SportsWrath

An observation about today's game...

Allstarjim

Without Jacobs, this team ran the ball 27 times for 87 yards. That is INCLUDING an 11 yard end around by Hixon. This is what Jacobs means to our team. If anyone doubts Jacobs' value, you just need to look at today. Ward ran for 3.5 ypg on 20 totes, and Bradshaw managed only 9 yards on 4 carries. It's clear to me that Jacobs softens defenses significantly, and Ward and Bradshaw benefits. I am extremely glad that the Giants will do whatever it takes to keep B-Jac on the roster next year, including franchising him.

We won today because the line gave Eli time to kill the Cards secondary, and Eli executed masterfully. We did not win by running the ball down their throats. Now, Arizona is 7th in the NFL in stopping the run, but Baltimore was #1 when we played them (3rd now), and look what we did to them! We don't give B-Jac enough props around here! :worshippy:

We need you next week, B-Jac!

We're pretty well rounded. I mean, if it isn't painfully obvious that the Gmen are going to run the ball....alot....by now, then opposing D's deserve what they get. The Arizona D was prepped and ready to play, Jacobs or not. I'll give you that the run game didn't look the same, but I'm not entirely convinced it was because Jacobs was out as opposed to 'Zona being prepared (and executing well). However, it sure is nice to know that if the run game falters, the passing game can be almost as deadly. All I know is, it's damn good to be a Giants fan right now.

We're pretty well rounded. I mean, if it isn't painfully obvious that the Gmen are going to run the ball....alot....by now, then opposing D's deserve what they get. The Arizona D was prepped and ready to play, Jacobs or not. I'll give you that the run game didn't look the same, but I'm not entirely convinced it was because Jacobs was out as opposed to 'Zona being prepared (and executing well). However, it sure is nice to know that if the run game falters, the passing game can be almost as deadly. All I know is, it's damn good to be a Giants fan right now.

It sure is :TU:

I don't know Rik. Everybody has known we are a run-oriented team anyways, and we've been running for 200 yards on just about everyone, including that Baltimore run defense that was described only in superlatives (until we got done with them). It's not like teams just started game planning to stop the run against us today.

We ran for just about a full 100 yards less than our average today. I think it's because Jacobs really does take a psychological and physiological toll on the defense. They get pumped to stop him, can't stop him, and they lose their edge, so to speak. After 2 or 3 quarters of him pounding them into physical and mental submission, Ward and Bradshaw just clean up on those 11 beaten down defenders. I know it's only one game, but I really think that this game is evidence that he really does make that much of a difference. Regardless, it's great that Eli has so much confidence and control of the offense that he can do what he did today.

On to Washington! I know Laron Landry is hoping that Jacobs gets another week of rest, :lol:!

I don't know if you are right or wrong; I do know that with those rushing yards we still scored over 30 points and got the win. Getting more rushing yards might have kept the Cards offense off of the field, but the bottom line is we beat them at their own game.

Besides, with Jacobs looking probable up until game time, we don't know how prepared Gilbride was for him being out. I'd like to think he was prepared, but I've seen to much to put my complete faith in that.

I think the Cards special teams let them down.

IMO.

Otherwise, I like the way they mixed it up without Jacobs in. Boss and Hedgecock...Toomer and Smith...all catching some beautiful passing by Eli. :clap:

I think our special teams were pretty poor as well. We didn't exactly stop them.

Terrell Thomas has been excellent on special teams, not just yesterday but since he made the team, Bradshaw also. But if a team can get those 2 stopped then we are in trouble.

By the way, how much does it suck to be that kid who got 3 special teams penalties for the cards yesterday, ouch!!

I think our special teams were pretty poor as well. We didn't exactly stop them.

Well... we didn't miss a FG or extra point, and Hixon had what.... 180 return yards?

We weren't that bad. In fact, I'd say we were downright good.

Without Jacobs, this team ran the ball 27 times for 87 yards. That is INCLUDING an 11 yard end around by Hixon. This is what Jacobs means to our team. If anyone doubts Jacobs' value, you just need to look at today. Ward ran for 3.5 ypg on 20 totes, and Bradshaw managed only 9 yards on 4 carries. It's clear to me that Jacobs softens defenses significantly, and Ward and Bradshaw benefits. I am extremely glad that the Giants will do whatever it takes to keep B-Jac on the roster next year, including franchising him.

We won today because the line gave Eli time to kill the Cards secondary, and Eli executed masterfully. We did not win by running the ball down their throats. Now, Arizona is 7th in the NFL in stopping the run, but Baltimore was #1 when we played them (3rd now), and look what we did to them! We don't give B-Jac enough props around here! :worshippy:

We need you next week, B-Jac!

actually what happened is the Cards were putting 9 in the box...yes 9, and were saying if the Giants were gonna win, Eli had to do it. I was listening to Carl banks this morning and that is what he observed. The Cards did not want to get beat by the run game. Carl also went onto to say this is how good the Giants are....he believes they went 9 in with tight coverage because Plax went out and they didn't feel our receiving game would be a threat.

actually what happened is the Cards were putting 9 in the box...yes 9, and were saying if the Giants were gonna win, Eli had to do it. I was listening to Carl banks this morning and that is what he observed. The Cards did not want to get beat by the run game. Carl also went onto to say this is how good the Giants are....he believes they went 9 in with tight coverage because Plax went out and they didn't feel our receiving game would be a threat.

All throughout the game the FS would start out in standard coverage....and as the snap count continued you could see him walking up to the line on suspected run plays. Half the time he was out of position to really help with covering the tight end or the fullback.