SportsWrath

Five Giants Who Won't Return Next Year

BleedinBlue

This article from GMenHQ (http://gmenhq.com/2015/12/29/new-york-giants-offseason-moves-predictions-2016/?utm_campaign=FanSided+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email )

1 - Tom Coughlin

2 - Steve Spagnuolo

3 - JPP

4 - Larry Donnell

5 - Reuben Randle

------------------------------

I have a hunch there's a lot more than that, but that's the story from Fansided

If Tom and Spags are gone I would guess McAdoo is gone as well. Spags doesn't take the field. If you don't have a problem with him schematically, there is no reason to fire him. He needs his players and after one year of overhaul one that was played with less than NFL-caliber players starting... Then fire the guy that didn't give him good players. You keep shuffling coordinators and the guy most responsible for their ineffectiveness gets to stay.

Other than DRC, the Giants had problems all over the field. One of the biggest problems was when he lost Hankins.

If Tom and Spags are gone I would guess McAdoo is gone as well. Spags doesn't take the field. If you don't have a problem with him schematically, there is no reason to fire him. He needs his players and after one year of overhaul one that was played with less than NFL-caliber players starting... Then fire the guy that didn't give him good players. You keep shuffling coordinators and the guy most responsible for their ineffectiveness gets to stay.

Other than DRC, the Giants had problems all over the field. One of the biggest problems was when he lost Hankins.

I agree with you on Spags. But I don't on McAdoo. It took a couple of years for Eli to get comfortable with McAdoo's system, but he's a better QB because of it. I think dumping McAdoo would hinder Eli as he spends the next couple of years learning a new system and new language, etc.

I'd like to see what Spags can do with a couple of good DE's and some top shelf LB's who don't spend the majority of the season on the injured list. You can't blame Spags for having to use guys off the street and the only legitimate sacking DE with one hand.

Dittos with Beatty and Beason

I'd like to see John Jerry, Marshall Newhouse, and Andre Williams on that list of "Who Won't be Back".

Beason I'd cut outright and not even give the opportunity to return. Williams I don't believe costs anything, so I'm a little more hesitant there. Newhouse was terrible from the beginning, but you can't cut him until Beatty shows he's fully returned to health.

Beason I'd cut outright and not even give the opportunity to return. Williams I don't believe costs anything, so I'm a little more hesitant there. Newhouse was terrible from the beginning, but you can't cut him until Beatty shows he's fully returned to health.

You can legit replace Andre Williams with ANY undrafted free agent and probably save money and get a better player. Williams should not be on this football team.

I think an awful lot depends on what we do in free agency. We're definitely going to be bringing in some studs in critical positions....at least I certainly hope so. I really believe this team is not that far off from being a champion again. We have to get rid of the injury bug and need a couple of stars in the right places. This will allow OBJ, Vereen, Harris, etc., to shine.

Fix the trench on both sides of the ball and get the defensive backfield fixed with a good FS, good LB's, and some depth.

Last year our emphasis was two-fold: fix special teams (excellent job at that), and build a defense that can stop the run (better, but not great). This year it's got to focus on the trenches and def. backfield...IMHO

I think an awful lot depends on what we do in free agency. We're definitely going to be bringing in some studs in critical positions....at least I certainly hope so. I really believe this team is not that far off from being a champion again. We have to get rid of the injury bug and need a couple of stars in the right places. This will allow OBJ, Vereen, Harris, etc., to shine.

Fix the trench on both sides of the ball and get the defensive backfield fixed with a good FS, good LB's, and some depth.

Last year our emphasis was two-fold: fix special teams (excellent job at that), and build a defense that can stop the run (better, but not great). This year it's got to focus on the trenches and def. backfield...IMHO

Agree. Also agree with comments above on Spags - he's a smart, creative coordinator, who gets the most out of what he's got to work with. Letting him go would be a mistake.

I think Spags is gone if Coughlin is out the door.

Spags has never been known for his defensive creativity/knowledge, he just simply isnt the greatest coach in the NFL. Rams knew it, Baltimore knew it, Saints knew it, Eagles knew it.

He needed a Hall of Fame DE along with muitple pro-bowl DE's just to get his scheme to work in 2007 and was exposed in '08 when his Dline couldnt generate enough pressure to overcome his lack of secondary scheme.

Simply put Spags shouldnt be a DC in the NFL, it doesnt take a genius to come up with the idea of "Hey lets put all my starting DEs on the field at the same time". It was easier to see this year with a much weaker roster, which has turned out one of the worst defenses in NFL history, I think even worst than his defense in NO.

