SportsWrath

Official Draft Thread

Mr. P

What's the deal with 3 picks in, the 4th team on the clock with 3 minutes to go....and they still haven't announced the picks. That is bullshit. Sounds like they've got a deal with ESPN and NFL Network to drag things out so they can run more freakin advertisements. I call bullshit. The Cowboys have been celebrating for the last 15 minutes over their pick, but they haven't even announced the teams that picked ahead of them yet.

I want to know who the Cowboy's took. That's all I'm waiting for so I can go to bed.

What's the deal with 3 picks in, the 4th team on the clock with 3 minutes to go....and they still haven't announced the picks. That is bullshit. Sounds like they've got a deal with ESPN and NFL Network to drag things out so they can run more freakin advertisements. I call bullshit. The Cowboys have been celebrating for the last 15 minutes over their pick, but they haven't even announced the teams that picked ahead of them yet.

I want to know who the Cowboy's took. That's all I'm waiting for so I can go to bed.

Seems like they had Goodell walking 5 miles to announce each pick. Bring it back to Radio City

It was no secret that the Giants were enamored with Flowers. I liked Peat a lot, but am happy with Flowers. Big mean men in the trench makes me happy.

Flowers is a big boy - 6'6", 330 lbs - nasty disposition on the field. Will be good for the running game. Looks like Pugh will be moved inside. Jerry will be benched...thank heavens.

Also....the Rams really wanted Flowers and he'd have been gone in the next pick. So glad we didn't take Gurley

I agree.

Like alot of people, I was hoping for Scherff, but that became a moot point when the Redskins took him.

OL was the biggest Giants need entering the draft....they got a massive Lebowski who is NFL-ready in terms of run-blocking, but needs more polish in the pass-pro department.

But with McAdoo's passing attack, he's going to be placed in a favorable system. He's got the size and reach to compensate for his feet.....he's a huge man who unlike Jerry can actually move in the running game.

The biggest problem with the passing game last year (in my opinion) was that the running game sucked ass....they were constantly in 3rd and long.

Beatty, Schwartz, Richburg, Pugh, Flowers.....that's looking better.

I'm okay with the pick....but the knocks on him do have me worried.

Overall happy with the pick. Two things kinda irk me a bit though. First, he's the 2nd rated player at his position. At #9, part of me wants the best player at SOME position. I understand that positions are valued differently and that some positions may be deeper in the draft than others...but top 10 picks (hopefully) don't come around very often. Secondly, it's concerning that half of his game is a question mark. Widely acknowledged as a talented run blocker, but pass blocking is a concern. And as such, there's uncertainty to whether or not he'll start day 1. Again, this is a top 10 pick. If nothing else, I think it highly reasonable to expect immediate impact/contribution. Of course, we won't know that until day 1.

All those concerns aside, again, I'm happy with the direction they went. I'm glad they recognized that rebuilding the offensive line is foundational to what we want to do on offense. For me, it would've been a tough call between Flowers, Peat, and Shelton.

Beatty, Schwartz, Richburg, Pugh, Flowers.....that's looking better.

I'd be ok with that, but I think a better lineup might be Beatty/Flowers/Richburg/Schwarz/Pugh.

Schwarz looked pretty bad in limited time at LG last year when he previously played right, and Flowers is probably more used to the left side. Also I think Pugh is a tackle; he's not thick enough to be a guard despite what everyone says.

I'd be ok with that, but I think a better lineup might be Beatty/Flowers/Richburg/Schwarz/Pugh.

Schwarz looked pretty bad in limited time at LG last year when he previously played right, and Flowers is probably more used to the left side. Also I think Pugh is a tackle; he's not thick enough to be a guard despite what everyone says.

I think Pugh will do fine inside. He's a football player and will do whatever it takes to help the team. He will be moved to the left side (from what I'm reading) which should help Beatty because Pugh will pick up his misses. At some point, Flowers will move to the left and either Pugh will go back to RT...or who knows, maybe the Giants take La'el Collins in the draft and start grooming him for that position. They also like Ali Marpet, who I'd like to see take over Schwartz's position and let the young group grow up together. Pugh and Collins are both interchangeable from guard to tackle giving us tremendous flexibility across the line so that injuries wouldn't kill us and we could keep the line fresh throughout the entire game.

Oh how I would love a young, flexible, dominant O-line like that.

Maybe not this season, but eventually...Flowers-Beatty-Richberg-Jones-Pugh.

I don't think it's Pugh that Reese needs to replace at T.

I don't see Beatty at guard at all.

Maybe not this season, but eventually...Flowers-Beatty-Richberg-Jones-Pugh.

I don't think it's Pugh that Reese needs to replace at T.

Don't think Beatty will cut it at G. Beatty's game has been deemed as finesse...not power. He's quick to a spot, uses technique well, that kind of thing. That's suitable at tackle, but at guard, you need more grit and power. I think he could do it in a pinch as he is still a large, strong human...but I wouldn't want him there as any type of long term solution.

I think if replacing Beatty is on the mind, than picking Cann becomes a necessity.

Flowers-Cann-Richburg-Jones-Pugh

Beatty can stay on at vet minimum in a backup roll, as could Jerry and Schwartz.

With the knock on Flowers with his play his based on him out at left tackle. He is probably not going to be playing tackle this season so I see those arguments against him being moot.

I only see him hanging around due to his contract, really.

Certainly this season. I think next year, he could easily be a cap casualty if Flowers develops. His cap hit next year will be 9,175,000. Cutting him will save his base salary of 6,625,000 - but at the same time advance the prorated signing bonus of 2,500,000 of the remaining two years on his deal. So the savings would be reduced by 5,000,000....thereby we'd save 1,625,000 against the cap in 2016 and his full base salary of 6,775,000 in 2017.

His cap hit at 9 million is tolerable for a starting LT...again, so long as he isn't a liability and so long as we can't improve the position either by better play by another player or by equal play by a cheaper player.

I think it will be more like Beatty/Pugh/Richburg/Schwartz/Flowers

This is what I think. They may look at another OG tonight or tommorow to develop behind Schwartz. Schwartz hasn't been a pillar of health and I am not sure if he's really that good

Is it me or is this years draft just plain blah blah boring? Also, is the Green room on the roof of some place or out on a fire escape . This is just a wierd draft.