SportsWrath

Giant

Lughead

WR Jennings cut

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

The Giants New York Giants t.gif must trim their roster to 75 by 4 p.m. and they are already close to that limit. They cut three players on Monday and today receiver Michael Jeninngs was not on the practice field.

Jennings had an excellent shot to make the club last year before falling to a season-ending knee injury. He tried to come back this season but was not impressive in training camp, while youg receivers such as Domenik Hixon Domenik Hixon t.gif and Sinorice Moss Sinorice Moss t.gif picked up the pace. The Giants also drafted Mario Manningham, leaving no place for Jennings.

With the move of Mathias Kiwankua from strong side linebacker to defensive end, there was a need for another linebacker, with the final preseason game coming on Thursday against the Patriots. The Giants signed James Terry, a linebacker from Youngstown, to fill a need.

Following Osi Umenyiora's season-ending surgery this morning to repair a torn lateral meniscus in his left knee, he is expected to be put on Injured Reserve.

Craig Dahl suffered a torn acl in the Jets game and I believe was put on injured reserve. I also liked DJ Hall but with Burress, Toomer, Smith, Hixon, Manningham, Moss, and Tyree likely coming back after his PUP time is over, there is simply no spot on this roster. Same goes for Craphonso Thorpe, who I like even more than Hall. Both of these guys will likely land elsewhere.

Hey you get nothing but respect for Jennings from me. He's a kid from the neighborhood who was a feel good story and made it to the bigtime despite all the odds being stacked against him. He prob. lived his dream already and not many of us can say that. Thanks for your entertainment and enjoy your superbowl ring Jennings. My favorite picture of the parade was you flashing your huge chain and smiling ear to ear with those golden teeth of yours.

Hey you get nothing but respect for Jennings from me. He's a kid from the neighborhood who was a feel good story and made it to the bigtime despite all the odds being stacked against him. He prob. lived his dream already and not many of us can say that. Thanks for your entertainment and enjoy your superbowl ring Jennings. My favorite picture of the parade was you flashing your huge chain and smiling ear to ear with those golden teeth of yours.

good tribute- if he came with a higher price tag like moss, he'd have been given more looks. maybe he'll catch on somewhere else.

Craig Dahl suffered a torn acl in the Jets game and I believe was put on injured reserve. I also liked DJ Hall but with Burress, Toomer, Smith, Hixon, Manningham, Moss, and Tyree likely coming back after his PUP time is over, there is simply no spot on this roster. Same goes for Craphonso Thorpe, who I like even more than Hall. Both of these guys will likely land elsewhere.
I can't understand why Big Blue is keeping S. Loss. He tries to avoid contact with the opposition and plays like a girl. He has hands of stone and is being paid a large amount of money for doing nothing to help the Giants offense. In his entire time with the team he has done absolutely nothing to help the team win. It's time to admit that a mistake was made when he was drafted.

I can't understand why Big Blue is keeping S. Loss. He tries to avoid contact with the opposition and plays like a girl. He has hands of stone and is being paid a large amount of money for doing nothing to help the Giants offense. In his entire time with the team he has done absolutely nothing to help the team win. It's time to admit that a mistake was made when he was drafted.

ive seen moss drop one pass all preseason, everything else thrown at him hes caught.

every camp report ive read spoke highly of him.

he wont be cut.

Hey, all I know is Dahl aint gonna be there, why ya bustin my balls?? :P

oops I didnt mean to quote you It was soposed to be a new reply SORRY :rolleyes:

the we knows means that..... well you know.......LOL it was already reported that's why when I did a C&P I put in the (we know) maybe I'll change it to AR (Already Reported)

oops I didnt mean to quote you It was soposed to be a new reply SORRY :rolleyes:

the we knows means that..... well you know.......LOL it was already reported that's why when I did a C&P I put in the (we know) maybe I'll change it to AR (Already Reported)

Got it.....I think. :unsure:

Tomorrow night @ 6 (if not before) we will know who will go. Here is a read with a few twist as to who may go .

Which 22 will be cut from Giants roster?

Friday, August 29, 2008 BY VINNY DITRANI Staff Writer

The preseason is over, the regular season lies ahead. But before Giants coach Tom Coughlin can think about the Redskins and defending his Super Bowl title, he must consider which 22 players to remove from his roster by 6 o'clock Saturday to adhere to the 53-man regular-season limit.

"In certain positions it's difficult, very difficult," Coughlin said today. "It's a process, it isn't something that you wait until the final hour. It's ongoing.

"It's always a time of a certain amount of anxiety, because you can't get away from the fact the mixture is really critical. You have to be aware how these individuals are going to fit together and play roles on special teams."

Some of the more interesting roster areas include running back, where young Danny Ware and veteran Reuben Droughns are vying for one spot.