The Giant's need a DC that can adjust to gameplans, one who has an idea of what he want's to build, instead of a guy just trying to retred an old ageing era of Gints football.

Granted any DC needs capable players, which once again falls on JRs and Coughlins shoulders.

Yay another thread on the same topic with the same ideas and from the same people too! I wanna play too.

Don't understand how you can fire Spags and keep McAdoo. We have seen the offense without one game changing player now imagine a defense without one, oh wait we were watching that all season long.

The scheme works and it is the players that do not.

One thing has to happen and that is Mara comes out and says everyone is fired or these guys are staying. Everything else is a waste of time.

Reese has missed but we have seen improvement the last couple of years. Give Coughlin a solid roster and he can turn them into a super bowl contender.

Spags has never been known for his defensive creativity/knowledge, he just simply isnt the greatest coach in the NFL. Rams knew it, Baltimore knew it, Saints knew it, Eagles knew it.

He needed a Hall of Fame DE along with muitple pro-bowl DE's just to get his scheme to work in 2007 and was exposed in '08 when his Dline couldnt generate enough pressure to overcome his lack of secondary scheme.

Simply put Spags shouldnt be a DC in the NFL, it doesnt take a genius to come up with the idea of "Hey lets put all my starting DEs on the field at the same time". It was easier to see this year with a much weaker roster, which has turned out one of the worst defenses in NFL history, I think even worst than his defense in NO.

The Giant's need a DC that can adjust to gameplans, one who has an idea of what he want's to build, instead of a guy just trying to retred an old ageing era of Gints football.

Granted any DC needs capable players, which once again falls on JRs and Coughlins shoulders.

How many defensive co-ordinators in the league are worth a damn without good players. After Hankins, our best dl was Cullen Jenkins who doesn't play every down. It's not Spags fault JPP decided to blow half his hand off and miss half the season and now plays with a club that prevents him from grabbing players on tackles. He didn't do well in St Louis, and New Orleans he had to deal with the Payton bountygate situation and he basically took the fall there. He wasn't fired by the Eagles, he left to take the Giants job. He didn't get fired by the Ravens, he left to take the DC job again. So I'm not sure what you mean by " they knew it".

He was also a defensive backs coach in Philly so I'm not sure why you think he can't coach back there. His front seven overall is garbage and he didn't pick these guys. Towards the end of the season, he was getting more presssure on the QB . I think he deserves another year back there to see what he can do and try and get some players worth a damn in here to play his scheme.

You can legit replace Andre Williams with ANY undrafted free agent and probably save money and get a better player. Williams should not be on this football team.

I was fine with Williams last year, but he's been very poor this year. He doesn't deserve to keep a roster spot at all.

This... I stopped placing my candles on Spag's altar a long time ago... in reality I was worshiping Strahan and Company... ;)

This is why we need to blow the whole thing up. "Spags is terrible! No, actually the players are terrible! It's bad drafting! It's bad coaching! McAdoo sucks, except those times he's awesome! It's injuries!"

Let's not dick around for the next three years deciding exactly who sucked. Bring in a new HC and GM and say thanks to Coughlin and Reese. I said it after the San Francisco game last year... this era of Giants football is over.

This is why we need to blow the whole thing up. "Spags is terrible! No, actually the players are terrible! It's bad drafting! It's bad coaching! McAdoo sucks, except those times he's awesome! It's injuries!"

Let's not dick around for the next three years deciding exactly who sucked. Bring in a new HC and GM and say thanks to Coughlin and Reese. I said it after the San Francisco game last year... this era of Giants football is over.

That is up to ownership to decide and history tells us this is unlikely. There is a very small chance the John Mara & Steve Tisch would run this team differently than their parents. Their parents would have never built the new stadium and yet they did it.

Listening to some snippets of the press conferences today I am beginning to believe there is going to be no changes at all

Really if people want us to make "one last push for a championship" with Eli, it's the best thing they could do.

Eli isnt going to win another SB with a different HC, or another whole regime change.

Unless Little Mara want's to blow the whole thing up and start over from square one, which they might do.

Really if people want us to make "one last push for a championship" with Eli, it's the best thing they could do.

Eli isnt going to win another SB with a different HC, or another whole regime change.

Unless Little Mara want's to blow the whole thing up and start over from square one, which they might do.

It's why I didn't get the rush on Eli's extension. Like Tempest said you have to go to one extreme or the other. With Eli signed for four more it's hard to do an entire rebuild around him and new head coach may want his own QB to start fresh