brought back Richie James and Jihan Ward on 1 year vet minimum deals that basically have little to no cap implications.