SportsWrath

Honeymoon is over in Dallas

Treehugger

Cowboys want to lighten Tony Romo's pre-snap load

• By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The League editor
  • Published: Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:00 a.m.
  • Updated: Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:25 a.m.

At a time where the best young, rising NFL quarterbacks take on more and more responsibility before the snap, the Dallas Cowboys want to pull back the reins on Tony Romo.

"As a staff, we talked about just lightening (Romo's) load and trying to do things that are simple and giving him more peace of mind that he can just come up and call a play and run it,"

Offensive line coach/offensive coordinator Bill Callahan said via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "That simplification will help all of us, and we'll see."

The Cowboys struggle with confusion and sloppiness on offense. Not everyone seems to be on the same page. We have always been big believers in Romo, but he doesn't "win before the snap" like a lot of the top-10 quarterbacks in the league. Romo was asked if mistakes happen because he's trying to do too much.

"We're not here to talk about negative stuff," he said.

Callahan said that all the pre-snap adjustments and options can "get out of hand" sometimes. That's not something you ever hear a coach in New Orleans, Denver or New England say.

Romo has his issues but that O isn't helping him much. Reminds me of when all the talking heads were bad mouthing Eli for his high INT season, 26 I think. When your WRs run the wrong routes, your OLine can barely protect you or stand still and your clutch TE is playing up and down it's tough as a QB. QBs need help and Romo isn't getting much.

The idea that Romo is a bad quarterback is so fucking wrong. if he played for us, we'd love him. fact is Dallas spend half their top draft picks on these "super" players such as Bryant and Felix jones who are fucking clueless instead of getting actual "football" players, guys with a clue. Romo/Witten/Murray and somewhat of an overated Myles Austin, and a overall weak offensive line, you can't play for the long haul like that.

Fuck romo. He deserve it for being a cowgirl. I really don't care if he has never get any love.

Let me not excuse just him. There's the Vick clown and the new BJ3 kid from redskins. As a fan it's my job to cheer for their failures when they play against us.

As a fan cheer and pray or our successes. No reason to cheer for anyone's failure. Our success automatically means someone else's failure. Its football

As a fan cheer and pray or our successes. No reason to cheer for anyone's failure. Our success automatically means someone else's failure. Its football

Without a love hate relationship there's really no drama and we all love dramas!!!!! It's part of the fun.

But as a human being it is what it is. Romo can screw himself in a cowgirl jersey. But in street clothes i might see differently.

I agree. While not clutch, or at least not yet, I think he is a good quarterback. And, I agree with Seph, he seems like an all right guy. I can't physical root for a Cowboy but if he did go somewhere else I wouldn't mind seeing him do well.

Really? Romo seems like a douchey, preppy, frat-boy (he's a member of my fraternity) to me....exactly the type of dude my chapter wouldn't have allowed to Pledge.....

Without a love hate relationship there's really no drama and we all love dramas!!!!! It's part of the fun.

But as a human being it is what it is. Romo can screw himself in a cowgirl jersey. But in street clothes i might see differently.

I'm with you, dude....I don't get these guys supposed Romo love. I would absolutely loathe the guy no matter where he went to.

He may not SEEM like a douche, but he definitely made by far the douchiest football play I have ever seen in NFL history. That botched extra point field goal in the playoff game against the Seahawks was just absolutely fucking terrible. The worst play I've ever seen a professional football player make. He just lets the ball go right through his hands gets shoe-string tackled about 3 inches from the goalline and single handedly loses the game for them. Awesome for Giants and NFC East fans because it was definitely a foreshadowing of his entire career----single-handedly losing games for that team. Douche.

just remember what happened to our offense in 2002 when fassel told sean peyton to stop being so cute pre-snap. i bet their offense gets better

Didn't he straight up relieve Sean Payton of the playcalling duties?

Really? Romo seems like a douchey, preppy, frat-boy (he's a member of my fraternity) to me....exactly the type of dude my chapter wouldn't have allowed to Pledge.....

Really, you guys didn't like handsome professional athletes? What's he done that's so bad? He's never come off as a bad guy to me, I don't recall so at least. It's not like he's yelling at his players on the sidelines or getting in trouble off the field like others guys. He seems like a pretty regular dude.

I'm with you, dude....I don't get these guys supposed Romo love. I would absolutely loathe the guy no matter where he went to.

He may not SEEM like a douche, but he definitely made by far the douchiest football play I have ever seen in NFL history. That botched extra point field goal in the playoff game against the Seahawks was just absolutely fucking terrible. The worst play I've ever seen a professional football player make. He just lets the ball go right through his hands gets shoe-string tackled about 3 inches from the goalline and single handedly loses the game for them. Awesome for Giants and NFC East fans because it was definitely a foreshadowing of his entire career----single-handedly losing games for that team. Douche.

Thank god.. I still remember that game where romo lost his pride on a shitty butterfinger play. That defined his whole career till this day!

Romo hasn't done anything criminal. Hell, I heard he visit cancer kids at the hospital. But we're not talking about murderers or Ponzi scam artis. We are just treating him like a normal human being. Like someone you know who is a douche. Who might tell you he'll pay the bill with his card and you give him your cash but use your tip money to pay for his meal. Now that's a douche and I know someone who done that.