SportsWrath

Five Giants Who Won't Return Next Year

BleedinBlue

Bruh... it was THAT bad that they couldn't let him finish the season? What was firing him prior to week 17 supposed to accomplish?

Perhaps the front office's attempt to throw Sunday's game in order to move up to 8 or 9 in the draft order and knock the Giants down to the mid-late teens.

Nothing else makes sense to me.

Bruh... it was THAT bad that they couldn't let him finish the season? What was firing him prior to week 17 supposed to accomplish?

There are reports that the players basically had it with Kelly, that when the owner met with Murray he had nothing but hate for the guy.

I mean it's not to hard to believe, they guy has done nothing but traded away the core of the team for "his players" and left them in a hole that is going to take a lot to dig out of.

He didnt just tank the season he tanked the entire organization.

I get all that. Aside from tanking further like BB said, I just dont see the benefit of firing him right before the final game. Shurmur is taking over for them this week, so is this his audition? A game where the winner is actually whoever loses? Not that I care... just don't see the logic beyond ensuring a higher draft pick.

I get all that. Aside from tanking further like BB said, I just dont see the benefit of firing him right before the final game. Shurmur is taking over for them this week, so is this his audition? A game where the winner is actually whoever loses? Not that I care... just don't see the logic beyond ensuring a higher draft pick.

What's the logic in letting him stay for one more game? You already know he's gone. He refused to relinquish GM responsibilities and the locker room has turned against him. Is that going to change in one game? Will the players like him more after one more game? Fire his ass and both sides move on.

What's the logic in letting him stay for one more game? You already know he's gone. He refused to relinquish GM responsibilities and the locker room has turned against him. Is that going to change in one game? Will the players like him more after one more game? Fire his ass and both sides move on.

Might be worth it if you and the rest of the Eagles fans want to see him get jumped on the sidelines. lol.

In all seriousness tho, I guess my main question about this has more to do with where Shurmur stands than Kelly being fired. If he's being put in as Interim Coach is he actually being given a shot at the HC job? And if he is do you think it's fair to him if this one "Loser is actually the winner" game is his audition?

Might be worth it if you and the rest of the Eagles fans want to see him get jumped on the sidelines. lol.

In all seriousness tho, I guess my main question about this has more to do with where Shurmur stands than Kelly being fired. If he's being put in as Interim Coach is he actually being given a shot at the HC job? And if he is do you think it's fair to him if this one "Loser is actually the winner" game is his audition?

The whole "loser is the winner" is such bullshit.

Owners don't sit there thinking "Hey we'll pick a few picks before *insert team*, that's a win in my book in a losing season"

"You play to win the game" - A former NY coach once said, and he's right.

Now if you tank your entire season to pick a guy like Luck, I can see the case being made.

BiC, they'd never come out and say it but I wouldn't put it passed anyone to believe it. I ALWAYS was to beat the Eagles. I hate them more than I hate Dallas, but at the same time I also know that winning that game doesn't matter in the long run, whereas losing could mean landing us in the top 10 in the draft and giving us a much better opportunity to put this team back on the right track.

Spags aint going NOWHERE!!! WE'VE GOT HIM FOR A WHOLE 3 YEARS!!!....and he shouldn't go anywhere. Neither will JPP. With a proper offseason rehab and him not playing with that fucking club....he will still be a devastating force. I think his strength has been batting those passes down at the LOS. He's been brilliant and I hope will be a Giant for a long time...the team that gave him a chance where everyone else would have thrown him out on his ass. Its a symbiotic relationship. I think McAdoo should not be responsible for playcalling - he is atrocious at it. Id love to get Sean Payton back actually.....I like him. What say? Hes out of NO anyway.....would be nice to give him a shot.

