SportsWrath

Rookie QB Nassib impressing Giants

BleedinBlue

More struggles for Nassib yesterday, with two picks during a 2 minute drill. Carr will be the back up and our rookie 4th round pick will be the #3, as we all expected going in. I can't recall the last time the Giants carried 3 QBs but no way Nassib would get through waivers to be eligible for our practice squad and no way he's ready to play if Eli goes down (perish the thought!). He's either the #3 or we lose him.

2007, the Hefty Lefty and Anthony Wright.

Nassib is a cerebral type QB with a cannon for an arm. Going from college to the pros is a huge step. But he has the God-given tools of an elite throwing QB and the right IQ and mental makeup to make the transition to the highest level....and he will. But it won't be overnight.

• 3 weeks later...

The big question I have is whether the Giants will carry 2 or 3 QB's on the 53 man team.

Yeah, they'll need to carry 3 QBs.....which is a waste in my opinion.

Nassib was a great pick.....if Eli were 35 years old, which he is not.

More struggles for Nassib yesterday, with two picks during a 2 minute drill. Carr will be the back up and our rookie 4th round pick will be the #3, as we all expected going in. I can't recall the last time the Giants carried 3 QBs but no way Nassib would get through waivers to be eligible for our practice squad and no way he's ready to play if Eli goes down (perish the thought!). He's either the #3 or we lose him.

I saw nothing that would make me regret losing him.

When the Giants drafted Nassib, it was a head scratcher to me....not because he wasn't perhaps the best QB in the entire draft and most analysts had him going in the first round and the first QB off the board....but because we simply didn't need another QB.

Over time, I have figured out the front office strategy of the Giants and what was being said in the war room. They knew that the Eagles were going to take a QB in that round and they were drooling over Nassib still sitting there. The last thing on earth the Giants wanted was for the Eagles to have a future QB that can go toe to toe with Eli in a couple of years. So even though we didn't need Nassib...our guys traded up to jump in front of Philadelphia and snatched him up to keep him away from them.

If we had a hidden camera in the Eagles' war room, we would've heard a lot of groans and "oh shit" being said. I really believe that was the strategy behind the pick. At worst, Nassib becomes a reliable backup or trade bait. At best, he becomes a top tier QB to eventually takeover the job from Eli....and of course, we stuck it up the ass of the Eagles who haven't had a cerebral type QB in decades and their Superbowl record shows how much they need one.

When the Giants drafted Nassib, it was a head scratcher to me....not because he wasn't perhaps the best QB in the entire draft and most analysts had him going in the first round and the first QB off the board....but because we simply didn't need another QB.

Over time, I have figured out the front office strategy of the Giants and what was being said in the war room. They knew that the Eagles were going to take a QB in that round and they were drooling over Nassib still sitting there. The last thing on earth the Giants wanted was for the Eagles to have a future QB that can go toe to toe with Eli in a couple of years. So even though we didn't need Nassib...our guys traded up to jump in front of Philadelphia and snatched him up to keep him away from them.

If we had a hidden camera in the Eagles' war room, we would've heard a lot of groans and "oh shit" being said. I really believe that was the strategy behind the pick. At worst, Nassib becomes a reliable backup or trade bait. At best, he becomes a top tier QB to eventually takeover the job from Eli....and of course, we stuck it up the ass of the Eagles who haven't had a cerebral type QB in decades and their Superbowl record shows how much they need one.

NO! At worst we cut him in a few weeks because we can't afford the luxury of keeping 3 QBs on the active roster. There is no trade value in a 3rd string rookie QB. I doubt anyone would even give us a 7th for him right now, let alone a 4th or better. The "trade bait" idea is completely unrealistic.

NO! At worst we cut him in a few weeks because we can't afford the luxury of keeping 3 QBs on the active roster. There is no trade value in a 3rd string rookie QB. I doubt anyone would even give us a 7th for him right now, let alone a 4th or better. The "trade bait" idea is completely unrealistic.

Exactly...nobody wanted him in a weak QB class...whose gonna want him in 2014...which should be a better QB class. Honestly,I don't think the Eagles went..."ah shit, we have to settle for Barkley"

A lot of teams including the Giants till recently carry 3 QBs on the roster.

I didn't say we wouldn't, I said THAT was the 'worst case scenario', in response to " At worst, Nassib becomes a reliable backup or trade bait."

We don't have trade him this year. I'm thinking more of a future trade bait scenario.

We don't have trade him this year. I'm thinking more of a future trade bait scenario.

