SportsWrath

What Douche.

NightFire

His sarcasm is terrible and what's the point to this article? It just bashes the Giants and has no point to it. How do some of these "journalists" keep their jobs?

Black 'n' Big Blue

At a nightclub in Seattle last April, 6-foot-3, 300-pound NFL defensive lineman Rocky Bernard, according to police and media reports, used his girlfriend as a punching bag.

Bernard was arguing with another woman inside the club when the victim, his girlfriend at the time, approached Bernard and confronted him. She wanted to know why Bernard was arguing with another woman and Bernard responded by allegedly assaulting her.

"(Bernard) walked toward the victim and punched her one time with a closed fist, striking her in the forehead," a police officer wrote in his report on the incident, "causing her forehead to hit a glass divider."

The woman ran from the club, according to police, and tried to hide in her friend's car. Bernard, the police report says, followed her, and as the woman and her friend drove away, Bernard struck the car windows.

Now we know why his name is Rocky.

What's the matter, Mr. Bernard?

Rihanna wasn't available?

Bernard was recently signed by the New York Giants, the new Oakland Raiders East, to a lucrative and long-term free-agent deal.

The Giants didn't stop with Bernard in its mini-spending splurge on alleged woman beaters. Flash back again to last spring. Then=Atlanta Falcons linebacker Michael Boley was arrested for domestic battery. He was accused of assaulting his wife, Chantelle, and according to the Gwinnett Daily Post, Boley's wife had bruises on her back after she was allegedly thrown into a wall.

Boley is 6-3 and weighs 238 pounds.

In all, as the New York Daily News pointed out, the Giants gave $41 million to two men accused of physically attacking women, in what is a certain sign these are no longer your daddy's image-conscious Giants.

This problem is scary because there seems to be a growing tolerance in professional football for woman beaters, years after the NFL and its teams vowed to clean up its domestic violence problems.

I understand fans don't care. Rocky Bernard could drag Hillary Clinton down the street by her pantsuit and as long as Bernard got 10 sacks Giants fans could give a damn. But teams should know better.

Just some 10 or so years ago teams made pledges to punish woman beaters by not signing them or releasing them from contracts. That seems to be changing.

If the Giants, the NFL's flagship franchise and for a long time one of the true moral leaders in the league, make brazen back-to-back signings of alleged woman beaters, then what does that say about the rest of the league?

The Giants have signed woman beaters before. Every team has. Some time ago the Giants in fact inked notorious woman beater Christian Peter and signed serial woman beater Tito Wooten to a long-term contract.

But previously the Giants gave such signings extreme consideration and thought before taking any action. Now, the Giants are almost cavalier about it. Just recently the team explained it would love to have Plaxico "Gunsmoke" Burress back despite the fact New Jersey police have on at least several occasions been called to his home to investigate domestic disturbances. Burress' wife, according to published reports, has gotten several restraining orders against Burress.

The Giants have always been about class but the team is in serious danger of jeopardizing its status as one of the great franchises in all of sports because of its coddling of woman beaters.

The biggest problem might be the comments by Jerry Reese, the team's general manager, and one of the classier people in the sport. He told the media recently: "It's unfortunate that when you are in pro sports, everything gets over-exaggerated a little bit. We don't condone any kind of domestic violence in any kind of way. Don't get me wrong on that. Michael Boley does all kinds of community service, and you people never talk about that. It's really kind of a shame that people don't say, wow, this guy is a really good guy, he does all this community service. But the negative thing always seems to come up. It's unfortunate, but when you are in a high-profile position, I guess this is what happens."

Wait. Hold on.

No matter how much Reese tries to say he isn't making an excuse for woman beaters, it sure does sound like he is.

Blame the media over you signing a woman beater? That's pretty audaciously snarky.

I don't care if someone delivers toys on Christmas Day to homeless orphans in Iceland while curing cancer and solving the banking crisis. Striking a woman is never acceptable. And none of this was "over-exaggerated." The alleged closed fist beat-down by a 300-pound lineman to the face of a woman wasn't "over-exaggerated." Domestic violence isn't "over-exaggerated." There's no excuse for someone channeling their inner Chris Brown and Larry Johnson.

"It is up to the individual teams to determine the level of commitment they will have to violence issues," Kathy Redmond, the founder of the National Coalition Against Violent Athletes, wrote to me in an e-mail. "Since it is clear that the Giants' general manager condones the behavior, why should we expect any different from the entire Giants organization and its fans who support them?"

When meeting the New York media, Boley described the incident with his wife as an "unfortunate event." A tree falling on your home is an unfortunate event. American Idol is an unfortunate event. Beating up a woman is not an "unfortunate event." It's a serious crime.

Thus, in New York, the beat goes on.