Spags aint going NOWHERE!!! WE'VE GOT HIM FOR A WHOLE 3 YEARS!!!....and he shouldn't go anywhere. Neither will JPP. With a proper offseason rehab and him not playing with that fucking club....he will still be a devastating force. I think his strength has been batting those passes down at the LOS. He's been brilliant and I hope will be a Giant for a long time...the team that gave him a chance where everyone else would have thrown him out on his ass. Its a symbiotic relationship. I think McAdoo should not be responsible for playcalling - he is atrocious at it. Id love to get Sean Payton back actually.....I like him. What say? Hes out of NO anyway.....would be nice to give him a shot.

o

I would rather have Sean Payton running the defense than Steve Spagnuolo.

o

I would rather have Sean Payton running the defense than Steve Spagnuolo.

lololol... You Blaspheme... Saint Spags the Reaver should never be impugned or questioned... next year he will have two Pro Bowlers and One Hall of Famer on his DL... wait a minute... that is so 2007... my bad. :P

lololol... You Blaspheme... Saint Spags the Reaver should never be impugned or questioned... next year he will have two Pro Bowlers and One Hall of Famer on his DL... wait a minute... that is so 2007... my bad. :P

I get it, T. You are not a fan. But if you don't believe the posters in the Spags camp, take it from the guys that have played for him here. He was popular with the players in his first stint here, and I believe the players like him now. This was from an article this past October:

You seem to believe that Spags needs all-time greats all over the defense to be successful. Remember how good guys like Kawika Mitchell were with Spags? Even guys like Reggie Torbor, Gibril Wilson, and James Butler... a starting corner in his twilight in Sam Madison, a nickel in Kevin Dockery. And even though he was a good MLB, Antonio Pierce wasn't an athletic dream. It's not like that defense had All-Pro talent all over the field. He had a great defensive line, with fairly good linebackers and a passable, but certainly not an above average secondary. And he is the defensive coordinator who was responsible for stopping the most devastating offense in NFL history. And sure he failed at other stops, but his philosophy is an attacking one. Contrast that with guys like Perry Fewell, who believed a 3-man rush on 3rd and long was a good defensive strategy... even 8 guys in the secondary won't stop a QB from finding a receiver when they have 5-6 seconds or more to survey the field. Spags is the right guy for this team. These guys can get by with matchups if they can pressure the QB. Just like any defense in the NFL needs to pressure the QB and stop the run to be successful. Unfortunately, we didn't have players to pressure quarterbacks this season, and that's not on Spags. We lose Hankins, all of our starting linebackers, no free safety at any point this season, JPP for half the season and a watered down version of him for the other half, and this is the result, especially in the toughest era in football to play effective defense due to all the rules skewed towards the offense, and a schedule of teams that mostly had pretty good QB's. Here are the QB's the Giants lost to this season: Romo, Ryan, Bradford (twice), Brees, Brady, Cousins (playing good football 2nd half), Fitzpatrick, Newton, Bridgewater. Maybe that's a cop-out, but the roster and injuries to the defense is not. For a DC, I want one with an attacking philosophy who knows how to mix up looks and is creative with blitz packages. Spagnuolo knows that. Any DC needs good players to be successful. Players make coaches, never the other way around. Coaches can only put players in the best position to succeed. I think Spags does that, despite the horrific results.

http://nypost.com/2015/10/06/how-steve-spagnuolo-is-saving-giants-no-name-defense/

“Well, I think guys are embracing their roles,’’ Beason said. “We have multiple packages where we are getting guys on the field who do things well and we’re creating a niche for those guys. We thought we have a unique skill set; coaches are doing a great job recognizing what guys do well, and putting them in position to make plays.’’

This is Spagnuolo’s greatest strength — fixing leaks and plugging holes. In his first go-round with the Giants, he had the luxury of tremendous skill along the defensive line, something he certainly cannot lean on now. Generating pressure with the front group has been a struggle and, thus far, a failure, and Spagnuolo’s blitz packages have not flourished. He is learning his personnel as far as who can do what.

Spagnuolo gives his players more freedom than his predecessor, Perry Fewell, as far as going with their instincts when something unexpected arises.

