SportsWrath

Plax is holding out

RandolphScott

That's called collusion and it's illegal. It's a blatant restraint of trade.

I don't think he meant it like that, just refuse to sign any of his players. The White Sox's

do it as they have no Scott Boras' clients on their team. They just choose not to deal with Boras.

I don't think he meant it like that, just refuse to sign any of his players. The White Sox's

do it as they have no Scott Boras' clients on their team. They just choose not to deal with Boras.

That's one team, so it's merely an organizational decision. But for multiple teams to make a behind-closed-doors agreement to not sign Rosenhaus clients, that would constitute collusion. They would be conspiring to restrain trade. Baseball's CBA, as negotiated by Marvin Miller, actually states, "Players shall not act in concert with other Players and Clubs shall not act in concert with other Clubs." The NFL operates on the same principles, albeit with different verbiage.

Why would he still get paid if he doesn't show up for work?

Just the way it works. If he's on the opening day roster, he's entitled to his salary for the season. He would be subjected to fines, but the he'd still count against the cap. Alternatively, the team could suspend him without pay, as the Eagles did with Terrell Owens and the Bucs did with Keyshawn Johnson. But the team would still be on the hook for his $4.9 million cap number this year.

That's one team, so it's merely an organizational decision. But for multiple teams to make a behind-closed-doors agreement to not sign Rosenhaus clients, that would constitute collusion. They would be conspiring to restrain trade. Baseball's CBA, as negotiated by Marvin Miller, actually states, "Players shall not act in concert with other Players and Clubs shall not act in concert with other Clubs." The NFL operates on the same principles, albeit with different verbiage.

Okay thanks.

Don't have to get on your soap box when you tell someone something.

Just the way it works. If he's on the opening day roster, he's entitled to his salary for the season. He would be subjected to fines, but the he'd still count against the cap. Alternatively, the team could suspend him without pay, as the Eagles did with Terrell Owens and the Bucs did with Keyshawn Johnson. But the team would still be on the hook for his $4.9 million cap number this year.

Wow, the Players' Union lawyers are good. Personally I'd be tempted to tell him to play or sit, but having him count against both the roster and cap would really hurt. How about putting him on the PUP list (Personally Unmotivated to Perform List)?

Wow, the Players' Union lawyers are good. Personally I'd be tempted to tell him to play or sit, but having him count against both the roster and cap would really hurt. How about putting him on the PUP list (Personally Unmotivated to Perform List)?

When it comes down to it, I think the worst he'll is do is sit out most of training camp and come back in time for the regular season. That's what Owens did when he was advised to holdout by Rosenhaus. Same with Javon Walker. Not exactly the best solution, but certainly better than playing without Plax.

Contracts aren't sacred pacts. They are routinely violated or restructured by both sides of the table. Even though he is under contract, Plax is by no means locked up. Saying a player of Plax's caliber is under contract really means nothing in the grand scheme of things; he has the bargaining power to demand a new contract for the aforementioned reasons. If the Giants refuse to comply, he can either sit out and continue to get paid or he can take his services elsewhere.

I really disagree that holdouts are that big of a league problem. There's maybe a handful each year. And usually the situation is settled amicably. Plus, it's hard to blame these guys for procuring as much money as they can given the nature of their profession.

You know, I don't see why Plax suddenly has a bargaining power.. he FINALLY played well this season.. in 2007. Now suddenly he wants to get paid the big bucks? Maybe the Giants should get a refund when he played like shit... when he let Pacman intercept the ball right before his eyes.. for every time he threw his arms in the air when the ball didn't hit him between the #s.

You know, I don't see why Plax suddenly has a bargaining power.. he FINALLY played well this season.. in 2007. Now suddenly he wants to get paid the big bucks? Maybe the Giants should get a refund when he played like shit... when he let Pacman intercept the ball right before his eyes.. for every time he threw his arms in the air when the ball didn't hit him between the #s.

He's been a top receiver all three years he's been here. His bargaining power not only lies in his performance, but also the lucrative contracts signed by other wide receivers. Here's a thread I authored on BBI elaborating on how his contract currently compares to his peers. Lastly, he such rare talent that if the Giants decide not to cooperate, he can take his services elsewhere...after all, only 10 or 12 guys in the world can do what he does, so someone would be more than happy to sign him to a contract in line with Javon Walker and Bernard Berrian.

