SportsWrath

What we can take out of Giants/Jets

Sephiroth

I know it's just the preseason, blah, blah, blah. But what good is the preseason if we can't jump the gun and make ridiculous, outlandish statements?

Here's what I got out of tonite's game:

1. The defense has a LONG way to go. Those starting tackles looked awful and were getting pushed all over the place. WHY is Rocky Bernard running with the "ones?" Justin Tuck didn't look like he was trying very hard, until Gruden informed me that I was actually watching JASON Tuck... then it sort of made sense.

2. Ahmad Bradshaw should be starting for the Giants.

3. It looks like we may have legit backups at the QB position for the first time in years. I was impressed with both Sorgi and Bomar.

4. Cruz looks like he'll take Sinorice Moss' job.

5. Even though Barden didn't do much, I paid a lot of attention to him when he was on the field... he is definitely running better routes and looks to be much more explosive off the line... not as slow and clumsy as he looked last year.

Just got home fro the game.. left at halftime actually.. didn't wanna get home at 1 am.

The new stadium is ok.. nothing spectacular. The parking arrangements are fucking horrible. They had us park outside.. way outside.. only take a school bus (shuttle) to another spot where another bus picked us up.. and walking a good 5 blocks in between... The food is typical stadium food.. you'd think someone would pull his head out of his ass and ask.. why do we have to serve shitty food simply because it's a stadium.. oh.. and 2 chocolate chip cookies went for $5.

The lick Eli took at least from my vantage point was completely Jacobs' fault.. I don't know for the life of me why he'd run into his own QB... the hit looked bad but he'll be ok.. granted the Jets' player didn't really have to try to paralyze him..

Aside from that.. I missed my couch.. watching the game from home is much more entertaining.

David Carr was a legit backup. So the first legit back up in a year...lol

I thought Eli looked pretty awful...but then I remembered Steve Smith wasn't out there....and we had no tight ends...so I'm not too worried.

We're still better than the Jets and always will be.

David Carr was a legit backup. So the first legit back up in a year...lol

I thought Eli looked pretty awful...but then I remembered Steve Smith wasn't out there....and we had no tight ends...so I'm not too worried.

We're still better than the Jets and always will be.

Who was our starting left tackle?

I know it's just the preseason, blah, blah, blah. But what good is the preseason if we can't jump the gun and make ridiculous, outlandish statements?

Here's what I got out of tonite's game:

1. The defense has a LONG way to go. Those starting tackles looked awful and were getting pushed all over the place. WHY is Rocky Bernard running with the "ones?" Justin Tuck didn't look like he was trying very hard, until Gruden informed me that I was actually watching JASON Tuck... then it sort of made sense.

2. Ahmad Bradshaw should be starting for the Giants.

3. It looks like we may have legit backups at the QB position for the first time in years. I was impressed with both Sorgi and Bomar.

4. Cruz looks like he'll take Sinorice Moss' job.

5. Even though Barden didn't do much, I paid a lot of attention to him when he was on the field... he is definitely running better routes and looks to be much more explosive off the line... not as slow and clumsy as he looked last year.

i thought david carr was legit- he had a great game for sf - pre season. i was not as impressed with sorgi as i was with bohmer.

i think ramses has a long way to go and won't sniff the field- i put him at #6 receiver.

I have to admit I never made it through half-time (that couch was the culprit), but from what little I saw, our first two draft picks did a pretty good job; especially considering they were up against the Jets starters.

Still way too many successful runs up the middle against our starters.

The starting offensive line got embarrassed. We couldn't run and the pass protection sucked ass.

The starting defensive line was equally bad. The ends didn't get much pressure and the DTs were getting pushed around. Yes, the Jets have a very good starting offensive line, but....

I really like our backups. They played pretty well. I like that Cruz kid a lot. If he doesn't replace Moss, than I'm fully convinced that Moss is fucking someone high up in the ownership. Sinorice Moss is fucking worthless given Smith, Nicks, Barden, Cruz, Manningham, Hagan.

Oh, and let me just say that I hate like hell seing Aaron Ross returning punts. I like Cruz for the role right now based on this game.

