SportsWrath

Giant

Lughead

I know what your saying about Huston, I actually thought he should of won the job last year but he missed an extra point in preseason. I haven't seen the replay of it so I don't know if it was a bad hold or something but you can't miss an extra point in the last preseason game when your trying to win a roster spot. I would much rather trust a proven vet in Carney.

DOn't get me wrong. I'd rather Carney also. Huston needed to be great with Tynes out and simply wasn't. But I wouldn't string him out. Bring Carney in earlier, let Huston go and perhaps he gets a chance with another team.

I've always been a Carney fan, he's a good solid kicker.

We get to keep 8 guys on the practice squad right?

There'll be a whole lot of people available today - some might be upgrades - and I suspect they are hoping London clears waivers so they can put him on the PS. I also hope they can keep Ogemdi Nwagbuo, Wallace Gilberry, Andrew Bain, and Tank Daniels.

Does anyone know how long a cut player is on waivers before the Giants can reclaim him for the PS?

I'd be surprised to see Tank Daniels end up on the practice squad, I think someone will pick him up.

Tynes is in the PUP list right? So we're at 53 active roster.

I belive so but when he comes back then we will let Carney go....unless Carney is an upgrade to Tynes . we will see how this goes in the next few weeks.

New York Giants practice squad (minus one)

by Mike Garafolo / The Star-Ledger

Sunday August 31, 2008, 1:05 PM

The Giants are on the field, preparing for Thursday's opener against the Redskins. With them are seven of a possible eight members of the practice squad:

*QB Andre' Woodson

*CB Geoffrey Pope

*OL Na'Shan Goddard

*OL Kurt Quarterman

*DT Jeremy Clark

*WR Marcus Monk

*DE Wallace Gilberry

Also, CB Terrell Thomas is wearing No. 24 after FB Robert Douglas was waived. The last CB to wear that was Will (Peterson) James.

The eight player was supposed to be WR Brandon London, who's now a Dolphin.

MG

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/08...tice_squad.html

why? :confused:

Because we have too many RBs and he is far too injury prone. Hell you just know him and Jacobs are going to miss games this year.

New York Giants practice squad (minus one)

by Mike Garafolo / The Star-Ledger

Sunday August 31, 2008, 1:05 PM

The Giants are on the field, preparing for Thursday's opener against the Redskins. With them are seven of a possible eight members of the practice squad:

*QB Andre' Woodson

*CB Geoffrey Pope

*OL Na'Shan Goddard

*OL Kurt Quarterman

*DT Jeremy Clark

*WR Marcus Monk

*DE Wallace Gilberry

Also, CB Terrell Thomas is wearing No. 24 after FB Robert Douglas was waived. The last CB to wear that was Will (Peterson) James.

The eight player was supposed to be WR Brandon London, who's now a Dolphin.

MG

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/08...tice_squad.html

Hoping London would stick around but not surprising.

Craig Dahl suffered a torn acl in the Jets game and I believe was put on injured reserve. I also liked DJ Hall but with Burress, Toomer, Smith, Hixon, Manningham, Moss, and Tyree likely coming back after his PUP time is over, there is simply no spot on this roster. Same goes for Craphonso Thorpe, who I like even more than Hall. Both of these guys will likely land elsewhere.

Dahl came back to damn soon from his first ACL...now he has two bad knees.

C. Wagon.

ive seen moss drop one pass all preseason, everything else thrown at him hes caught.

every camp report ive read spoke highly of him.

he wont be cut.

Hey, the way I see it this year is do or die for him.. he either pays dividends or go home... pre-season stats can be very misleading.

I'm glad to see Droughans is still here. I think I'm in the minority about having him, but I love his effort, he plays well on special teams and is still a decent running back. Considering ward and Jacobs are injury prone, he's a good guy to have back there.

Plus I saw his jersey for sale soemwhere, so it's still worth buying. :)

Hey, the way I see it this year is do or die for him.. he either pays dividends or go home... pre-season stats can be very misleading.

well preseason is all we saw on brandon london as well. and moss was better in the preseason. although i agree this being do or die for him but he will probably only be situational anyway with smith being the definite number 3 guy.

I'm glad to see Droughans is still here. I think I'm in the minority about having him, but I love his effort, he plays well on special teams and is still a decent running back. Considering ward and Jacobs are injury prone, he's a good guy to have back there.

Plus I saw his jersey for sale soemwhere, so it's still worth buying. :)

Booh, totally agree about Droughns. He doesn't get enough credit for his versatility on this team. I think Ware has way more upside as a running back, but Droughns can return kicks, is a good short yardage/goalline back, is a very good special teamer, and can play fullback. There are not a lot of players in the NFL with his versatility, and he really does get overlooked concerning is value and the dirty work he does. I'm glad that Coughlin decided to carry 5 RB's so that we kept both Droughns AND Ware, because they both have earned their spots on the team. Overall, I was very happy with the cuts.

Yahoo is also reporting that Craig Dahl and D.J Hall were cut. I wanted to see those 2 get a shot.

eh i dunno, it's all about getting rid of dead wood...there's way too many good WRs and Safeties for those two to ever be put on the field.

eh i dunno, it's all about getting rid of dead wood...there's way too many good WRs and Safeties for those two to ever be put on the field.

Good point, its just I'd rather see Dahl out there than Butler and Hall was turning heads at first. But as it panned out, I like the cuts and our final roster. We have 5, count em FIVE, sick RB's. ;)

We're cursed with Moss again? Jesus this guys is gunna be like 12 catches for 180 yards this year. He's such a joke. Get rid of him!!!!!!

I'll take 12 receptions for 180 yards from our FIFTH string Wide Receiver any season.

Moss is one lucky dude, that's all I can say.

The only thing that bothers me is having the same amount of kickers as qb's. Here's my question?. We knew Tynes would be out, yet we brought in Huston and had him through Camp. Now all of a sudden he's not good enough and the Giants go out on Thursday and ask Carney, who's been doing nothing, to come in cold and play next week. why not give carney some time in camp?. Instead we've given Huston hope he'll make the roster 2 years in a row only to pull the rug out from under him. Look, I don't think he's that great, but it's kinda fucked up.

Other than that, I'm real happy with the final 53, the depth all over is so much better.

Fortunately for us, if you can't make extra points as the NYG starting kicker, you don't get to remain the NYG starting kicker.

Good point, its just I'd rather see Dahl out there than Butler and Hall was turning heads at first. But as it panned out, I like the cuts and our final roster. We have 5, count em FIVE, sick RB's. ;)

Yah, Butler is garbage...I hope to see my boy Kenny Phillips out there come week 2 or 3.

Then why is Tynes our kicker?

Because the coaches put Jay Feely in a couple impossible situations against the Seahawks a while back.... :ph34r:

btw, Feely, I believe, has a better career field goal percentage than John Carney :ph34r:

Because the coaches put Jay Feely in a couple impossible situations against the Seahawks a while back.... :ph34r:

btw, Feely, I believe, has a better career field goal percentage than John Carney :ph34r:

I would actually take Feely over all of the ones mentioned if he wasnt such a clubhouse cancer. At least thats what I hear.

Fortunately for us, if you can't make extra points as the NYG starting kicker, you don't get to remain the NYG starting kicker.

You realize that I'm saying I got no issue with Carney being the starting kicker right?

By the way, about Feely, he signed a contract with Kansas City and one day later they cut him. Coughlin don't like the guy.