With Brandon Jacobs heading into his contract year, the Giants may decide to keep the 234-pound Ware as a potential big back and kickoff returner over Droughns, who also is valuable on special teams.

Sinorice Moss and Brandon London are in contention for the sixth wide receiver spot, with Moss a potential candidate for a trade for either defensive line depth or a draft pick. The brash London has made a strong impression, but if he clears waivers could find a home on the practice squad for a second straight year.

"That would be disappointing, because I've worked so hard," said the free agent from UMass, who said he came into camp looking to take Plaxico Burress' job. "I didn't want to be a practice squad guy, I didn't want to be a special teams guy. I wanted to beat Plax out.

"It may sound silly but like my mom says, 'Reach for the stars. If you don't make it, you land up on the moon.' That's what I tried to do."

Thursday night's game provided a couple of clues on the possible final roster makeup. When Coughlin scratched right tackle Kareem McKenzie, he moved guard Kevin Boothe out to the position.

"He really has played the best of that second group [of linemen]," Coughlin said of Boothe. "We've always considered him the first guy in if we had anything to contend with. We stuck him in there at tackle, where he has practiced a little bit, just to make sure he understood he has to know guard and tackle."

That may not bode well for second-year tackle Adam Koets, who had been McKenzie's backup. But injuries to guard Na'Shan Goddard (concussion) and tackle Guy Whimper (turf toe) also could affect the offensive line situation.

When rookie free safety Kenny Phillips entered with the second defense, Sammy Knight did not accompany him at strong safety. Instead starting free safety Michel Johnson moved over to the strong side.

The Giants have three veteran defensive backs, Knight, Sam Madison and R.W. McQuarters, to handle backup roles. It may not be fiscally smart to keep all three, but Coughlin could hope to get by with three safeties to keep a sixth cornerback, leaving Knight on the outside.

While David Carr solidified his backup quarterback spot in Thursday night's 19-14 win over the Patriots, rookie Andre Woodson may have played his way off the roster. The sixth-round draft pick fumbled a snap from center and bobbled a shotgun snap in his three plays, forcing Coughlin to return Carr to the game.

"We'll have to see about that," Coughlin said of Woodson's status, which appeared to be cemented as the No. 3 quarterback until the Thursday debacle.

Coughlin also has a quandary when it comes to his placekicker because Lawrence Tynes still is nursing a sore knee and his preseason replacement, Josh Huston, failed to impress.

Does he look to Jay Feely, Dave Rayner or some other veteran kicker who shakes free in these final cuts?

"We have to make decisions, first of all on what is the condition of Lawrence Tynes?" Coughlin said. "It's from that decision, the decision from the medical people, that we have to make the right decision for our team. We'll have to see where that goes."

Coughlin did praise both tight end Darcy Johnson and rookie wide receiver Mario Manningham for their play against the Patriots.

The preseason is over, the regular season lies ahead. But before Giants coach Tom Coughlin can think about the Redskins and defending his Super Bowl title, he must consider which 22 players to remove from his roster by 6 o'clock Saturday to adhere to the 53-man regular-season limit.

"In certain positions it's difficult, very difficult," Coughlin said today. "It's a process, it isn't something that you wait until the final hour. It's ongoing.

"It's always a time of a certain amount of anxiety, because you can't get away from the fact the mixture is really critical. You have to be aware how these individuals are going to fit together and play roles on special teams."

Some of the more interesting roster areas include running back, where young Danny Ware and veteran Reuben Droughns are vying for one spot.

With Brandon Jacobs heading into his contract year, the Giants may decide to keep the 234-pound Ware as a potential big back and kickoff returner over Droughns, who also is valuable on special teams.

Sinorice Moss and Brandon London are in contention for the sixth wide receiver spot, with Moss a potential candidate for a trade for either defensive line depth or a draft pick. The brash London has made a strong impression, but if he clears waivers could find a home on the practice squad for a second straight year.

"That would be disappointing, because I've worked so hard," said the free agent from UMass, who said he came into camp looking to take Plaxico Burress' job. "I didn't want to be a practice squad guy, I didn't want to be a special teams guy. I wanted to beat Plax out.

"It may sound silly but like my mom says, 'Reach for the stars. If you don't make it, you land up on the moon.' That's what I tried to do."

Thursday night's game provided a couple of clues on the possible final roster makeup. When Coughlin scratched right tackle Kareem McKenzie, he moved guard Kevin Boothe out to the position.

"He really has played the best of that second group [of linemen]," Coughlin said of Boothe. "We've always considered him the first guy in if we had anything to contend with. We stuck him in there at tackle, where he has practiced a little bit, just to make sure he understood he has to know guard and tackle."

That may not bode well for second-year tackle Adam Koets, who had been McKenzie's backup. But injuries to guard Na'Shan Goddard (concussion) and tackle Guy Whimper (turf toe) also could affect the offensive line situation.

