SportsWrath

Anyone else hoping more and more we trade down?

BlueInCanada

I highly doubt Young is there at 4 and I think Simmons will be wasted on this defence as he can't play every position on the field at once.

With some teams needing QBs of the future it's looking likey that both the Giants and Lions can trade out of their spots.

Even if it's only an extra second or third round pick I'd be willing to drop down six or seven picks and still get one of the tackles in the draft.

There isnt a single player we can target to pick at No.4 - a supreme prospect and a great fit for our team that WILL NOT be available lower down the order. COnsidering that along we should certainly trade down. But no point in trading down 1-2 spots....itll have to be 7-8 spot atleast in order to get a bevy of picks and still get one of the top OLinemen in the 1st

Yeah we need to trade down if we can pick up another 3rd rd pick at least.  Maybe someone will get desperate and want to move way up to grab a QB.  But with the Lions openly courting trades, I don't know how much we would get in return.  If we can't trade back and pick up a 3rd, just take whoever they think is the best tackle and move on. 

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

With a draft so deep, I'm really hoping for a trade down, perhaps even multiple trades down. And extra 2nd and 3rd would probably net you an above average WR and starting center. 

That's an option I wouldn't mind as well.

Trade down five or six spots, pick up an extra second and a few later round picks, then trade down again into the 20s to get another early round pick and the possibility of future early round picks.

Sure you'd lose out on one of these OT prospects, but there is a lot of DE/WR/G/LB talent in the bottom of the first and the second round.

We could walk out of the draft with a starting pass rusher, LB, a true WR threat, and even a guard/center.

Granted this is all just dream scenario which never happens in the draft.

I'm open to it, provided we could come out of this draft with at least a day 1 starting tackle and center. If we don't come out of this with at least that, then this will be another botched season, or 6-10 at best.

See Getty is a moron for leaving us to the draft to attempt to fill 3 big holes on the offensive line, after doing nothing in the off-season to address the offensive line (Fleming as a backup doesn't count).

But Gettlemen is also a genius doing that because if/when we have another losing season, he can simply say "Well, our OL is young and they're all trying to learn to play together, so we have to give it time."

Next season, 2021, after we cut Solder after another failed year at LT, the story will be "Well, we're going through a transition at LT where we're trying out Wirfs/Wills at a new position, so we have to give it time."

We're the new Cleveland Browns "Trust the process"

I am all for trading down if we can net an extra 2 or 3 this year...would not mind getting some extra picks next year as well.  I would ensure a shot at 1 of the top 3 OTs and Simmons...so I wouldn't drop more than 4 or 5 spots.

If Young is there at 4 though, you take him.

39 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I'm open to it, provided we could come out of this draft with at least a day 1 starting tackle and center. If we don't come out of this with at least that, then this will be another botched season, or 6-10 at best.

See Getty is a moron for leaving us to the draft to attempt to fill 3 big holes on the offensive line, after doing nothing in the off-season to address the offensive line (Fleming as a backup doesn't count).

But Gettlemen is also a genius doing that because if/when we have another losing season, he can simply say "Well, our OL is young and they're all trying to learn to play together, so we have to give it time."

Next season, 2021, after we cut Solder after another failed year at LT, the story will be "Well, we're going through a transition at LT where we're trying out Wirfs/Wills at a new position, so we have to give it time."

We're the new Cleveland Browns "Trust the process"

There is no "another year" for Getty is this team shows no clear improvement, Mara and Tisch made that painfully clear by almost getting rid of him this offseason.

I think 6-10 even if we get a new OT/Center, is going to be the ceiling for this team, maybe 8-8 at best.

However you can't compare this to the Browns, if anything we are trying to do the opposite of what they have been known for changing GMs/Coaches every two years, sometimes even after a single year.

3 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

There is no "another year" for Getty is this team shows no clear improvement, Mara and Tisch made that painfully clear by almost getting rid of him this offseason.

I think 6-10 even if we get a new OT/Center, is going to be the ceiling for this team, maybe 8-8 at best.

However you can't compare this to the Browns, if anything we are trying to do the opposite of what they have been known for changing GMs/Coaches every two years, sometimes even after a single year.

Oh yes, even if we land a starting center and tackle, 6-10 is likely the best, maybe 8-8 with some luck. 

Leaving the draft to 3 gaping holes on the OL (and an unproven Herdandez) plus investing $27mm in Williams, Fleming, and Fackrell, or even just $22mm in Williams and Fleming is pure gross incompetence.

Really what it comes down to is we have one reliable starting calibur OL on the roster, and that's Zeitler, while we're cautiously hopeful on Hernandez and Gates, while we know Solder, Pulley, and Fleming are not starting caliber.

Should have used that $22mm above on Bryan Bulaga and Graham Glasgow. 

4 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Oh yes, even if we land a starting center and tackle, 6-10 is likely the best, maybe 8-8 with some luck. 

Leaving the draft to 3 gaping holes on the OL (and an unproven Herdandez) plus investing $27mm in Williams, Fleming, and Fackrell, or even just $22mm in Williams and Fleming is pure gross incompetence.

Really what it comes down to is we have one reliable starting calibur OL on the roster, and that's Zeitler, while we're cautiously hopeful on Hernandez and Gates, while we know Solder, Pulley, and Fleming are not starting caliber.

Should have used that $22mm above on Bryan Bulaga and Graham Glasgow. 

