SportsWrath

Rookie QB Nassib impressing Giants

BleedinBlue

Sounds good to me!

The big question I have is whether the Giants will carry 2 or 3 QB's on the 53 man team.

http://www.nypost.co...BXp1UMGojNvoV6M

Though the Giants hope he never has to play a regular-season snap in the foreseeable future, they can't help but be impressed so far by rookie quarterback Ryan Nassib.

The Syracuse product has looked so good, in fact, he already is being listed ahead of veteran Curtis Painter as the No. 3 behind Eli Manning and backup David Carr on the first "unofficial" depth chart released by the team Thursday.

"He's got a strong arm," coach Tom Coughlin said of the fourth-round pick, who was a surprise choice by the Giants considering Manning's youth and durability.

Throwing inside when rain forced the Giants to move to their practice bubble, Nassib flashed that big arm on a pair of throws to free-agent wideout Kevin Hardy Thursday that each covered more than 40 yards in the air.

----------------------------------------

In other news:

* The unofficial depth chart released by the Giants contained few surprises.

Ex-Eagles defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins is listed ahead of veteran Shaun Rogers at right tackle, with Linval Joseph the starter at left tackle in front of rookie Johnathan Hankins.

The early nod at linebacker, meanwhile, went to veteran Keith Rivers on the strong side, Mark Herzlich in the middle and Spencer Paysinger ahead of Jacquian Williams on the weak side.

On offense, David Diehl is listed ahead of late-signing rookie Justin Pugh at right tackle, though that could change over the coming weeks as the first-rounder from Syracuse becomes more comfortable with the system.

Pugh, in fact, received a handful of snaps with the first-team offense.

* Victor Cruz gave a thumbs down to the NFL's radical changes to the Pro Bowl that were announced Wednesday.

Instead of NFC vs. AFC, the rosters will now be determined by a "fantasy draft" captained by Deion Sanders and Jerry Rice. The game also will no longer include kickoffs, among many alterations.

"I'm not the biggest fan of [the changes], to be honest with you, but they're trying to make the Pro Bowl fun again," said Cruz, who played in the game last season. "I respect it and I like Jerry and Deion. It should be some fun interaction between those two guys."

* Coughlin said he will not have to miss any practice time this weekend to accompany the Giants' official contingent to the Hall of Fame induction ceremony for Bill Parcells in Canton, Ohio.

* Jenkins was excused from practice because of the death of his grandmother.

from the article, I'm surprised Paysinger is ahead of Williams.

Not surprised... they're both very close in skill and from what I've read before Peysinger worked hard in the offseason adding muscle I think.

Not surprised... they're both very close in skill and from what I've read before Peysinger worked hard in the offseason adding muscle I think.

We are in agreement...ha, ha.

Yeah....people are vastly underestimating Paysinger. Not only has he looked very good when he had the opportunity to play....he is now 20 lbs heavier after his winter workout regimen and it's all muscle. And he's durable....something Williams is going to have to become to be first string.

BB...where can I find the rest of the unofficial depth chart?

Thanks.

C. Wagon

Since it's "unofficial", there is no depth chart. It's based on writers witnessing practices and seeing who is playing with the obvious first teamers.

I suspect the "unofficial" chart is pretty much all of last year's starters with the above deviations noted above playing with the first team.

Here's a link to all the players and it appears everyone listed first on the depth chart is the "unofficial" starters: http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/information-pages/depth-chart/

why is TT so low? is he not practicing?

The chart isn't from Giants' coaches, but simply another fan site. I think they are bringing TT in slowly. He's a great weapon if he can get through practice and preseason without taking a hit to the knees. I hope he can make it through the season and play at 100%. time will tell.

Since it's "unofficial", there is no depth chart. It's based on writers witnessing practices and seeing who is playing with the obvious first teamers.

I suspect the "unofficial" chart is pretty much all of last year's starters with the above deviations noted above playing with the first team.

Here's a link to all the players and it appears everyone listed first on the depth chart is the "unofficial" starters: http://www.bigbluein...es/depth-chart/

Thanks BB

C.W gaon

The chart isn't from Giants' coaches, but simply another fan site. I think they are bringing TT in slowly. He's a great weapon if he can get through practice and preseason without taking a hit to the knees. I hope he can make it through the season and play at 100%. time will tell.

yeah but i figured it was based on observing practice which kind of worried me that he's not getting a lot of reps

This is correct. Tuesday TT, Snee and a couple others were doing drills on the 2nd field while the rest of the team was on the main field.

We are in agreement...ha, ha.

Yeah....people are vastly underestimating Paysinger. Not only has he looked very good when he had the opportunity to play....he is now 20 lbs heavier after his winter workout regimen and it's all muscle. And he's durable....something Williams is going to have to become to be first string.

Ah, now I'm starting to get it. I didn't know that.

Williams really flashed to me a couple times, but you're right, he hasn't stayed on the field.

Nassib is ahead of Curtis Painter!? Why, that must mean he doesn't suck horribly!

It's his natural spot from a positive stand point. Your surely don't expect him to be ahead of car at this juncture.

It's his natural spot from a positive stand point. Your surely don't expect him to be ahead of car at this juncture.

No, I don't. But I do expect Curtis Painter to be waived. I have no idea why Reese signed him in the first place, other than as an extra arm in camp. So this news just isn't all that exciting to me.

Strange this article says he's impressing. Everything I've heard has said he's been really erratic and has only looked good while outside the pocket.

Was gonna say the same thing, even if he was impressive, so what? He's never seeing the field in a real game.

No, I don't. But I do expect Curtis Painter to be waived. I have no idea why Reese signed him in the first place, other than as an extra arm in camp. So this news just isn't all that exciting to me.

Another Manning back-up QB favour.

Strange this article says he's impressing. Everything I've heard has said he's been really erratic and has only looked good while outside the pocket.

He was erratic the first couple of days of camp... he seems to have settled down which is great.

More struggles for Nassib yesterday, with two picks during a 2 minute drill. Carr will be the back up and our rookie 4th round pick will be the #3, as we all expected going in. I can't recall the last time the Giants carried 3 QBs but no way Nassib would get through waivers to be eligible for our practice squad and no way he's ready to play if Eli goes down (perish the thought!). He's either the #3 or we lose him.