Again, who would want to trade for an untested 3rd string QB? The only value here is if he proves to be a competent enough as a back-up QB that we can release Carr, and that is the ONLY realistic reasoning behind drafting him at all.

Again, who would want to trade for an untested 3rd string QB? The only value here is if he proves to be a competent enough as a back-up QB that we can release Carr, and that is the ONLY realistic reasoning behind drafting him at all.

I think I have a solution.....if the Giants can create a device that can distort time and space, it might allow them to enter a parallel universe.....once they clear that hurdle, it shouldn't be too difficult to locate Alternate Universe Reese and engineer a trade for Nassib.

320x240.jpg

ALSO, most analysts had Geno Smith as the first QB off the board, and most analysts had Nassib as a 2nd rd pick. I think it's pretty clear that Reese and Co. Saw Nassib fall as far as he did and got infatuated with his relative value in the draft, and saw visions of Kevin Kolb trade value. Of course, this is highly unlikely. The most likely scenario is that Nassib never plays a meaning ful down in a reg season game for the Giants, and we let him go as a free agent 4 hears from now.

Nassib would need 1-2 good games as a backup to show value. QB is one of the few positions where trades are made: Kolb, Feeley, Cassel just off the top of my head. So it's not out of the question.

Even if that doesn't pan out, you have a 1st/2nd rounder (or whatever his value was supposed to be) as a potential backup for Manning. You ultimately reduce the cap number spent on QB starting next year for as long as we have Nassib. That's worth biting the bullet for this year.

And no one has convinced me that Greene would be a superstar on this team with the current linebackers coach; which is what all this is about, since Reese/Coughlin have been drafting QBs all this time (Lorenzen, Woodson, etc.). It may be a different story for him in Chicago--but they obviously know how to coach linebackers.

Nassib would need 1-2 good games as a backup to show value. QB is one of the few positions where trades are made: Kolb, Feeley, Cassel just off the top of my head. So it's not out of the question.

Even if that doesn't pan out, you have a 1st/2nd rounder (or whatever his value was supposed to be) as a potential backup for Manning. You ultimately reduce the cap number spent on QB starting next year for as long as we have Nassib. That's worth biting the bullet for this year.

And no one has convinced me that Greene would be a superstar on this team with the current linebackers coach; which is what all this is about, since Reese/Coughlin have been drafting QBs all this time (Lorenzen, Woodson, etc.). It may be a different story for him in Chicago--but they obviously know how to coach linebackers.

Well said, Fish. I'll add that I have no confidence in Carr... he hasn't proven anything and is a bust as far as I'm concerned....

Feeley is the best "trade bait" comparison; 3rd string, 5th round choice. Note that he didn't get to play until both McNabb and Detmer went down. Miami paid a 2nd for him based on his 5 game performance a year before, but before the end of the season he was on the bench as he couldn't out-play Jay Fiedler. They traded him to San Diego, where he was cut a year later.

None of the recent back-up QB trades have worked out. GMs aren`t blind, and its a very, very slim chance that we could ever recover a 4th or better from trading Nassib.

I thought there is a special designation for the 3rd QB that doesn't count against your active roster.

LW, used to be a rule for the active roster on gamedays. You're 3rd string emergency QB would not count against the game day active roster of 45 players. However, a couple of years ago, the owners just decided to expand the game day active roster to 46 players and dropped the rule. It does not apply to the 53 man active roster for the entire team during the season, of course... if a player like Nassib is not on the Active Roster, he would need to be on an injury designation list like IR or PUP (which he's ineligible for, of course), or have to be exposed to waivers with the Practice Squad. Since the latter would be asinine for the Giants to do after using (wasting?) a 4th on him, and he would be quickly gobbled up by another team, he will have to either be placed on IR with an injury, or be placed on the active roster.

LW, used to be a rule for the active roster on gamedays. You're 3rd string emergency QB would not count against the game day active roster of 45 players. However, a couple of years ago, the owners just decided to expand the game day active roster to 46 players and dropped the rule. It does not apply to the 53 man active roster for the entire team during the season, of course... if a player like Nassib is not on the Active Roster, he would need to be on an injury designation list like IR or PUP (which he's ineligible for, of course), or have to be exposed to waivers with the Practice Squad. Since the latter would be asinine for the Giants to do after using (wasting?) a 4th on him, and he would be quickly gobbled up by another team, he will have to either be placed on IR with an injury, or be placed on the active roster.

Right now, the practice squad is where he belongs, but yeah, I don't see him clearing waivers.