SportsWrath

Can we all agree

Storm

That maybe firing pat shurmur, the dude getting 300 yard, 4 td games out of Daniel jones with a similar roster, was probably a horrible idea? Because now we’re going to be looking at a third offensive system in three years, for probably a quarterback that isn’t Daniel jones, after Jason Garrett gets, rightly, fired.

7 hours ago, Storm said:

That maybe firing pat shurmur, the dude getting 300 yard, 4 td games out of Daniel jones with a similar roster, was probably a horrible idea? Because now we’re going to be looking at a third offensive system in three years, for probably a quarterback that isn’t Daniel jones, after Jason Garrett gets, rightly, fired.

New coaching staff... new system entirely... shittier line play, no Barkley.    One good WR.    

Nope.  Shurmur the Murmur had two years to produce, didn't do it.  Didn't inspire, won 8 games in two years.  Getting rid of him was the right call. 

Coaching is honestly the least of my worries right now.  I think overall the Giants are a pretty well-coached team.  Personnel is the problem.  

The offensive line is improving, but really four out of five of those guys should be backups.  Thomas flat-out looks bad. 

Daniel Jones is not the answer.  I like his legs, but he takes way too long to go through his reads (on TV at least... could also be no WRs are getting open).  He's had like a dozen times to win games in the last two minutes these past two years and will consistently turn the ball over instead of come through in the clutch.  Losers lose. 

Evan Engram flat-out sucks.  Levine Toilolo can't fucking block.  I have no idea what they're supposed to be bringing to the table. 

WR corps is looking better but we have a bunch of #2 guys on this team with no #1. 

D-line is good but again, very little pass rush. 

LBs are an improving unit, but no one guy that scares you there.  I think Martinez is better than advertised.

We have Bradbury in the backfield, Ryan is serviceable and literally no one else.

Special teams are awesome for once... they're a well-coached unit for sure, but you have dummies like Cameron Phlegming and Corey Ballantine not paying attention and fucking things up for the rest of the team. 

This roster is bad.  That's on Getty.  

50 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Nope.  Shurmur the Murmur had two years to produce, didn't do it.  Didn't inspire, won 8 games in two years.  Getting rid of him was the right call. 

Coaching is honestly the least of my worries right now.  I think overall the Giants are a pretty well-coached team.  Personnel is the problem.  

The offensive line is improving, but really four out of five of those guys should be backups.  Thomas flat-out looks bad. 

Daniel Jones is not the answer.  I like his legs, but he takes way too long to go through his reads (on TV at least... could also be no WRs are getting open).  He's had like a dozen times to win games in the last two minutes these past two years and will consistently turn the ball over instead of come through in the clutch.  Losers lose. 

Evan Engram flat-out sucks.  Levine Toilolo can't fucking block.  I have no idea what they're supposed to be bringing to the table. 

WR corps is looking better but we have a bunch of #2 guys on this team with no #1. 

D-line is good but again, very little pass rush. 

LBs are an improving unit, but no one guy that scares you there.  I think Martinez is better than advertised.

We have Bradbury in the backfield, Ryan is serviceable and literally no one else.

Special teams are awesome for once... they're a well-coached unit for sure, but you have dummies like Cameron Phlegming and Corey Ballantine not paying attention and fucking things up for the rest of the team. 

This roster is bad.  That's on Getty.  

DJ is fine, it's the offensive line that's the source of the problems on offense. DJ is only in his nineteenth game, has never had a great supporting cast around him starting with the OL, and it's way too early to judge. 

Don't get me wrong, if we win the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes, I think you take him, but if not, I see no reason to start all over with another rookie QB prospect. Lawrence is generational. Any other prospects in the 2021 draft will just be re-doing the last two years.

Like I said, Daniel Jones was throwing for 300 consistently last season. He’s not even throwing for 200 this season with a better team. He didn’t have Saquan for most of last year, either. Just a terrible decision for a team with a second year quarterback. 

3 minutes ago, Storm said:

Like I said, Daniel Jones was throwing for 300 consistently last season. He’s not even throwing for 200 this season with a better team. He didn’t have Saquan for most of last year, either. Just a terrible decision for a team with a second year quarterback. 

DJ doesn't have a better team. The offensive line is worse this year than it was last year, and he has no Saquon Barkely, and Slayton is obviously not healthy. The shittiness of the OL cannot be understated.  Here's what we have now:

Fleming is worse than Remmers.

Thomas is worse than Nate Solder. 

Gates is worse than Halapio.

Zeitler has clearly regressed to being an average or fringe starter.

Hernandez is about the same as last year, which is trash.