“We call it flavor of the day,’’ said Beason, who calls Spagnuolo “a great dude.’’

He also changed the mentality “just to attack,’’ Prince Amukamara said. It is a delicate balance, as Spagnuolo knows he has two excellent cornerbacks in Amukamara and Dominique-Rodgers Cromartie, and he plays to that strength whenever possible.

Here's an interview of Strahan on Spags (short watch):

http://www.giants.com/videos/videos/DE-Michael-Strahan-talks-about-Steve-Spagnuolo/5b69533e-5d0a-4eba-ae89-757b802d754f

Strahan's a believer, 8 years later.

You seem to believe that Spags needs all-time greats all over the defense to be successful. Remember how good guys like Kawika Mitchell were with Spags? Even guys like Reggie Torbor, Gibril Wilson, and James Butler... a starting corner in his twilight in Sam Madison, a nickel in Kevin Dockery. And even though he was a good MLB, Antonio Pierce wasn't an athletic dream. It's not like that defense had All-Pro talent all over the field. He had a great defensive line, with fairly good linebackers and a passable, but certainly not an above average secondary. And he is the defensive coordinator who was responsible for stopping the most devastating offense in NFL history. And sure he failed at other stops, but his philosophy is an attacking one.

Contrast that with guys like Perry Fewell, who believed a 3-man rush on 3rd and long was a good defensive strategy... even 8 guys in the secondary won't stop a QB from finding a receiver when they have 5-6 seconds or more to survey the field. Spags is the right guy for this team. These guys can get by with matchups if they can pressure the QB. Just like any defense in the NFL needs to pressure the QB and stop the run to be successful. Unfortunately, we didn't have players to pressure quarterbacks this season, and that's not on Spags. We lose Hankins, all of our starting linebackers, no free safety at any point this season, JPP for half the season and a watered down version of him for the other half, and this is the result, especially in the toughest era in football to play effective defense due to all the rules skewed towards the offense, and a schedule of teams that mostly had pretty good QB's. Here are the QB's the Giants lost to this season: Romo, Ryan, Bradford (twice), Brees, Brady, Cousins (playing good football 2nd half), Fitzpatrick, Newton, Bridgewater. Maybe that's a cop-out, but the roster and injuries to the defense is not. For a DC, I want one with an attacking philosophy who knows how to mix up looks and is creative with blitz packages. Spagnuolo knows that. Any DC needs good players to be successful. Players make coaches, never the other way around. Coaches can only put players in the best position to succeed. I think Spags does that, despite the horrific results.

Tuck also praises Spags and credits him for really getting him out on the field when he was behind Osi and Strahan on the depth chart. Spags started the four aces and it worked... now people say it's no big deal, not that creative... but back then it was an innovative idea and it helped us win a Super Bowl.

This is why we need to blow the whole thing up. "Spags is terrible! No, actually the players are terrible! It's bad drafting! It's bad coaching! McAdoo sucks, except those times he's awesome! It's injuries!"

Let's not dick around for the next three years deciding exactly who sucked. Bring in a new HC and GM and say thanks to Coughlin and Reese. I said it after the San Francisco game last year... this era of Giants football is over.

If Reese could convert a 3rd & short we wouldn't be in this mess!

The new coach will hire whomever he wants. The only franchise that tells its head coaches who their coordinators will be is Dallas.

Have you seen what Cleveland is doing? Hiring a new HC, then a new GM who won't have any control over personel decisions. They might be the worst franchise owners in all sports.

Have you seen what Cleveland is doing? Hiring a new HC, then a new GM who won't have any control over personel decisions. They might be the worst franchise owners in all sports.

Might?

Feel sorry for their fans.

I thought the lawyer was the de facto GM.

But yeah, whenever I feel bad about the shitty state of the Giants affairs, I can always look at Cleveland or Jacksonville and realized how much worse shit could be.