SportsWrath

Plax is holding out

RandolphScott

Then don't sign a long term contract. Why is it always about money? If he wants more money, go get endorsement deals. Do you think Tom Brady or Peyton Manning are the top paid quarterbacks in the league? No, and you don't hear them bitching. The majority of the money they make is off endorsement deals.

Peyton Manning is making triple digits.

Brady is the ultimate team guy, and is very much commended for his selflessness. But he is the oddball in this generation.

Job security is so thin in the NFL that these players have a right to get the money while they can.

I am just concerned at this point because all eyes are on the Giants FO and see what they do. If they cave in, players will be filing in line asking for money. If they don't, it may get ugly.

Very fragile business.

I just lost all my respect for the guy. You were great last year but there's three fucking years left on the contract. Live up to your word like a fucking man or stay the fuck home. The day a player gives money back to the team for underperforming is the day he can pull this type of shit when he's being 'underpaid'.

To be fair, the honoring of a contract works both ways. Teams have no reservations about cutting players for underperforming their contracts, so when a player outperforms his contract -- which is very clearly the case here -- it's only fair to reasonably expect the team to make a concession.

Additionally, while Burress has three years left on his contract, he signed his deal one year before the spike in player salaries. After the renegotiation of the CBA, his current contract was essentially rendered obsolete. It was structured for a market that no longer exists, and the new market has rewarded lesser players at Plax's position. After playing through injuries and delivering a Super Bowl, Plax deserves to be a beneficiary as well.

Burress risked his entire career by playing and playing very hurt all year and came up big. Most thought he would not even play the SB as of gameday. Lets say he got badly hurt and the Giants did not win. Think they have any problem cutting him and recouping he 10 mil he is owed?

In most cases I agree, you sign you honor, but in this case no player has deserved a new deal more than Plax.

Yeah and what about Jake Plummer? Had great numbers but his team drafted his replacement. Hell, Gibril had great numbers and we let him go and drafted someone cheaper. There is an opinion that is shared by fans that players take a break after they sign a contract. If you are a player you want to be the best there ever was. This is a sport of competition, and you are competing against everyone in the league not just against who you play next week. Players have to ask for money up front or they get the short end of the stick. The organization still makes their money, players get to lineup in free agency and hope they get taken before the draft or else they're out. Being a player at the professional level is so much harder than what anyone has to do day to day. Try living under that spotlight and living up to everyone elses expectations of what you should be.

Well there is the problem but players tend to be worse than the teams. Most the times teams only cut you based on injuries, bad behaviour or really bad performance. Even then they usually have to do a buyout to finish your contract or give some kind of compensation. Players on the other had demand money for one good year, dog it for 3 and then have another good year and demand more. Really teams have the raw deal because they have to pay all the money up front and hope that things work out and it's getting worse with all these guaranteed money contracts.

With the contracts that Owens/Moss/Fitzgerald have gotten this off season, it's really not a surprise that Plax would choose now to hold out. Dallas upgraded Owens contract pretty much in good faith, and even though Larry Fitzgerald has won nothing in Arizona (he is a good player), he's getting 10 million which will probably mean Anquan Boldin will leave.

Plus after a season where we were all but ready to run Plax out of town, especially after his no effort in Tennessee (I said last year that he'd be released this season), the guy goes out on a bum leg and plays pro bowl level wideout and in turn turns Al Harris into his bitch in possibly his best performance ever. He then catches the ball that wins the superbowl. If ever the ball was in his court it's now. He didn't play good because he was in a walk year, he showed up for camp on time, he didn't wave his arms thus making Eli a bad quarterback :P . So if he ever deserved a bump, it's now. I got no issue with it.

However, right now as a Giant fan, I'm very concerned about the Snee situation, because that could be a lot worse. Hopefully something quiet has been worked out a la Diehl, but if it hasn't the way the money is being thrown around, he could get left wanting. The minute Snee comes available, somebody will overpay for him and he could leave regardless of who his father in law is. And that my friends, is going to be bad news for us.

