SportsWrath

"Giants shopping Beckham" looks like it might have legs.

Sephiroth

Unless I'm being played, Carl Banks is reporting that the Giants are being offered 3 firsts, and this year's 2nd and 3rd from an unnamed team for Beckham.

As much as I love Beckham, the Giants would be insane not to do that deal if it's for real.

now that's what I'm talking about....

That couldn't be the Rams though, right? I don't think they have a 2nd.

Unless I'm being played, Carl Banks is reporting that the Giants are being offered 3 firsts, and this year's 2nd and 3rd from an unnamed team for Beckham.

As much as I love Beckham, the Giants would be insane not to do that deal if it's for real.

Damn. I really dont want to trade him but how could you pass that up

now that's what I'm talking about....

That couldn't be the Rams though, right? I don't think they have a 2nd.

My guess would be the bills or Cleveland. Really hard to believe that this is a legit offer though

That is total bullshit... If he misses OTA and training camp, and all the pre-season games. It will be week 6 and we will all be talking about how Eli and he are not on the same page, or waiting for him to be in game shape, or to see if his ankle is still an issue. The dude is under contract still, come in and practice to be ready for the season on day 1.

Its a legit concern for sure. The Steelers go through it every year with Bell it seems

My guess would be the bills or Cleveland. Really hard to believe that this is a legit offer though

I wouldn't offer that much if I were another team, but I also wouldn't accept less if I were the Giants.

Probably not legit, but that kind of deal has gone down before, it isn't that far fetched....

This is not going to help OBJ "Hey I want you guys to leave me alone, so let me post this video across social media to state that fact"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2767055-odell-beckham-jr-dances-to-leave-me-alone-in-instagram-video-amid-trade-rumors

And yes this pretty stupid, but you can't say leave me alone and look at me at the same time, if he truly wanted to be left then going into exile somewhere

Has him saying he wont play without a contract confirmed? He actually said that? I was just telling my mechanic about it, and he said no ones proven he actually said that.

This guy is a huge Giants fan and my neighbor. He usually knows what hes talking about. He said that was a rumor that he said that. That it came from a undisclosed source.

Absolutely correct that this is an unconfirmed rumor......but it concerns me that there has been no further comment from Odell's camp. No denial, no setting the record straight. You can bet the Giants have checked or are in the process of checking the accuracy of this report. Here are the possible outcomes:

A) Report is accurate but Giants are ready to give him the contract he wants.

B) Report is accurate but Giants think Odell will soften demands (highest paid WR) and they can work something out before camp that both sides can live with.

C) Report is accurate and Giants won't give him what he wants, will let him sit out OTA's & camp, figuring he'll come back for regular season games, rather than sit out the year.

D) Report is accurate, Giants aren't willing to pay or live with option C above, say it's time to move on, trade him.

E) Report is false, no problem.

A would send the wrong message to team and would be a colossal mistake.

Best outcome would be E, of course but I have little confidence of that. B is a little more likely but if not, I'd opt for D before C.

What team has 3 firsts... or want to give up their 1st rounders this year and the next 2 seasons?

Yeah I'm doubting the validity of those reports.

Giants asking for at least two first-round picks for Odell Beckham Jr.
play

1:32 PM ET
  • ESPN

The New York Giants have asked for at least two first-round picks in return for Odell Beckham Jr., a league source tells ESPN's Adam Schefter, even though the team insists it is not shopping the three-time Pro Bowl wide receiver.

General manager Dave Gettleman on Tuesday addressed the speculation about Beckham, refusing to directly say that Beckham wasn't available in a trade but also repeating "You don't quit on talent," a phrase his mentor Ernie Accorsi taught him.

ADVERTISEMENT

There were two recent reports: One, by NFL Network, said that Beckham would not take the field this year without an extension to his current contract. Another, by the New York Daily News, said the Los Angeles Rams were pursuing a trade for Beckham.

"Neither Odell nor his agent have contacted us regarding either report," Gettleman said Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings. "So to be clear: I'm not going to respond to questions about either report, and as I stated earlier, every decision I make is going to be in the best interest of the New York football Giants."

Co-owner John Mara said Sunday that no one on the team is untouchable and declined to say whether he thought Beckham would be on the 2018 roster.

Later Tuesday, Mara said, "He's not on the block. Is that going to stop clubs from possibly calling us? No. But he's not on the block. We're not shopping him around.

"I don't want him to be traded," Mara continued. "I want him to be a Giant. I can't say it's a 100 percent guarantee it will happen. Can't say that about any player.''

Beckham has run into trouble after on-field tantrums and some off-field issues, such as the Miami trip with his wide receiver teammates the week before a January 2017 playoff game in Green Bay and a recent social media video that showed him and a woman in bed with a pizza, a brown cigarette and a powdery white substance.

But within the walls of the Giants' building, many say he's a good teammate and a hard worker. Gettleman acknowledged the latter at the end of Tuesday's interview.

