SportsWrath

Antrel Rolle

Lughead

when they boo the team.

Well buddy welcome to NY. Play like shit and that's what you are going to get. The opening drive was promising but Hagen had to hold on to that ball. ok ok that was offense but any way do your job and stop MJD from running a mile on defense and you wont heard the boos.

BOO HOO

You better adjust Rolle.

when they boo the team.

Well buddy welcome to NY. Play like shit and that's what you are going to get. The opening drive was promising but Hagen had to hold on to that ball. ok ok that was offense but any way do your job and stop MJD from running a mile on defense and you wont heard the boos.

BOO HOO

You better adjust Rolle.

I think Rolle and Tuck are the only two guys on the defense who can legitimately make this complaint. Rolle and Tuck are out there giving everything on every play and dont need a "speech" to get them to play well.

Well they are physically falling apart down there. I wish Antrel much luck in finding something fan won't boo. We could be winning by 70 points and still boo a playcall.

People were booing because they looked exactly like the Giants from last year. Falling apart in the second half of the season.

Well they are physically falling apart down there. I wish Antrel much luck in finding something fan won't boo. We could be winning by 70 points and still boo a playcall.

The defense is just fine injury wise and is very inconsistent.

What's likely the problem is that Giants fans are smart, loyal, and know what's going on with their team.

In Arizona, the stadium is 2/3rds full. 1/3 of the fans root for the Cards, another third roots for whoever the visiting team is, and a third of the stadium is empty. The Cards suck every year, so nobody pays attention to them unless they're doing well... hence, nobody boos the home team because: 1. they expect the Cards to suck, and 2. "wait, what was their record last year... and Kurt Warner is still the QB, right?"

In the Meadowlands, there's history and tradition. Football is a pastime, but it's also what brings people together and is a way of life. Fans know that outside of the magical Super Bowl Win, Coughlin's teams always fade down the stretch and lose in the first round of the playoffs to the Eagles. They know the teams fuck up for the same reasons every year: turnovers and injuries. And as stated in the article, they pay GOOD money for tickets... they don't buy them from a scalper outside the stadium for eight bucks a piece... they actually expect their team to try and play hard for the money they've spent.

Antrel Rolle hasn't known to this point what it's like to play for a team that has fans that actually CARE about their team, but he'll probably learn. "There's never a reason to boo the team" is a totally naive thing to say.

I'm not sure here........does he think it's ok to boo your team?

And how many times is he going to say things like "We're not going to always have those dominant, blowout games. We're not going to win each and every game" or ""We know we don't give the best of the best show all the time, but we are Giants at the end of the day"? I think the Giants paid you $37 million to have those dominant, blowout games and to give the best show all the time. And you're getting paid on the FAN to tell us all how you're not going to win all the games or put on the best show all the time. Just sayin'.

What's likely the problem is that Giants fans are smart, loyal, and know what's going on with their team.

In Arizona, the stadium is 2/3rds full. 1/3 of the fans root for the Cards, another third roots for whoever the visiting team is, and a third of the stadium is empty. The Cards suck every year, so nobody pays attention to them unless they're doing well... hence, nobody boos the home team because: 1. they expect the Cards to suck, and 2. "wait, what was their record last year... and Kurt Warner is still the QB, right?"

In the Meadowlands, there's history and tradition. Football is a pastime, but it's also what brings people together and is a way of life. Fans know that outside of the magical Super Bowl Win, Coughlin's teams always fade down the stretch and lose in the first round of the playoffs to the Eagles. They know the teams fuck up for the same reasons every year: turnovers and injuries. And as stated in the article, they pay GOOD money for tickets... they don't buy them from a scalper outside the stadium for eight bucks a piece... they actually expect their team to try and play hard for the money they've spent.

Antrel Rolle hasn't known to this point what it's like to play for a team that has fans that actually CARE about their team, but he'll probably learn. "There's never a reason to boo the team" is a totally naive thing to say.