I agree with you, Getty is a idiot when it comes to FA signings.

I still don't understand how you invest in Williams and the backs up he gave money too, not to mention top 10 LB money to Martinez.

My only idea if that these front loaded contracts are going to be out of the hair of the next GM that is brought in next off season, Getty doesn't want to leave him with these players, since most of these guys can be cut next year without any real penalty.

I think the Giants and Getty realize this is another rebuilding year, and there is no chance they compete, so bring in players to fill spots for a year or two while you bring in guys to develop.

Guys like Bulaga and Glasgow wouldn't be around for a playoff push.

5 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I agree with you, Getty is a idiot when it comes to FA signings.

I still don't understand how you invest in Williams and the backs up he gave money too, not to mention top 10 LB money to Martinez.

My only idea if that these front loaded contracts are going to be out of the hair of the next GM that is brought in next off season, Getty doesn't want to leave him with these players, since most of these guys can be cut next year without any real penalty.

I think the Giants and Getty realize this is another rebuilding year, and there is no chance they compete, so bring in players to fill spots for a year or two while you bring in guys to develop.

Guys like Bulaga and Glasgow wouldn't be around for a playoff push.

What do you mean they wouldn't be around for a playoff push?

6 minutes ago, mastershake said:

What do you mean they wouldn't be around for a playoff push?

This team is more than three or four years away from a playoff run IMO.

We are going to be going on a new GM more than likely and many of the younger players on this team are heading into contract years;

Engram, Peppers, Henandez, Barkley, Jones, Shepard, Tomlinson, Zeitler, all these guys are looking for paydays in the next one to two years, and we cant keep them all.

So unless we starting nailing every draft pick and free agency signing, we are going to be looking at more players to replace sooner rather than later.

The Giants have been in this weird rebuild period where they kept trying to win instead of just tearing it all down and building it back up.

Now we have a roster full of over paid veterans and under paid rookies.

32 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

This team is more than three or four years away from a playoff run IMO.

…. well..... if this draft and offseason is a total bust.... and last year's draft turns out to be a total bust.... yeah, at least three or four more years away. 

One more good offseason can turn it around though, especially if the 2019 haul keeps progressing. Not like a 'contender' kind of turn around, I just mean from a bottom feeding 4-12 to a not entirely hopeless 8-8 or 9-7. 

If we had Glasgow and Bulaga on this team, along with one good OL draft pick, we're looking at a far better offense this year and the next three years. That is the difference having a capable O-line can make. At skill positions, we should be fine for two years with Barkley, Slayton, Shepherd, and filling out the rest of the offense with draft picks, before Barkley gets a big deal in two years. 

15 minutes ago, mastershake said:

If we had Glasgow and Bulaga on this team, along with one good OL draft pick, we're looking at a far better offense this year and the next three years. That is the difference having a capable O-line can make. At skill positions, we should be fine for two years with Barkley, Slayton, Shepherd, and filling out the rest of the offense with draft picks, before Barkley gets a big deal in two years. 

I mean it's all hindsight, we could bring in Bulaga and Glasgow, but still not be a good team, just as much as it could make us a good team. Hypothetically you would be investing a lot in the idea that Bulaga who's regressing can hold out his play on the downside of his career, hoping that Zeilter returns after this year, and Henendez and a new draft pick excel.

I would of really loved Gasglow though, not a top tier Oline but capable at guard and center, instead of fucking Leonard Williams.

Skills positions is iffy, our WRs arent play makers and don't help Jones, Jones can regress, Barkley isn't going to wait for his final year for a pay day, and he could even leave, Slayton is still unproven IMO and will see what happens when he has attention thrown his way.

I don't know, we could of signed all the top OL FAs this year and I still think this team would be years away from any sort of capable showing simply because of the massive gaps in talent as positions across the board.

49 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

…. well..... if this draft and offseason is a total bust.... and last year's draft turns out to be a total bust.... yeah, at least three or four more years away. 

One more good offseason can turn it around though, especially if the 2019 haul keeps progressing. Not like a 'contender' kind of turn around, I just mean from a bottom feeding 4-12 to a not entirely hopeless 8-8 or 9-7. 

That's what I don't understand though, the Giants have been drafting and signing FAs to win games and compete like they were one thing away from another SB run, it's almost like they forgot they have to build the base of the team up and then start adding the finishing touches.

I mean look back at the draft classes weve had the last four years which should be the "core" of this team;

2016 - Shepard is the only player remaining and his career is done after a few more hits to the head.

2017 - Engram can't stay healthy and it's 50/50 is he's a Giant after this year (if they pick up the option), Tomlinson is solid but is also due for a pay day.

2018 - Barkley is due a massive pay day, Henandez is still on the fence, Carter/Hill/Mcintosh are all basically bench fodder at this point.

2019 - So far has hit really well and is a good starting point of building a team now, but they need to keep hitting drafts like these, not like the previous three years.

In the previous three years before 2019, of 19 picks maybe 4 are part of this "core" team but are going into pay years, Engram, Barkley, Tomlinson and Henandez.

The draft failures and FA signings this team has made are just laughably bad, and why we have been the worst franchise in the last three years of football.

And I should state, this whole quarantine thing has me all negative pants.

So it might reflect on my idea of the Giants at the moment lol

In all honesty, I like Joe Judge, and I like these draft picks, I just wish we had more success in FA.

I can see this team being above .500 not next season but the one after.