34 minutes ago, Storm said:

What are you talking about?

Barkley was gone for three games and only rushed maybe 50 times less than in 2018 and still had a pro bowl year lol

What do you mean by better team?

Tate is done, Shepard has been on IR, Slayton disappeared this year and Engram continues to disappoint. 

The Oline this year is actually worse than the one last year lol

Pat Shurmur was a dud of a HC and even OC as evident by his time in Denver right now as his O is worse than the Giants with a much more talented roster. 

I really don't agree with you at all other than Shurmur run more deep combo routes but once again teams had to fear Barkley and Shepard underneath.

This year who at all is any sort of threat on the offence? 

Jones IS the entire offence right now and i feel bad for him he's getting the Carr treatment.

3 minutes ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

Jones played well yesterday .........we win this game if Engram isn't such a cunt ....simple as that !

fuck im so angry still

If I have to listen to one more person say "but the Giants aren't using him right" I'll flip.

The guy is athletic but he isn't a football player.

10 hours ago, Storm said:

Jones had 5 300-yard games last year. Definitely better than this year, but it not like he was winging it all over the field... and a lot of that was Engram, Slayton, or Saquan taking a 10 yard in route to the house. His per-game average is down by about 50/game. Those guys just aren't playing as well this year, the O-line is somehow worse (though this last game was ok), and Jones is being exposed as a guy who is slow in his reads. 

Shurmur might be a better OC than Garrett but honestly the latter has a lot less to work with. 

This window of information interpretation is rather small.  Daniel Jones is in his second year, second offense and I see a team improving overall.  Yeah wish it was faster too and the results will come with time and patience fans lack.

The one thing I know in life is I don't want Shurmur as head coach of the Giants. Good guy, wish him the best, I'll be rooting for him at his next OC stop. 

I think Judge is the right guy. Still a lot of hope tied up in that, but I generally agree with his decision making, far more than I did Shurmur, who's end of game management more than once left me apoplectic. There may be some space between Shurmur and Garrett as offensive play designers go, but given the lack of off season prep this week seven offense is probably more comparable to a typical week two offense. I don't think we even know what we have yet.

12 hours ago, Tempest said:

This window of information interpretation is rather small.  Daniel Jones is in his second year, second offense and I see a team improving overall.  Yeah wish it was faster too and the results will come with time and patience fans lack.

Aside from the defense, in what way is the team improving overall? The record is on track to be worse. The offense is ranked 31st vs 18th last year. The offensive line is worse this year than last. Daniel Jones is worse this year than last. The running game excl. Daniel Jones is pathetic and worse. Engram is worse. Shepherd still can't stay on the field. Golden Tate has regressed and his best years are behind him.

At best, the defense got better, but the offense got worse, netting out at no improvement overall. Winning 4 games (i.e. going 3-6 the rest of the way, even seems like it might be a longshot.

And I don't want to hear "but they're competitive and in these games..." not buying it. You are what your record is, and bad teams find ways to lose games.

There's also really no indications that this offensive line will be fixed anytime soon; we're about 3 moves away from getting a starting capable, competent O-line, and our cap space after cuts won't be deep this offseason meaning if we're lucky, we'll land maybe 1 or 2 capable FA lineman.

As a reference, here are how other top FA lineman are performing vs the trash we signed:

Our trash:

C Nick Gates PFF Grade: 47.5

T Cam Fleming: 52.9

(Don't tell me we expected Nate Solder to be a capable starter here)

Other teams:

C/G Graham Glasgow: 65.8

T Bryan Bulaga: 67.8

T Jack Conklin: 79.9

T Dj Humphries: 78.9

T Andrew Whitworth: 90.1

T Ty Sambrailo: 66.8

T Joe Haeg: 73.4

T Kelvin Beachum: 68.0

There was this time against the falcons in the 4th when we were down 14 with 4 mins left, scored a td and he went for 2.  As soon as he did that he lost me.  It’s hard to rate judge so far but i know I don’t want Shurmur making game decisions for my favorite team 

On 10/24/2020 at 11:30 AM, Herc said:

There was this time against the falcons in the 4th when we were down 14 with 4 mins left, scored a td and he went for 2.  As soon as he did that he lost me.  It’s hard to rate judge so far but i know I don’t want Shurmur making game decisions for my favorite team 

Yeah and during that same game he had Eli sneak twice with no timeouts left and wasted like 30 seconds because he had shitty clock mgmt.

Then there was the 2nd Eagles game last year when Doug Pedersen was laughing at him because he didn’t know when to call a time out before the 2 minute warning.