SportsWrath

Tiki Barber: Tom Coughlin won't see me

Mr. P

Tiki Barber has tried to set up a face-to-face meeting with New York Giants Tom Coughlin in an attempt to bury the hatchet, but Coughlin won't accept one, the franchise's all-time leading rusher told ESPNNewYork.com's Ian O'Connor during an interview on 1050 ESPN New York.

"We tried. He said no, through his agent, (Giants vice president of communications) Pat Hanlon," Barber said. "But one of these days I'm sure it'll happen, because as we know, time heals all wounds. And I think at the end of the day, Giants fans, despite their dislike of me at times, know that I was one of the guys that put (it) on the line every time I put on my uniform."

It has been well-documented how Barber never saw eye-to-eye with Coughlin during his playing days, and the two eventually had a falling out. Barber had said in the past that it was the Coughlin's militant and "demeaning" coaching style that drove him from the field into the broadcast booth. On Nov. 29, a day after the Giants were blown out by the Saints in New Orleans, Barber wrote an online column criticizing Coughlin.

"I took pride in what I did. I knew there were 52 other guys counting on me every week," Barber replied when asked why he was able to rise to the occasion on Sundays despite his rocky relationship with Coughlin. "One issue I've ever had with Tom is he never respected that. He always tried to vilify me."

Barber retired following the 2006 season, but attempted to make a comeback in 2011. He worked out with the Miami Dolphins in August, but they didn't offer him a contract, and neither did any other NFL team. Barber's former teammate, Plaxico Burress, was surprised, prompting Burress to say that Barber was "better than half the backs in this league."

Barber agrees with Burress' assessment, but said he won't be attempting another comeback again.

"No. No. I'm not trying to come back," Barber said. "It was an excuse for me to get up off the couch and do something, and it worked, because now I'm engaged in a few different things and I feel really strong about where I am personally, and that's all that matters in life."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7464475/tiki-barber-wants-meeting-says-new-york-giants-coach-tom-coughlin-accept?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

hey tiki, maybe coughlin has more important things to do.

Wow seems like to only person that can't let it go is Tiki himself...

I think he was hurt deep by the fact the year after he retired the giants went on to win it all under coughlin.

I am willing to bet deep down inside he hoped the giants would crumble without the great TIki Barber

"I took pride in what I did. I knew there were 52 other guys counting on me every week," Barber replied when asked why he was able to rise to the occasion on Sundays despite his rocky relationship with Coughlin. "One issue I've ever had with Tom is he never respected that. He always tried to vilify me."

Barber was given around 60% of offensive touches in '05-'06. How is that not a sign of respect?

Furthermore, I don't recall Coughlin ever publically attacking Barber, before or after retirement. He has mentioned failures in execution in the past, but never pointed to a single player, other than in a blatant incident (Matt Dodge, Kiwi after the Titan's game in 2006). So I don't know what he's on about.

I can still remember when Tiki was 75% or more of our offense, other teams knew it, and he still played extraordinarily well. I loved him as a player and at a time when players were bouncing all over the league, he stayed a NY Giant. I liked that a lot about him. I mean, I was literally waiting his retirement so I could get an authentic Barber jersey to go along with my Bavaro and Taylor jerseys.

That said, given what's come out about his retirement and the reasons behind it, I've lost all the respect I had for him. All of it. I never did get that Barber jersey and am rather glad about it. Tiki burned his bridges big time and is now dying to get back to where he was before...not realizing that by destroying the relationships he had previously, the road back is no longer there.

A bitter bitter young man....and he had such promise both on and off the field. Left with a bad taste; bombed out in his career....and fucked up a beautiful marriage with two kids and one in the oven....he has to look himself in the middle.

Fixed. :)

I can still remember when Tiki was 75% or more of our offense, other teams knew it, and he still played extraordinarily well. I loved him as a player and at a time when players were bouncing all over the league, he stayed a NY Giant. I liked that a lot about him. I mean, I was literally waiting his retirement so I could get an authentic Barber jersey to go along with my Bavaro and Taylor jerseys.

That said, given what's come out about his retirement and the reasons behind it, I've lost all the respect I had for him. All of it. I never did get that Barber jersey and am rather glad about it. Tiki burned his bridges big time and is now dying to get back to where he was before...not realizing that by destroying the relationships he had previously, the road back is no longer there.

Very moving.

A bitter bitter young man....and he had such promise both on and off the field. Left with a bad taste; bombed out in his career....and fucked up a beautiful marriage with two kids and one in the oven....he has to look himself in the middle.

Well-said. I know this has nothing to do with football, but I can't respect any guy that would leave a pregnant wife.....says alot about his lack of character.

Well-said. I know this has nothing to do with football, but I can't respect any guy that would leave a pregnant wife.....says alot about his lack of character.

Exactly...I know I have made jokes about her being the Dragon Lady (because she is Chinese...nice looking little package though...see she likes "Brown Rice"...might be a date in my future... :blush: ); but he left her while pregnant with two other kids; and its not like he left her for someone who was a secret love of his life for years. He left her for a young blond intern...who I bet is about to leave his ass. Tiki is about the learn the old adage of "no money...no honey" :LMAO: Now back to Tiki's ex wife....oh the possibilities... :05-mafia::pimp::banana::sheeplover::030:

I got into allot of arguments with people about this subject. Then after Tiki cheated on his pregnant wife, the argemnt was over. He's a scumbag no way around it.

Exactly....a John Edwards-Newt Gingrich Type...fuck him...a pitiable/pitiful little bastard. I wonder what his brother thinks...as he still has a family and a post football career.