SportsWrath

2023 Off-season signings

Mr. P

I really wanted to keep Jones but he has to be reasonable about his market value. 

If the window's closed on these two guys and we go into full rebuild, I think I'm actually OK with that.  I believe in this front office, even though I'd clearly do a much better job. 

13 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I really wanted to keep Jones but he has to be reasonable about his market value. 

If the window's closed on these two guys and we go into full rebuild, I think I'm actually OK with that.  I believe in this front office, even though I'd clearly do a much better job. 

It's kind of the state he was left with.

Both guys are core players on a team with not many of them and are both set to hit free agency.

The team is also in a rebuild with more of this roster being FAs next off season as well.

I trust Schoen to make the right call but this current one is really going to define his GM career here. 

2 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

It's kind of the state he was left with.

Both guys are core players on a team with not many of them and are both set to hit free agency.

The team is also in a rebuild with more of this roster being FAs next off season as well.

I trust Schoen to make the right call but this current one is really going to define his GM career here. 

Yeah I agree.  I think he'll tag Jones, drop Barkley but I guess we'll see. 

If Jones balks at the tag, trade him to a team that will pay him 45 million.  I think he'll find the tag really palatable when a trade partner doesn't materialize. 

22 minutes ago, boohyah said:

Tagging Jones means that whole hit goes on this years cap. So if Jones gets capped, Barkley could still be gone.

True, but Jones has had one good season out of four. I'm ok with having another year to evaluate him if we're expected to spend big for him in upcoming seasons. 

Also, maybe you draft a developmental guy like Levis or Richardson this year and let him sit if you can't sign Jones to a long-term deal.  I don't think those guys are ready to start but they may become good players if left to marinate for a season. 

24 minutes ago, boohyah said:

Tagging Jones means that whole hit goes on this years cap. So if Jones gets capped, Barkley could still be gone.

Also, I know he's had a good season, but Barkley has almost no leverage. There's a ton of good free agent running backs available and it's a deep RB draft as well.  Someone might overpay for him, but even if you have to wait until the first wave of FA is over, there'll be someone left that can come in and produce at a high level. 

We say that but we haven’t had anyone really produce before Barkley since prime bradshaW. 

not to mention a great part of our offense was the run pass option, teams aren’t gonna bite on the handoff like that with someone like Brightwell or Brieda. 

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

Agree

Have to commit to Longterm solutions.

Surprised they aren’t interested in tagging Barkley.  I think going year to year with a rb after rookie contract is the way to go, especially if he’s better than the tag number.  They must either really not believe in paying running backs at all or anticipate using it on Jones 

Don't overpay for guys you have.

As a 55-year veteran of Giants Love there are always better guys out there

It is just a matter of waiting for them.

I would give both decent numbers in terms of pay but I would not overpay for either.

Barkley in his own way contributed just as much to the success of an also ran playoff team.

DJ is not the second coming nor should we overpay for Barkley.

We can't afford to overpay.

7 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I think the team and both Jones and Barkley will come to terms.    I work in finance, and I see this type of gamesmanship all the time.    

4 hours ago, BronxRik said:

Drop both, draft strong and pick up Carr or Jimmy G. 

I can fix this shit better than Seph. 

Arch Manning in '25. 

I love you, Rik but no one.. and I mean no one fixes NFL teams like Seph.   

1 hour ago, Nas said:

Congratulations, Rik.   Would you consider that the norm though?

No, but I was answering a specific quote that asked when was the last time any of us got what we wanted from our employers. And that's all I was doing. Not being argumentative, or being a smartass, just answering a question. Same here, no I don't think it's the norm, but I bet it happens more than you think.