SportsWrath

The Bullshit We Told Ourselves, 2020 Season

mastershake

- The offensive line will be much improved after 6 years of being complete dogshit.

• We have a top draft pick at LT who's going to start right away on a 2nd year QB's blindside, a QB who's prone to turnovers, but no problem there! He will be fine! Instant "upgrade" over Solder. 
  • Cam Fleming at RT whose PFF rating last year was worse than Nate Solder's, but pay no attention than that because he's still "better" than Mike Remmers!
  • C Nick Gates will be a pro-bowl center this year, and Judge is just being coy about not naming him the official starter over Pulley yet. (Okay, I actually think he'll be good).
  • G Will Hernandez will finally return to the pro-bowler he clearly was his rookie season when he showed us he was the next coming of Chris Snee.
  • G Kevin Zeitler's back injury is totally healed since last year, and at age 30 in the NFL, his back will not be a factor at all. He'll return to pro-bowl caliber form and I fully expect 16 starts at full health!  

- Just look at all the promising pass rushers on this team!

• Lorenzo Carter is the next Dwight Freeney! Look at how good a camp he's having!
  • Kyler Fackrell will totally emulate that one 10 sack season he had that one year...and NOT the 1-2 sack seasons he had all the other years. The Packers are total suckers for letting him go in favor of Preston Smith and Zadarius Smith!
  • After 5 seasons in the league, Leonard Williams is FINALLY ready to have a breakout year...the problem all those previous years was system and coaches. The new coaching staff will turn the lights on for the guy. Also, he's playing in a contract year, so that automatically means he will be great...pay no attention to last year when he produced 1 sack in a contract year; he switched teams mid-year and that season doesn't count.
  • Oshames Ximines is the next Osi Umenyiora! I mean, they're both from small schools, both their names start with O, both their names have lots of vowels, and I want him to be good therefore he will be.

- The linebacker position is so deep!

• We have 10 linebackers on the team, something we've never had before. Surely one of them will emerge and be the next Carl Banks and surely that's why we're keeping so many on the roster, including 4 rookies who were 6th-7th rounders!
  • Even though we kept 10 LBs on the team, we had no room for one of those spots to be Connelly....his career is completely over after that injury at age 24, and we had to move on with surefire young talent like TJ Brunson and Tae Crowder, plus we couldn't afford giving up his spot for Devonte Downs who's a guy that can fill in right away for Blake Martinez and not miss a beat!
  • Cam Brown is taller than traditional LBs and can run fast...no other NFL LBs can do this, so he'll be good!
  • Blake Martinez is NOT the hispanic replica of Alec Ogeltree...I repeat...Blake Martinez is NOT the hispanic replica of Alec Ogeltree

- The secondary is talented and has so much potential!

• Rookie CB Darnay Holmes is totally 1st round talent that was a steal in the 4th round.
  • We got CB's Isaac Yiadom and Brandon Williams! Both of them were 3rd rounders a few years ago, so they're definitely going to be good, and we got them for next to nothing. Those suckers in Arizona and Denver don't know what they're missing!
  • Having Corey Ballentine start opposite James Bradberry is going to be fine! He has the recovery speed to recover when beat, therefore it's no problem when he gets beat. That 36.6 PFF rating? Totally a fluke based on small sample size, as are the 4 TDs thrown his way on 42 pass attempts.
  • Logan Ryan is going to come in right away and be a pro-bowl stud at Safety. All of those other teams that had no interest in him are complete suckers.

- We have one of the best run stopping defensive lines in the history of this franchise!

• We don't have to worry about the gaps at the LB position because we have the best run stopping DL now. Sure, modern NFL offenses pass ~67% of the time, but at least we'll totally stop offenses on the other 33% of plays 100% of the time.

- Have you seen the three blocking TE's we have on the team?

• They are totally going to make up for any deficiencies we have on the offensive line, and unknowns like Levine Toilolo and Eric Tomlinson are going to maul opposing defenses!

i'm just telling myself that this team will be much better coached than the last 3 years .........and we will get better and better during the season and manage 6 or 7 wins

We do have talent on this team on both sides of the ball .....just hope that Joe Judge and Co. can build something here !

There is hope !

11 minutes ago, Storm said:

The biggest upside is that the Giants have a vision that I feel I’m able to see. It’s one of the youngest teams in football. That’s a good thing.

Why this team felt like after letting Coughlin go they could just keep competing is beyond me.

Like Coughlin was the bulk of the issues, not the regressing Oline, no RBs on the team, a defense with no secondary or LBs and the QB on the other side of his career.

Atleast with Judge and this extremely young roster, as you said, is moving in a direction of building and player development.