I don't fault the NFL players to try to extract as much money

out of there team as possible. Remember these contracts

are not guaranteed like baseball and basketball. Also

the shelf life of NFL players is very very short in comparision.

When a window of opportunity exsists for a player like Plax

he wants to be paid like his peers and knows at any moment

down the road a career altering injury can happen.

He knows he is a commodity and when he feels his

value is high he wants to be paid like others in his class.

Just pure business if ya asked me.

Some fans see it as greedy and being un-team like

but I don't blame the guy from a business perspective

at all.

I hope the Giants can come to terms with him.

I don't see why you think Plax was so bad in 05 and 06.

It has been done before not to agents but to players.

Reese asked Burress if he wants to remain a Giant.

"I don't want to go anywhere. I made that very evident," Burress said. "If I wanted to go somewhere else or if I didn't want to be there, I would have let that be known, too. I'm going to come out and speak how I feel and tell you what's right. But as far as me, I'm very happy where I'm at. I love the situation I'm in, I love the guys I play with, I love the city and I just love everything about me playing football up there. I just want to end my career there. I don't want to travel all around the globe trying to play football. I'll be 31 in August, so I just want to play my last five or six years there and end my career there and hopefully win another championship."

From MG's blog.

It's clear there's no malicious intent in this holdout and Plax said himself he thinks something will get done.

From MG's blog.

It's clear there's no malicious intent in this holdout and Plax said himself he thinks something will get done.

THAT is how you go about renegotiating a contract. I still don't think we should give him the moon (an extra year, salary converted to a bonus, slight bump in salary is cool), but bravo for doing this the right way Plax!

He's been a top receiver all three years he's been here. His bargaining power not only lies in his performance, but also the lucrative contracts signed by other wide receivers. Here's a thread I authored on BBI elaborating on how his contract currently compares to his peers. Lastly, he such rare talent that if the Giants decide not to cooperate, he can take his services elsewhere...after all, only 10 or 12 guys in the world can do what he does, so someone would be more than happy to sign him to a contract in line with Javon Walker and Bernard Berrian.

You make a good case for Plax and I'm sure some here would agree with you. I just don't see the point of signing a contract if halfway thru it, the player decides he's underpaid. And I don't think Plax had excellent seasons before 2007.

You make a good case for Plax and I'm sure some here would agree with you. I just don't see the point of signing a contract if halfway thru it, the player decides he's underpaid. And I don't think Plax had excellent seasons before 2007.

The player wouldn't have known that he would be underpaid because the player didn't realize that a year later the market for players would change dramatically.

And look at his last three years Nas:

2007 New York Giants 16 16 70 1,025 14.6 60T 12 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

2006 New York Giants 15 15 63 988 15.7 55T 10 -- -- -- -- -- 2 1

2005 New York Giants 16 15 76 1,214 16.0 78T 7 -- -- -- -- -- 1 1

It seemed like Plax had a much bigger year this year because he was maturing rapidly and he was playing hurt but in reality he put up the same numbers as the previous two seasons.

The player wouldn't have known that he would be underpaid because the player didn't realize that a year later the market for players would change dramatically.

And look at his last three years Nas:

2007 New York Giants 16 16 70 1,025 14.6 60T 12 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

2006 New York Giants 15 15 63 988 15.7 55T 10 -- -- -- -- -- 2 1

2005 New York Giants 16 15 76 1,214 16.0 78T 7 -- -- -- -- -- 1 1

It seemed like Plax had a much bigger year this year because he was maturing rapidly and he was playing hurt but in reality he put up the same numbers as the previous two seasons.

Judging by those numbers, Plaxico doesn't deserve TO or Moss money. However, the amount of heart he showed this year was unbelievable.

But, to fair to the Giants. Wasn't most of the money in Plaxico contact was up front, instead in the tail end like most NFL players get? I don't remember.

*ahem*

*Adam*

He signed his contract under a different cap environment, and upon the arrival of the new cap environment, he was underpaid. That's the point. It's extraordinarily simple.