Baseball salaries compared to Football salaries is immense. In baseball, your contract is guaranteed whether you play a single game or not. If A-Rod goes down with a career ending injury....he's still going to get paid 250 million dollars over the next 10 years. In football, nothing is guaranteed beyond the signing bonus and a small amount (a buyout clause in the contract) that is "guaranteed".

Plus, baseball players tend to play for twice as many years as a football player. Therefore, a decent football player has a small window of opportunity to maximize his earnings. Since Plax is making less than half what other WR's are making (like T.O., Moss, etc.), he has to make a move when he can. It's strictly business. If the Giants won't pay him what he's worth (and every analyst going says that Plax is way underpaid), Plax can walk and some other team will pay him the money.

Plax is an elite player getting paid like a mediocre reciever.....and of course he knows it. He also knows that he has 4 or 5 good years left in him and then it's going to be all over for him. He is NOT being greedy, he is doing the only smart thing a player of his caliber can do. Teams hope that some players are not smart enough to notice they are being underpaid and will suck it up, but some players just can't do that. It's strictly business and it goes on with every team in the NFL.

Plax has been loyal to the Giants. He's set personal career records as a Giant. He's played hurt while jeopardizing his football career. The Giants are a FAR better team with him on the field then when he isn't playing.

PAY HIM!

Yeah and what about Jake Plummer? Had great numbers but his team drafted his replacement. Hell, Gibril had great numbers and we let him go and drafted someone cheaper. There is an opinion that is shared by fans that players take a break after they sign a contract. If you are a player you want to be the best there ever was. This is a sport of competition, and you are competing against everyone in the league not just against who you play next week. Players have to ask for money up front or they get the short end of the stick. The organization still makes their money, players get to lineup in free agency and hope they get taken before the draft or else they're out. Being a player at the professional level is so much harder than what anyone has to do day to day. Try living under that spotlight and living up to everyone elses expectations of what you should be.

I do think Plax should get paid more money but as Tree pointed out the team is the one taking the majority of the risk. When a player plays well he wants more money but if he plays poorly he doesn't give any of it back. I don't blame the players for trying though because they are all one play away from a career ending injury.

Gibril isn't really all that great an example. Things seem to have worked out all right for him. :)

Plax deserves a raise, and from what I've read, they are in negotiations--so this is a little silly on Plax's part. But considering all the risk he put himself through last year, I can't find it in me to hold a grudge. One of the few times I couldn't blame a player for holding out; and even still, he is on site, and I assume going through the classroom duties.

That's working with the team even while protecting his own interests. I can respect that.

It's harder to fight Burress on this now, perhaps the Giants should have renogiated last year, but hindsight is a bitch. This time last year I was saying he'd be cut before this season to save money.

One can make the argument that he only played lights out when there was fire lit under his ass... when he wanted to improve his contract prospects. Let's face it; Plax didn't play to his potential for a very long time...

What was there for the Giants to show him the money? Funny how some people don't have the drive to be the best they can be.. and the money will come either way.

Treehugger, how can you hold a player to honor his contract when the team he signs a contract with are equally not obligated to honor it as well?

Yes they are, they need to pay him or let him go; that's the contract.

Meanwhile everyone has forgotten that the Giants took a considerable risk when they signed a player with character concerns. It worked out well for them, no doubt, but there was a reason Plax didn't get top dollar. So far he's been great character-wise but he's only lived up to his on-field potential for one of those contract years so far.

Meanwhile everyone has forgotten that the Giants took a considerable risk when they signed a player with character concerns. It worked out well for them, no doubt, but there was a reason Plax didn't get top dollar. So far he's been great character-wise but he's only lived up to his on-field potential for one of those contract years so far.