Not just slapping bandaid fixes on the problem and hoping to squeek out an extra win or two.

Reminds of me being a Blue Jays fan and watching the team rebuild through a three or four rebuilding period to get all the young talent they have now who are playing well.

14 hours ago, mastershake said:

- We have one of the best run stopping defensive lines in the history of this franchise!

• We don't have to worry about the gaps at the LB position because we have the best run stopping DL now. Sure, modern NFL offenses pass ~67% of the time, but at least we'll totally stop offenses on the other 33% of plays 100% of the time.

I think this is the most interesting aspect of the 2020 NYG. I can see the vision for it, but its still in the experimental phase.

Gettleman's Hypothesis: A handful of defensive lineman that are dominant 'in a phone booth' provide more scheme versatility than a defensive line that is predicated on getting penetration through first-step quickness. 

I think its a sound hypothesis. But it is dependent upon having a bunch of quality, interchangeable parts to run in as a fourth and fifth rusher, and pass coverage schemes that are really well synchronized and well understood, because coverages will have to roll at the snap. 

Joking aside, things I'm looking forward to or hopeful to see this season (even though I think it's going to be a 4 - 6 win season.

- Growth in Daniel Jones. Particularly cutting down on turnovers

- I want to see an offense with Barkley, Shepherd, and Engram finally all on the field and healthy. + bonus points for Slayton and Tate in that mix as well. A lot of people on here are bashing our receivers; I think they will be fairly decent if healthy.

- Andrew Thomas. There will be ups and downs but I hope he pulls it together.

- Nick Gates. I think he will be a longtime starter in the league.

- I really hope the light goes on for Will Hernandez. I'm getting impatient with him. 

- Perhaps the light goes on for Lorenzo Carter??? What other OLBs / Pass Rushers will emerge???

- The secondary is going to be a mess, but I'm interested to see who steps up. Julian Love looked good late last year, plus Darnay Holmes is intriguing based on everyone boasting about him. Peppers, Bradberry, and Ryan really need to step up and provide some stability.

- Will any of these rookie LBs do anything? Carter Coughlin seems intriguing.

41 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Why this team felt like after letting Coughlin go they could just keep competing is beyond me.

Like Coughlin was the bulk of the issues, not the regressing Oline, no RBs on the team, a defense with no secondary or LBs and the QB on the other side of his career.

Atleast with Judge and this extremely young roster, as you said, is moving in a direction of building and player development.

Not just slapping bandaid fixes on the problem and hoping to squeek out an extra win or two.

Reminds of me being a Blue Jays fan and watching the team rebuild through a three or four rebuilding period to get all the young talent they have now who are playing well.

I also love the idea of building through the draft and picking up younger players from other teams and off waivers and just letting them compete. Then snoring up the position group with a veteran or two.

3 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Not for nothing Shakes but... who is actually saying this? I thought most of us had the Giants capped at six wins if the season goes a whole 16 games. 

Giants beat writers and the comments section on Big Blue View.

It's not everyone; just some things that the forever optimists are saying. Plenty of others are cynical like me.

5 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Giants beat writers and the comments section on Big Blue View.

It's not everyone; just some things that the forever optimists are saying. Plenty of others are cynical like me.

I'm saying six wins. 

And honestly, I'd be pretty happy with that, so long as by the end of the season there had been significant progress made and the "arrow was pointing up." 

18 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I'm saying six wins. 

And honestly, I'd be pretty happy with that, so long as by the end of the season there had been significant progress made and the "arrow was pointing up." 

Yeah, that is my overall view as well.

Seven wins is getting somewhere. Eight or more and I'm setting the 2021 bar at playoffs.

13 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I'm saying six wins. 

Sounds fair. Definitely want to see the arrow pointing up and interested to see young players develop.

On 9/9/2020 at 9:04 AM, CrazedDogs said:

you're a meteorologist, aren't you.

Nope, Doomsday Theorist.

Giants going 16-0 this year.  I want the team to win and there are no rewards for predicting the Giants win record.  Put some money in the pot, I'll play :D 

If the offensive line can hold up, a big if admittedly, we could get 7 or 8 wins.  Our defense is worrisome though.

I don't see where we upgraded the pass rush at all and our secondary is sketchy.

All in all though, the offensive line was terrible and needed to be the focus it was this past offseason.  I would imagine that next year,  the primary focus will be defensive in nature while plugging a few offensive holes

17 hours ago, Tempest said:

Nope, Doomsday Theorist.

Giants going 16-0 this year.  I want the team to win and there are no rewards for predicting the Giants win record.  Put some money in the pot, I'll play :D 

Lol, I feel like if I predict 16-0, the final record will be closer to 0-16.