Rocky Bernard could drag Hillary Clinton down the street by her pantsuit and as long as Bernard got 10 sacks Giants fans could give a damn.

I could give a damn! If he did that, I would buy his jersey and pay full price for it, too! Plus I would lobby for the commission of his statue to be erected in front of the new Giants Stadium!

What a crap article, though. Mike Freeman, you sir, are a sad excuse for a journalist. Oakland Raiders East? That was the most laughable part.

While I can agree with some of the points made...the overall tone of the article is shrill and unfair. As a mental health professional I don't expect the general manager of a sports team (nor an athlete) to understand the complete and correct terminology to be used when referring to domestic violence. Might as well ask him about the safety precautions on the space shuttle. For the most part batterers have a history of assault over multiple relationships and generally continue untill exposed and they receive therapy for spousal abuse. One of the mistaken common beliefs is that anger management therapy is what is most needed. That is a myth...battering like rape is about control and power...not anger. But again you are quoting non mental health professionals about a mental health issue. Unfair and if he were an ethical journalist he would admit to that.

I let the guy have it!

This article is clearly written out of hatred toward NY as a whole.

It is clearly deep rooted and has lumped everyone up into a generalization or stereo type.

I told him, he should know better and his job won't be there much longer if he continues to spew such nonsense.

I let the guy have it!

This article is clearly written out of hatred toward NY as a whole.

It is clearly deep rooted and has lumped everyone up into a generalization or stereo type.

I told him, he should know better and his job won't be there much longer if he continues to spew such nonsense.

It would be such a big deal if it was about domestic abuse in the NFL or how the Giants shouldn't sign them. But it's the sarcastic condescension that makes him a douche bag. The article has no point to it.

Odd, no convictions. Odd, no calls for these players to be fired from their respective teams when the events happened.

But the Giants are the bad guys for signing two guys with single bad incidents in their past, both of which have "alleged" slapped in front of the accusations because neither was proven.

OK, that makes sense. :wallbash:

Freeman has made his career trashing the Giants/Giants players.

As bad as CBS Sports.com writers are Freeman is up there with SI.coms Perloff. Meaningless articles that focus on sensationalism with no meaningful content.

What did Rocky Bernard tell his Girlfriend,who had twin black eyes?

Nothing that she didn't hear twice already :lol:

Rocky Bernard could drag Hillary Clinton down the street by her pantsuit and as long as Bernard got 10 sacks Giants fans could give a damn.

I could give a damn! If he did that, I would buy his jersey and pay full price for it, too! Plus I would lobby for the commission of his statue to be erected in front of the new Giants Stadium!

In fact, that would be a good incentive clause to add in. He gets so much for dragging her 2 blocks, so much for 3, etc.

In fact, that would be a good incentive clause to add in. He gets so much for dragging her 2 blocks, so much for 3, etc.

Is Hilary the QB for the Redskins now? :confused:

If they beat them now I'm sure the Giants would have released them outright. And the douche of a reporter who wrote this some how neglected to mention that the teams they were with when these events occurred had no problem with these crimes and kept them on the roster.

I guess its only a problem when the NY Giants sign them and not when they are with their former teams.

His sarcasm is terrible and what's the point to this article? It just bashes the Giants and has no point to it. How do some of these "journalists" keep their jobs?

Black 'n' Big Blue

I agree completely that this article has no point. :chair: However, had the Cowboys signed these two players and this article was written the author would certainly qualify for Pulitzer Prize.

It threads like this that makes the Giants fan base look sorry and simplistic. :tomato:

I agree completely that this article has no point. :chair: However, had the Cowboys signed these two players and this article was written the author would certainly qualify for Pulitzer Prize.

It threads like this that makes the Giants fan base look sorry and simplistic. :tomato:

You must be used to that phrase, since that describes the cowboys now.

Maybe for the "fiction" portion of the event.

Let me be the first one to say that I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH KNOCKING A BITCH OUT COLD...if its deserved. People are way too pc when it comes to this. I dont see anything wrong with beating the shit out of a woman. Call me a pussy, a coward, whatever. I'll beat the shit out of you too. :P

Last I remembered the Giants turned the likes of Christian Peter into a semblance of a balanced human being. And when Wooten continued on his path of de-evolution they sent him packing.

that's why they signed Peter...to help a troubled young man see the error of his ways :rolleyes:

again, the dog thinks that all this shows is that the giants are no different than any other sports franchise - they sign the players they think will help fill a need, regardless of the off the field issues. so be it.

that's why they signed Peter...to help a troubled young man see the error of his ways :rolleyes:

again, the dog thinks that all this shows is that the giants are no different than any other sports franchise - they sign the players they think will help fill a need, regardless of the off the field issues. so be it.

Of course not--they signed him to play football. But does that negate the efforts they made above and beyond the typical employer/employee relationship to rehabilitate his personal life?