SportsWrath

Anyone else hoping more and more we trade down?

BlueInCanada

I was listening to Charley Casserly on the Giants official podcast yesterday. He said that from what he's hearing, there Giants are stuck at 4 and there's no market to trade down. Teams aren't in love with Tua due to the injuries, bad Wonderlic and equally bad chalk talks he's been having. Miami and the Chargers are happy to wait in their spots for a QB to fall and Miami in particular is more interested in a top tackle than a QB. 

Take it with a grain of salt and of course things change... but he also gave the "I know the answer to that but really can't discuss it" answer more than a few times which leads me to believe that he is probably doing some consultant work for some teams. I guess we'll see tomorrow. 

I agree Getty has drafted relatively well. Can't complain about his drafts. But that's only one side of the coin. His free agency periods have been disasters, one after the other. His only good move I can think of is Zietler, but it gets lost in the shuffle because the offensive line as a whole has been putrid and hasn't made any progress since he's joined. Perhaps coaching is a factor, but still.

Again, I can't see how a GM can justify allocating $22mm to Williams and Fleming, while going into the draft with three big holes on the OL, plus one starter (Hernandez) who had a down year, and you can't rely on the draft to get two-three day 1 starters.

I also have a funny feeling Getty is content with the OL and may go defense round 1, with Isiah Simmons, Jeff Okudah, Derrick Brown, etc. All of whom I'd love to have on this team, if only we had an OL!

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

I was listening to Charley Casserly on the Giants official podcast yesterday. He said that from what he's hearing, there Giants are stuck at 4 and there's no market to trade down. Teams aren't in love with Tua due to the injuries, bad Wonderlic and equally bad chalk talks he's been having. Miami and the Chargers are happy to wait in their spots for a QB to fall and Miami in particular is more interested in a top tackle than a QB. 

Take it with a grain of salt and of course things change... but he also gave the "I know the answer to that but really can't discuss it" answer more than a few times which leads me to believe that he is probably doing some consultant work for some teams. I guess we'll see tomorrow. 

Interesting. Wonder if we can get a team like the Jaguars to trade up...maybe they fall in love with Simmons, Brown, or an OL and want to jump ahead...but I can see them just as easily trading with SD and Mia for less., rather than us.

36 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

I’m fine with Fleming’s contract, I’m not sure why you keep lumping it with Williams.  One year 3.5 mil, 2 mil guaranteed.  

Yeah Flemming is a quality backup and could start in a pinch, 1-2 million is what you pay for bench guys.

I'm more pissed about Williams, Martinez and Fackrell adding up to about 40+ million in cap space.

Literally two above average players and a rotational pass rusher ate up more than half of the cap space this year and we are going to end up with the same results as last year. We did not improve at all with these guys. Martinez is a slightly less atheltic Ogletree and Fackrell is a less talented Golden.

I just don't understand the moves.

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

Yeah Flemming is a quality backup and could start in a pinch, 1-2 million is what you pay for bench guys.

I'm more pissed about Williams, Martinez and Fackrell adding up to about 40+ million in cap space.

Literally two above average players and a rotational pass rusher ate up more than half of the cap space this year and we are going to end up with the same results as last year. We did not improve at all with these guys. Martinez is a slightly less atheltic Ogletree and Fackrell is a less talented Golden.

I just don't understand the moves.

You can cut it that way as well. Williams + Fackrell's cap space could have gotten us Bulaga and Graham Glasgow.

39 minutes ago, mastershake said:

You can cut it that way as well. Williams + Fackrell's cap space could have gotten us Bulaga and Graham Glasgow.

I think the reason they didnt go with Glasgow is he's a better guard than center, and the Giants have their guards this year, you don't give up on Hernendez after a season.

Bulaga is the guy I think they missed on, he could of been thrown in at RT (or Solder moved to RT) and the rookie wouldn't have to start day one.

You have to wonder as well, how much the fact is the guys just wouldn't want to sign with the Giants, I mean you look at the guys we brought in, none of them were high demand type of players outside of Bradberry.

I mean you have a choice between the Chargers or Broncos, and then the worst team in football the last three years, on a new HC, and a GM on his way out the door, new QB, you probably are thinking of wins.

4 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

This is a possibility as well.

I know most draft pundits are saying picks 3-7 this year are the hardest to predict in a long time.

It's pretty much unanimous the Bungals take Burrows and the Redskins take Young, after that though? Who knows.

Would be nice somehow though if Young falls to the Giants, wouldn't mind getting the best players in the draft at #4, but unless the 'Skins trade out and the Lions go full derp mode, it's never going to happen.

One can dream though.

52 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I think the reason they didnt go with Glasgow is he's a better guard than center, and the Giants have their guards this year, you don't give up on Hernendez after a season.

Bulaga is the guy I think they missed on, he could of been thrown in at RT (or Solder moved to RT) and the rookie wouldn't have to start day one.

You have to wonder as well, how much the fact is the guys just wouldn't want to sign with the Giants, I mean you look at the guys we brought in, none of them were high demand type of players outside of Bradberry.

I mean you have a choice between the Chargers or Broncos, and then the worst team in football the last three years, on a new HC, and a GM on his way out the door, new QB, you probably are thinking of wins.

I don't know. The Giants have good skill position players on offense with a fun and exciting QB and RB combination which should theoretically make it easier on an online 

Go to San Diego and you're getting a rebuild, or Denver and a sort of rebuild with Drew Lock. 

Our record won't be too different from theirs, I think.