That's not forgotten, not by me, I mentioned that before we signed him. But he's entitled to look around and see guys who's behaviour has been more than questionable in Owens and Moss, yet get nice contracts, and see a guy like Fitzgerald get big money and he's won nothing yet.

Forget other teams though, the Giants this off season have worked out long term deals with Tuck (okay during season), Diehl, Seubert, even Tynes and made it clear they were willing to bump Strahan if he stayed. So he sees this going on around and goes "what about me?".

When you mention character concerns, remember that Plaxico doesn't beat his wife, doesn't use drugs, and has not been in any legal trouble. So what were those character issues again? He's proven the character issues around him when he was a free agent were unfounded.

I'll argue that Burress has lived up to his contract every year he's been with the Giants. If someone can point out one year that another receiver on the team had more yards, catches and touchdowns than Burress, please let me know.

Plaxico got the short end of the stick when we signed him in 2005 and now he deserves to see some cash.

I'll argue that Burress has lived up to his contract every year he's been with the Giants. If someone can point out one year that another receiver on the team had more yards, catches and touchdowns than Burress, please let me know.

He's already on team's best salary for the position, isn't he? He's asking for LEAGUE'S best, which he's never been. How many years has he been in the top 5-10 receivers in the league?

As for his previous contract signing he never got "the short end of the stick" he took the best offer on the table at the time. He had character concerns hovering over his head and he wasn't a proven #1 WR. Like I said it's worked out well so far but it was not a risk-free manouver by the Giants.

I have no problem with the Giants giving him a new contract but I have a huge issue with this kind of bullshit behaviour. He is where he is because the Giants took a shot on him, show a little fucking loyalty.

He's already on team's best salary for the position, isn't he? He's asking for LEAGUE'S best, which he's never been. How many years has he been in the top 5-10 receivers in the league?

As for his previous contract signing he never got "the short end of the stick" he took the best offer on the table at the time. He had character concerns hovering over his head and he wasn't a proven #1 WR. Like I said it's worked out well so far but it was not a risk-free manouver by the Giants.

I have no problem with the Giants giving him a new contract but I have a huge issue with this kind of bullshit behaviour. He is where he is because the Giants took a shot on him, show a little fucking loyalty.

If I remember correctly didn't he go to a few teams and Giants gave him a contract but he tried other teams first so the Giants gave him a lower contract when he returned. Plax is good but not league best. He still has issues of dogging it while on the field and for all the SB talk he only had 2 receptions. Hell without the SB we'd all still be calling him Relaxico. I say give him more but definitely not Owens/Moss/Fitzgerald numbers.

However, right now as a Giant fan, I'm very concerned about the Snee situation, because that could be a lot worse. Hopefully something quiet has been worked out a la Diehl, but if it hasn't the way the money is being thrown around, he could get left wanting. The minute Snee comes available, somebody will overpay for him and he could leave regardless of who his father in law is. And that my friends, is going to be bad news for us.

Watch where we run Jacobs on literally 80% of our third-and-shorts. The man's a beast and needs to be taken care of NOW.

We need to lock up Snee and Plax first, then see what we can do about Jacobs... who though I love him and have a Jacobs jersey, is somewhat expendable with the other RBs we have on the roster.

June 12, 2008

O'Hara to Plax: 'You're either with us or against us'

Shaun O’Hara had a message today for a few of his unhappy teammates as the Giants move forward in their quest to defend their Super Bowl title:

“You’re either with us or against us.”

And while he didn’t mention Plaxico Burress by name, it seemed clear that those words were meant for the receiver’s ears.

The veteran center became the first person to speak out against Burress’ “business decision” to not practice during this three-day mini-camp. He didn’t attack Burress directly, but when he was questioned on the subject he made it perfectly clear that he feels what Burress is doing is wrong.

“I think there’s a right way to do things,” O’Hara said. “I’ve always felt that as a player, you go out there, you put your best foot forward and as long as you’re giving 100% effort every time, you’ll be taken care of.”