"The kid works his fanny off," Gettleman said. "His [ankle] rehab is going terrific. He sends us pictures, sends us a video about him running. He's an excellent worker."

ESPN's Dan Graziano contributed to this report.

The off field issues are way overblown. Theyre kind of annoying, but hes never had a bad word uttered about him inside that locker room and while hes perceived as another diva wide receiver, he doesnt play like one. He blocks and puts his nose in when he doesnt have the ball. This is completely an economic and cap situation to me. Unfortunatey, the Giants have zero leverage here. We either pay him and commit nearly 20 million in cap space annually to a wide receiver or trade him for a net loss and hope we draft quality players with those picks. Basically, this blows. We will be much,much worse offensively without him.

The off field issues are way overblown. Theyre kind of annoying, but hes never had a bad word uttered about him inside that locker room and while hes perceived as another diva wide receiver, he doesnt play like one. He blocks and puts his nose in when he doesnt have the ball. This is completely an economic and cap situation to me. Unfortunatey, the Giants have zero leverage here. We either pay him and commit nearly 20 million in cap space annually to a wide receiver or trade him for a net loss and hope we draft quality players with those picks. Basically, this blows. We will be much,much worse offensively without him.

Giants have plenty of leverage. He's under contract and can be tagged the 2 years after that.

Pdoub already pointed out that the Giants do have leverage... although it's not an ideal situation for a player to be "unhappy". No one here is questioning his talent and I'm one who doesn't think too much of the off-field stuff... he's still a kid... a rich one and a famous one at that. Where my concern is the finances... something I'd voiced out even with regards to Eli's contract... I love Eli... I love ODB... but at what point does one player's (or 2 or 3) contract(s) hinder you from improving your team in a meaningful way. Now if the Giants can get a king's ransom by trading him, I happened to be for it... because I feel a few very good draft picks, coupled with the money becoming available to sign better-than-mediocre free agents, can go a very long way.

Remember we now have DG presiding over the draft and we expect some serious talent drafted. Defense wins championships... and football is won in the trenches so the thought of drafting 2 out of Chubb, Nelson, and Barkely is quite appealing.. hence the "king's ransom" price tag on ODB. I'm just not sure a team is willing to give up that king's ransom... which means all of this is about nothing.

Pdoub already pointed out that the Giants do have leverage... although it's not an ideal situation for a player to be "unhappy". No one here is questioning his talent and I'm one who doesn't think too much of the off-field stuff... he's still a kid... a rich one and a famous one at that. Where my concern is the finances... something I'd voiced out even with regards to Eli's contract... I love Eli... I love ODB... but at what point does one player's (or 2 or 3) contract(s) hinder you from improving your team in a meaningful way. Now if the Giants can get a king's ransom by trading him, I happened to be for it... because I feel a few very good draft picks, coupled with the money becoming available to sign better-than-mediocre free agents, can go a very long way.

Remember we now have DG presiding over the draft and we expect some serious talent drafted. Defense wins championships... and football is won in the trenches so the thought of drafting 2 out of Chubb, Nelson, and Barkely is quite appealing.. hence the "king's ransom" price tag on ODB. I'm just not sure a team is willing to give up that king's ransom... which means all of this is about nothing.

I Don't see why people think Getty is some sort of draft guru guy has had just as many bust as JR and doesn't hit much outside of the first two rounds.

I Don't see why people think Getty is some sort of draft guru guy has had just as many bust as JR and doesn't hit much outside of the first two rounds.

He's better than Reese... and the 1st two rounds is where ODB's price is anyway...

If reports are true that Odell will sit out until (beyond?) the season opener if he doesn't get $20M or some number like that, I think it's time to move on. That said, I would not trade him for mid 1st round picks, where you're just as likely to get Erik Flowers or Eli Apple as you are to find another Odell. No, I want to know exactly what I'm getting. For instance, If we could get a package that included the Browns #4 overall and we could get Barkley and Nelson, I'd do it right now. I'd use more picks and whatever we can afford in Free Agency to further bolster the OL and grab another receiver (and remember, we still have Shepard and Engram, so we're not completely bereft in that department) and more help on D. This would mean transitioning to a different type of offense - a running game! Imagine that! - but ultimately, we'd be more effective and better off in the long run.

a further point regarding Beckham's trade value....

Remember Joey Galloway? He was older, less talented, under contract for no more than two seasons (3 for OBJ).... and went for 2 1st round picks.

Just last season right, Brandin Cooks.... 1st and 3rd round picks.... and Cooks sure ain't Beckham....

We can go on.... that's why bidding starts at 2 1sts, and we shouldn't accept less than a ridiculous haul.

He's better than Reese... and the 1st two rounds is where ODB's price is anyway...

I sure hope he's better than Reese.... there's nothing in either's history to indicate that's true though.

I do like virtually everything I've heard out of Gettleman though.... says all the right things.... I never got similar positive vibes out of Reese. Where I think (hope) Gettleman has Reese beat is, I think Reese kind of started to fall in love with his own picks. I don't think Gettleman will make that mistake.