1) Victor Cruz could be for real. A lot of walkon type guys who excel in practice, fold like a cheap suit in a real game situation. Cruz actually excelled when put in that spot.

2) Pierre-Paul has a way to go, but you can see the hunger in his eyes and he got the only sack in the game. He could be a monster in a year or two

3) Linval Joseph looks like the real deal and seemed to be in on every tackle

4) Rolle looks like a huge upgrade

5) Dodge looked pretty shaky to me and could be a detriment come season

6) Kehl seems to be coming into his own

7) Offensive line needs work, but should be okay by season opener when Snee and Suebert are back

8) I think it would have been a different game for Eli if Smith and Boss were playing

9) I think the running game will improve with the regular offensive line in place and Hedgecock in the game leading blocks

10) The defense looks greatly improved

You can't tell a whole lot from the first preseason game except that these guys obviously need more practice before playbooks, audibles, and substitutions are down pat.

But here is what I saw (and I only watched the first half).

JPP blew past a VERY good starting NFL tackle in Damien Woody. He also jumped offsides badly, but his talent is unquestionable, the Giants got a good one.

Linval Joseph got good penetration and made some great stops, he looks like a good one, too.

Ahmad Bradshaw, on the merits of his long after the catch run alone, should be the feature back. Jacobs still seems to be going down too easily or is not elusive/fast enough to get through the gaps.

Give Ramses a pass for the early drop, no doubt the nerves were playing with some of these guys. I still like him and look forward to his next game.

Not concerned with the offensive line that was missing two starters. Also didn't have our tight ends or fullback... that's a lot of blocking that was missing in this game.

Was not impressed with Andre Brown's kick returns. Already missing Hixon in that respect.

Also not going to be an alarmist like some bloggers about Dodge. It was his first professional game. Give the kid a little bit of a learning curve. He had a couple of booming punts.

Eli Manning solidified himself once again as one of the toughest quarterbacks in the NFL. No doubt would he have gotten back in that game after that hit had it not been the end of his night regardless of the outcome of that play. Some quarterbacks would not have gotten up from that hit as easily.

Time to see what Victor Cruz can do with Eli throwing to him against starting caliber defensive backs in the next preseason game or two. I suspect Sinorice is going to be healthy in a hurry.

Did not see much from Justin Tuck, Osi, or Kiwanuka. I was expecting more.

Canty was disruptive, hopefully he can keep it up and we will see from him what we hoped we would see last season.

I didn't think the offensive line was as bad as others are saying... more that the Jets were bringing 7 guys and the rb's and te's were not picking up the blitzers. This is something that bears watching next game, though.

Ahmad Bradshaw, on the merits of his long after the catch run alone, should be the feature back. Jacobs still seems to be going down too easily or is not elusive/fast enough to get through the gaps.

Not concerned with the offensive line that was missing two starters. Also didn't have our tight ends or fullback... that's a lot of blocking that was missing in this game.

NONE of the backs could get penetration between the tackles and I don't think last nights game, with the extremely depleted blocking as you pointed out, was a good measure of any of them. Bradshaw was useless in running plays, but most of the time the backs were getting gang-tackled behind the line. Not their fault.

I didn't think the offensive line was as bad as others are saying... more that the Jets were bringing 7 guys and the rb's and te's were not picking up the blitzers. This is something that bears watching next game, though.

I think that's a real important point; it seemed like we were running very basic plays on both sides of the ball, while the Jets were emptying their playbook for the whole world to see, especially defensively. They really wanted to win bragging rights last night. The fact that we still crushed them on the scoreboard using limited plays is something of a positive.

My biggest concern, as it was last year, is the running game. Jacobs still doesn't get it. And while Bradshaw is good, but he's no Tiki, or Joe Morris, or Hampton. He's not going to carry a team for the season.

I'm also missing Hixon.

And, yeah! Eli is one tough dude. He took about 3 hits in that play, and it never rattled his cage.

Pierre-Paul? Hard to tell. Seen some quick aggressiveness on some plays, only to see him get pushed around too much on others.