Burress obviously doesn’t see things the same way, since he’s sitting out despite still having three years left on his contract until he gets a new deal. O’Hara said that all the attention Burress is getting for this power play “is a disservice to all the other guys that are out there working hard and practicing and doing their jobs.”

Those players, he said, are strong enough to handle a few distractions, though he obviously wishes they didn’t have to do it. The Giants went a long way last year thinking “team first.” That’s the way O’Hara wants it to be again.

“I think we proved it last year that the team-first concept overcomes everything,” he said. “Whether players like it or not, the team is going to move forward. You’re either with us or against us. I think the players are doing a good job of focusing on their daily tasks and their jobs. As long as we all continue to do that, this team will succeed.”

:clap:

How is he not showing loyalty? He's not asking for a trade, he's asking to renegotiate his contract. Mushin Mohammed got a $30 million contract and he got cut after 3 seasons, how much of that $30 million do you think he saw.

If you just look at what receivers are making now and compare it to what he is making then compare their numbers to his, Burress should be making more money.

If you have a problem with a player not practicing while his contract is under renegotiation, do you also have a problem with an organization that tells a player not to show up at camp because they plan on getting rid of that player and don't want to risk being on the hook if that person should get injured?

How is he not showing loyalty? He's not asking for a trade, he's asking to renegotiate his contract. Mushin Mohammed got a $30 million contract and he got cut after 3 seasons, how much of that $30 million do you think he saw.

If you just look at what receivers are making now and compare it to what he is making then compare their numbers to his, Burress should be making more money.

If you have a problem with a player not practicing while his contract is under renegotiation, do you also have a problem with an organization that tells a player not to show up at camp because they plan on getting rid of that player and don't want to risk being on the hook if that person should get injured?

He's not showing loyalty by refusing to honor his current contract. I'm not debating that he is currently worth more money but I most definitely have an issue with players holding out, especially when there's still three whole fucking years left on his contract. It's an entirely selfish and classless thing to do. So what if someone else makes more? So fucking what? He agreed to terms and conditions as did the Giants.

What does Mushin's contract have to do with anything? He wasn't playing up to the level he was being paid. The Bears had the right to cut him as per their contract.

A for Pete's sake stop putting the quoted text at the bottom of your replies you nutjob! :furious:

He's not showing loyalty by refusing to honor his current contract. I'm not debating that he is currently worth more money but I most definitely have an issue with players holding out, especially when there's still three whole fucking years left on his contract. It's an entirely selfish and classless thing to do. So what if someone else makes more? So fucking what? He agreed to terms and conditions as did the Giants.

What does Mushin's contract have to do with anything? He wasn't playing up to the level he was being paid. The Bears had the right to cut him as per their contract.

A for Pete's sake stop putting the quoted text at the bottom of your replies you nutjob! :furious:

I'm with you 100% on this one Tree. Don't sign a long term contract if you are afraid of injuries or getting cut. Sign a contract year by year and see how long you remain in the league. He signed his name on a legal document that said he would play for 6 years for a certain amount of money. Did he not think the Giants would win the Super Bowl during those 6 years? The money was good enough for him then, why isn't good enough for him now? Why should he get Pro Bowl money when he hasn't been to a Pro Bowl as a Giant. He's a great receiver and I want him to be a Giant for a long time, but there classy ways to go about doing things.

I'm with you 100% on this one Tree. Don't sign a long term contract if you are afraid of injuries or getting cut. Sign a contract year by year and see how long you remain in the league. He signed his name on a legal document that said he would play for 6 years for a certain amount of money. Did he not think the Giants would win the Super Bowl during those 6 years? The money was good enough for him then, why isn't good enough for him now? Why should he get Pro Bowl money when he hasn't been to a Pro Bowl as a Giant. He's a great receiver and I want him to be a Giant for a long time, but there classy ways to go about doing things.

Because the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest and holds no bearing on how good a player actually is. Roy Williams is a prime example.