SportsWrath

Albert Haynesworth

Lughead

My link

Redskins thinking of moving Haynesworth to the Giants?

Posted by Andrew Ilnicki under New York Giants, Washington Redskins

albert_haynesworth_200311_ap1.jpg

I know we just covered all the reasons why Albert Haynesworth probably isn't going to go anywhere before the draft — but stuff like this is fun to gab about.

Paul Graziano over at GmenHQ has several excellent points about Haynesworth — in that he would be a GREAT fit for the Giants and they have lots of money to spend after their defensive collapse last year. And not only that, they may be interested in dealing the (relatively) newly acquired Chris Canty who is Dallas' former DE that is a natural 3-4. Read what Paul has come up with: [via]

The question of the day is does Jerry Reese have any interest in taking on big Albert Haynesworth from the Redskins? With rumors that the Redskins proposed including big Al in the deal for Donovan McNabb (and the Iggles politely declined the same), speculation is abound that the Skins are trying to not so subtly move the biggest fish from free agency 2009 as they make the switch to the 3-4 defense.

Reports indicate Haynesworth is not too excited to take on the nose tackle position for Mike Shanahan and big Al and Shanahan are not exactly on friendly terms at the moment. Better yet, the Skins just paid Al a huge sum of cash (to the tune of $21 million) and the remainder of Al's contract becomes extremely cap friendly (profootballtalk.com is reporting that the rest of big Al's deal is in the range of 3 years, $16 million, with $9 million guaranteed). Even if we acknowledge that Haynesworth didn't come close to living up to his big money deal, I would take him for $9 million guaranteed for the next three years. Is Jerry Reese interested?

A short year ago, the Giants tried to lure Haynesworth to the Meadowlands with an $80 million plus contract only to be outbid by Ritchie Rich who guaranteed big Al $42 million with a total contract value in excess of $100 million. I have to think that Jerry will make the call and inquire as to what Mike Shanahan wants to move a guy who is not a good fit for their defensive scheme but more importantly, is not buying into the Shanahan program. If Jerry was willing to add big Al last year, I would assume his interest remains, especially given the affordability of his contract.

It also begs the question, would it make sense to offer up some cash (so Ritchie Rich doesn't have to swallow the entire $21 million paid out last week) and perhaps Chris Canty, who is a natural 3-4 defensive end, and who also disappointed everyone last year after being unable to stay healthy or produce as expected? For my money, I give up Canty and some coin, bring in big Al, and still add another defensive tackle in Round 3 or 4 in the draft, thereby solidifying the Giants run defense and also adding a pocket pushing presence who commands double teams on every snap
(somewhere, Justin Tuck and Osi are smiling at the notion of big Al occupying multiple offensive lineman).

I think if the Giants and Redskins could work out a deal here, not only would it be amazing in that 2010 really is the year of "Rival Gate", but both teams would perhaps be better off. Canty is steeped in the 3-4 scheme and Haynesworth wants to continue playing in a 4-3 tackle spot… and both teams can afford this move. On paper it's perfect.

(bold) wow imagine that?

... Jesus fucking christ I'm trying to come up with a response... I'm drawing blanks here but the thought of big Al in our D would AUTOMATICALLY makes us the #1 defense... at least on paper.

It's just a n idea from the one blogger...but hot damn I'd swap Haynesworth for Canty in a heartbeat.

Yes, but you know you'd never give up Rocky Bernard.

I think that if the Redskins were smart, they'd be looking at Cofield going the other way in a deal.

I am sure we would also have to part with the 15 pick, and then take on Al's big huge contract. Haynesworth though damn that would be sweet

Honestly I doubt that. Haynesworth and Shanahan don't get along and the 'huge' part of the contract was upfront and already paid out. The remainder is only 16 mil over 3 years, which isn't that much more than we'll be paying Canty.

Honestly I doubt that. Haynesworth and Shanahan don't get along and the 'huge' part of the contract was upfront and already paid out. The remainder is only 16 mil over 3 years, which isn't that much more than we'll be paying Canty.

Then yeah I think this would be great, the Skins would still want the 15 pick though for Haynesworth I would do it, but we could be making them better. Mostly I think the Skins like Ndamukong Suh in the draft he would play end in their 3-4,Washington has no #2 or #3 they are in talks and most likely signing Jared Gaither from Baltimore to shore up the o-line, he makes sense but they still have holes along the oline, they would take our 15 and maybe get Dan Williams. So they would have Suh,Williams,Canty,Orakpo and Carter at OLB and Fletcher and McIntosh at Middle and honest to god that would make Washington really good. Still its a win-win for both teams.

this is Haynesworths contract.......................from rotoworld.com2/27/2009: Signed a seven-year, $100 million contract. The deal contains $41 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus and his 2009-2011 base salaries. Haynesworth is due a $29 million "poison pill" in 2013, effectively making it a four-year, $48.2 million deal. Another $15 million is available through incentives.

2010: $3.6 million (+ $21 million guaranteed option bonus due 4/1),

2011: $5.4 million,

2012: $6.7 million (+ $500,000 workout bonus),

2013: $8.5 million (+ $20 million "discretionary signing bonus" + $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31 = Poison Pill Year),

2014: $10.3 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31),

2015: $11.5 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31),

2016: Free Agent

The only thing is, did anyone watch him play last year?

This guy is the definition of a slob. He plays maybe 20 snaps a game at most plus he needs to come off every two plays to catch his breath. Also the guy disappears by the 3rd quarter regardless of the situation. Not to mention he has been nothing but a headcase and a problem in the 'Skins locker room.

I dont know just seems like he would be one of those high risk, high reward players.

Hmmmmm.......Dare I make the "Wow, you guys would trade the 15th for Haynesworth but not for Marshall" post, or should I just leave it to Blunatic? :confused:

wub.gif actually hayney and marshy would add some star power to that dull locker room.

You know, that is exactly what the Redskins thought when they signed him last year. Well last year worked out sooooo well they want to move him a year later. He's not worth that contract and I'd rather watch the Redskins choke on it for at least another season before outright cutting him.

Why do them a favor and pickup their mistake?

wub.gif actually hayney and marshy would add some star power to that dull locker room.

But Marshy would stretch the field opening up the runni....................................................oh, never mind. :fight:

Hmmmmm.......Dare I make the "Wow, you guys would trade the 15th for Haynesworth but not for Marshall" post, or should I just leave it to Blunatic? :confused:

No, I'd trade Canty for Haynesworth. I wouldn't give our 1st for him.

The Skins had an offer (very close to ours) on the table for Canty before they signed Haynesworth. They obviously liked him before.

I am sure we would also have to part with the 15 pick, and then take on Al's big huge contract. Haynesworth though damn that would be sweet

The article stated Al made his big bucks last year.. the remainder of his contract is reasonable. Also what seem to make this viable for both teams is that the Skins want Canty. Nowhere.. nor is it reasonable to even think about parting with any draft picks.. at least not the first 3.