When rookie free safety Kenny Phillips entered with the second defense, Sammy Knight did not accompany him at strong safety. Instead starting free safety Michel Johnson moved over to the strong side.

The Giants have three veteran defensive backs, Knight, Sam Madison and R.W. McQuarters, to handle backup roles. It may not be fiscally smart to keep all three, but Coughlin could hope to get by with three safeties to keep a sixth cornerback, leaving Knight on the outside.

While David Carr solidified his backup quarterback spot in Thursday night's 19-14 win over the Patriots, rookie Andre Woodson may have played his way off the roster. The sixth-round draft pick fumbled a snap from center and bobbled a shotgun snap in his three plays, forcing Coughlin to return Carr to the game.

"We'll have to see about that," Coughlin said of Woodson's status, which appeared to be cemented as the No. 3 quarterback until the Thursday debacle.

Coughlin also has a quandary when it comes to his placekicker because Lawrence Tynes still is nursing a sore knee and his preseason replacement, Josh Huston, failed to impress.

Does he look to Jay Feely, Dave Rayner or some other veteran kicker who shakes free in these final cuts?

"We have to make decisions, first of all on what is the condition of Lawrence Tynes?" Coughlin said. "It's from that decision, the decision from the medical people, that we have to make the right decision for our team. We'll have to see where that goes."

Coughlin did praise both tight end Darcy Johnson and rookie wide receiver Mario Manningham for their play against the Patriots.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/08...mcquarters.html

I figured at least one of these two CBs would make it, but NFL.com is reporting both R.W. McQuarters and Sam Madison have made the Giants' roster.

The report also says WR Sinorice Moss is officially in, which makes sense after the release of Brandon London, and that the team has cut two of its QBs: Anthony Wright and Andre Woodson. That leaves only Eli Manning and David Carr on the roster. That could be the place where they got the extra roster spot.

Still waiting on the RBs. That's the last interesting one left.

By my calculations, twelve cuts left.

MG

The Giants have cut K Josh Huston, who missed an extra point the other night and two FGs in the previous two games.

The rumblings I'm hearing indicate the team is sniffing around 44-year-old K John Carney (formerly of the Chiefs, Jags, Saints, Chargers, LOS ANGELES Rams and Bucs) to fill the void while Lawrence Tynes (knee) is out of action. Haven't confirmed that just yet and actually not sure if they'd sign him today or wait until later in the week. I'll keep you posted as more develops on this one.

2:58 p.m. UPDATE Carney's agent, Tom Mills, has confirmed the team will sign the 18-year veteran. Congratulations, Jeff Feagles. You're no longer the oldest guy on the roster.

3:09 p.m. UPDATE If you're wondering where this Carney stuff came from, Mills said he worked out for the team today.

Also, I think I have most of the cuts. Will post them shortly.

3:02 p.m. UPDATE What the heck, here are what I believe to be 22 cuts (with one player to be added in Carney, which means one more person could be getting cut here):

*QB Anthony Wright

*QB Andre' Woodson

*FB Robert Douglas

*WR Marcus Monk

*WR Brandon London

*TE Eric Butler

*TE Jerome Collins

*OL Kurt Quarterman

*OL Na'Shan Goddard

*OL Andrew Bain

*OL Digger Bujnoch

*DE Wallace Gilberry

*DE Alex Morrow

*DT Jeremy Clark

*DT Ogemdi Nwagbuo

*LB Tank Daniels

*LB James Terry

*CB Geoffrey Pope

*S Stuart Schweigert

*OL Cliff Louis

*CB Darren Barnett

So far, the roster looks like this:

QB (2): Eli Manning, David Carr

RB (6): Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Derrick Ward, Danny Ware, Reuben Droughns, Madison Hedgecock

WR (6): Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer, Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, Domenik Hixon, Sinorice Moss

TE (3): Kevin Boss, Michael Matthews, Darcy Johnson

OL (9): David Diehl, Rich Seubert, Shaun O'Hara, Chris Snee, Kareem McKenzie, Guy Whimper, Adam Koets, Kevin Boothe, Grey Ruegamer

DE (4): Justin Tuck, Mathias Kiwanuka, Dave Tollefson, Renaldo Wynn

DT (4): Fred Robbins, Barry Cofield, Jay Alford, Rodney Leisle

LB (7): Antonio Pierce, Danny Clark, Gerris Wilkinson, Chase Blackburn, Bryan Kehl, Zak DeOssie, Jonathan Goff

CB (6): Aaron Ross, Corey Webster, Kevin Dockery, R.W. McQuarters, Sam Madison, Terrell Thomas

S (4): James Butler, Michael Johnson, Kenny Phillips, Sammy Knight

K (2): Lawrence Tynes, John Carney

P (1): Jeff Feagles

Count 'em up: That's 54. Somebody's still not safe.

MG

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/08...k_huston_c.html

Carney can't be any worse than Huston