The one guy who loves to be in NY is Leonard Williams. We're the only morons dumb enough to give up two draft picks for 8 games only to have to give him 17 million in free agency 

52 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Yeah we can’t force players to sign here. 

13 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I don't know. The Giants have good skill position players on offense with a fun and exciting QB and RB combination which should theoretically make it easier on an online 

Go to San Diego and you're getting a rebuild, or Denver and a sort of rebuild with Drew Lock. 

Our record won't be too different from theirs, I think.

The one guy who loves to be in NY is Leonard Williams. We're the only morons dumb enough to give up two draft picks for 8 games only to have to give him 17 million in free agency 

Yeah if/when Getty is let go, the Williams trade will be one of the things that will be the nail in the coffin.

I still don't understand the trade.

I mean my only hope is before the deadline to sign the franchise tag, they reach some sort of 3-4 year deal, 7 million a year type of thing.

However as Williams you realize you have all the power in the situation and can play the Giants like a fiddle because the GM has risked a lot to bring you in.

3 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Yeah if/when Getty is let go, the Williams trade will be one of the things that will be the nail in the coffin.

I still don't understand the trade.

I mean my only hope is before the deadline to sign the franchise tag, they reach some sort of 3-4 year deal, 7 million a year type of thing.

However as Williams you realize you have all the power in the situation and can play the Giants like a fiddle because the GM has risked a lot to bring you in.

What would be interesting is if we trade down and draft Derrick Brown, and then rescind the franchise tag on Williams and ask him to sign a relatively cheap 3 years $21 million dollar contract...or else he becomes a free agent, and will be lucky if he gets a 1 year $5mm dollar deal, like Eli Apple can't even get.

I’m really hoping for an opportunity to trade down , but if not , i think we go for Wirfs.

and I would also go O line with our second round pick too. 

( obviously I’m also hoping that the Redskins somehow manage to totally fuck up as usual and not pick Chase Young here )

28 minutes ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

I’m really hoping for an opportunity to trade down , but if not , i think we go for Wirfs.

and I would also go O line with our second round pick too. 

( obviously I’m also hoping that the Redskins somehow manage to totally fuck up as usual and not pick Chase Young here )

Yeah my not realistic wish is Chase Young. 

I wanted Eli but thought it was a pipe dream. I guess anything’s possible.  

2 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

Yeah my not realistic wish is Chase Young. 

I wanted Eli but thought it was a pipe dream. I guess anything’s possible.  

Never know the Redskins might find someone wanting to jump up to take Herbert before the Dolphins or Chargers have a chance granted that means they probably end up with a nice haul of picks but it's a Snyder team they'll fuck it up.

The Lions could very well take Simmons or Okudah since they lost starting LBs and CBs this offseason, however maybe the Giants trade with them to take Young.

I mean it's a pipe dream but I really want Young.

To bad we won a meaningless game against the Redskins.

16 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Never know the Redskins might find someone wanting to jump up to take Herbert before the Dolphins or Chargers have a chance granted that means they probably end up with a nice haul of picks but it's a Snyder team they'll fuck it up.

The Lions could very well take Simmons or Okudah since they lost starting LBs and CBs this offseason, however maybe the Giants trade with them to take Young.

I mean it's a pipe dream but I really want Young.

To bad we won a meaningless game against the Redskins.

I love when pundits say, "well the Giants have a losing season and no shot at the playoffs but their wins right now don't necessarily affect the draft..." Here is exhibit A as to why that's bullshit. 

The more I read, the more I’d like to see the Giants give up a third for Trent Williams, draft Simmons, and look at a center in round two. It seems less and less likely anyone is willing to give up more than a second and there have been no offers for him. I think it would be huge to fill holes on the offensive line AND get the defensive playmaker teams have to gameplan around. I doubt Gettleman is capable of such critical and creative thinking.

I am not really sure...   how far would you want to drop in the first round?      I would not be upset if they go with Willis out of Alabama at 4....  or who ever our top OT is on the draft board.  We can really use a tackle that is sure as fuck.   What I would hate to see is trading down and landing the 3rd or 4th OT on the draft board.

I also would not be upset with Simmons...  dude looks like he is going to be a difference maker on defense, and that sort of player has the ability to change every game he plays in.

52 minutes ago, Storm said:

The more I read, the more I’d like to see the Giants give up a third for Trent Williams, draft Simmons, and look at a center in round two. It seems less and less likely anyone is willing to give up more than a second and there have been no offers for him. I think it would be huge to fill holes on the offensive line AND get the defensive playmaker teams have to gameplan around. I doubt Gettleman is capable of such critical and creative thinking.

But do the Redskins trade Williams to a division rival?

Everything I've read is they have had tons of interest about him but just not at their asking price.

I'd imagine if the Browns who are the front runners from what articles are saying offer a third round pick the Redskins would rather send him there than the Giants.

22 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Giants in talks with the Jaguars, apparently.

Jags would get the #4 pick.

Giants would get #9 and #42

https://www.bigblueview.com/2020/4/23/21232443/nfl-draft-rumors-ny-giants-discussing-move-to-no-9-with-jacksonville-jaguars

I'm hoping we get better than that from the Jags. #9 and #20.

It's pretty fair compensation and I wouldn't say no.

Giants drop 5 spots but get an extra first.

Can still walk out with a starting OT and even Ruiz so suddenly we have a starting Oline.

Obviously you would want a coupe more picks but I wouldnt turn down the extra pick with all the hole this team has.