Youve hit the nail almost directly on the head here. Except what you are explaining, describes how it was when they played in Sun Devil Stadium. The only difference with the new stadium is, those 1/3 seats that were empty, are now filled with sudden cards fans from the last 2 yrs.......who still know very little to nothing about their team. :rolleyes:

I like Antrel, although he does need to realize what fan base he's playin for.

I'm not one to boo my team when I go to a game, but that first half by the defense was pathetic. There is no other way to describe their effort. Cofield looked to be working the entire game but he was the only one that I really noticed until the third quarter. Sports in the northeast is a different animal and while I don't subscribe to the booing, Rolle and the rest of the team should expect it when they put forth efforts like they did in the first 30 minutes on Sunday. Eventually, I think he will come to understand playing in New York and the expectations that come with it.

You gotta take the good with the bad. Because I have been to some games where we booed the giants right off the field. but I have also been to games where the energy and excitement in the crowd was electric and the cheering was deafening.

We are a Passionate fan base.

he should just be happy the fans in the meadowlands show signs of life from time to time

They had the Giants and Jacksonville game on NFL replay and something I noticed was definitely lack of crowd noise. When Jacksonville was driving for their game winning score you could barely hear the crowd. I had to check the score bar to make sure that the Giants were actually at home.

rolle should stop talking for a while.

Antrel Rolle does not get it. Tuesday morning on his paid weekly radio spot on WFAN, the Giants safety said he was ticked off at fans who had booed the team. Thursday, he defended his stance by comparing himself and his Giants teammates to the troops coming home from Iraq.

"They want to make it that guys paid this much money for a ticket, yeah, I understand that, I understand completely. We risk ourselves out there on the field each and every day also. When soldiers come home from Iraq you don't boo them. I look at it the same way. I take my job seriously," Rolle said.

Rolle does not speak for all his teammates, however.

Defensive end Osi Umenyiora was so ticked off at the defensive effort in the first half of Sunday's game that he spoke up at halftime, something he's never done before. He understood the fans frustration.

"I am used to it. That's just the way the fans are. They have every right to be that way, they are paying $120 a ticket to come watch us play you can't go out and stink it up like that," Umenyiora said. "Especially in New York. As long as they are coming to watch us play, they can boo, they can do whatever they want to do. That's well within their rights to do that."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2010/12/02/2010-12-02_giants_safety_antrel_rolle_compares_booing_nfl_players_to_booing_soldiers_coming.html?r=sports&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fsports+%28Sports%29&utm_content=Twitter

tryin to do some damage control:

Minutes later, in an interview with The Star-Ledger and SNY, Rolle clarified his comments – before they even ran anywhere and before he was asked about them.

“I gave the analogy as far as when you have troops coming from Iraq they don’t get booed. And you know, it’s not even a comparable analogy,” he said. “You cannot remotely compare what we do as opposed to what they do. They’re fighting for our freedom, they’re fighting for our country, We’re out there playing a game. At the end of the day, it’s a game. We get paid a lot of money, I understand that. But at the end of the day it’s a game.”

Rolle said the only connection he was trying to make was between the soldiers risking their lives and the football players who suffer severe injuries.

“But some people, I’m sure they’re going to take that and run and say, ‘Oh my God, Antrel is comparing himself to troops in Iraq.’ No I’m not comparing myself to troops in Iraq,” he said. “I couldn’t (serve in the military). I’m not brave enough to do it. I’ll be the first one to admit it. I’m not brave enough to do that so I’ll definitely tip my hat to those guys and those troopers that risk their lives and put their lives on the line in order for me to play the sport I love to play.

“It’s not Antrel comparing himself. I’m just going to clear that up so you know that. It’s not that at all.”

6:21 p.m. UPDATE Rolle also issued a statement through the Giants' media-relations department. It's as follows:

"I used a very poor, inappropriate example earlier today to demonstrate how seriously I take my job. Obviously there is no comparison between the men and women of our military putting their life on the line defending our country and what I do. They risk their lives and that gives me the opportunity to play a game for a living. After I made my earlier comments, somebody even said to me: how would your father, who is the chief of police in Homestead and puts himself at risk every day, feel about the comparison you made? Again, it was a very poor, very inappropriate choice of words."