SportsWrath

Plax is holding out

RandolphScott

Well said Shaun.

Well I'm not sure I agree with O'Hara here. I don't disagree with the substance as much the style. If the past has taught us anything, it's that other players commenting makes matters worse. I'm sure everyone here remembers when Tiki couldn't shut his trap about Strahan.

That being said, I really think Plax didn't live up to the expectations till late in the season.. when the contract became a motivation. The way I see it (and sorry for repeating myself) if you play hard, everything else will fall in place. I don't think Plax is the TOP receiver in the league nor is he in the top 5... What he's doing is childish but it's what it is.

Burress risked his entire career by playing and playing very hurt all year and came up big. Most thought he would not even play the SB as of gameday. Lets say he got badly hurt and the Giants did not win. Think they have any problem cutting him and recouping he 10 mil he is owed?

In most cases I agree, you sign you honor, but in this case no player has deserved a new deal more than Plax.

xxi, you know I respect your opinion a great deal. However and this is just the athelete in me talking, I really thought Plax was milking if not completely faking the injury. Ankles stiff up when the body is cool.. but once you start running it loosens up and you don't even feel it... and that's assuming he actually had an injury.

Now factor that, as Tree stated, the guy still has 3 years on his contract... and he got hot late in the season.. again when he wanted to make his contract an issue. Quite frankly, I don't think the Giants should cave in...

xxi, you know I respect your opinion a great deal. However and this is just the athelete in me talking, I really thought Plax was milking if not completely faking the injury. Ankles stiff up when the body is cool.. but once you start running it loosens up and you don't even feel it... and that's assuming he actually had an injury.

Now factor that, as Tree stated, the guy still has 3 years on his contract... and he got hot late in the season.. again when he wanted to make his contract an issue. Quite frankly, I don't think the Giants should cave in...

so the fact that he was evaluated as having an extreme ankle sprain in week 3 doesn't hold any weight? he collapsed in the shower the night before the SB when his knee blew out on him along with his ankle and still played.

nas i know you dont like the guy but he played the entire season on one ankle without ever using that as an excuse when things were going bad. he personfiied our team as road warriors and deserves to be rewarded. i dont like the way he's gone about this but then again i dont like the way the giants have either low balling him.

He's not showing loyalty by refusing to honor his current contract. I'm not debating that he is currently worth more money but I most definitely have an issue with players holding out, especially when there's still three whole fucking years left on his contract. It's an entirely selfish and classless thing to do. So what if someone else makes more? So fucking what? He agreed to terms and conditions as did the Giants.

What does Mushin's contract have to do with anything? He wasn't playing up to the level he was being paid. The Bears had the right to cut him as per their contract.

A for Pete's sake stop putting the quoted text at the bottom of your replies you nutjob! :furious:

So teams are completely exempt from criticism when they don't honor their players contracts because of under-performance, but when a player outplays his contract he has no right to ask for a bump?

So teams are completely exempt from criticism when they don't honor their players contracts because of under-performance, but when a player outplays his contract he has no right to ask for a bump?

you are missing the point entirely. Nobody is pissed that he wants a raise, people are pissed because he is acting like a little kid and sitting out, putting himself before the team. The very same thing we gave TO shit for doing a few years ago.

Because the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest and holds no bearing on how good a player actually is. Roy Williams is a prime example.

Tell that to the Hall of Fame.

I do agree that the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest nowadays, but if agents and players are going to use it as ammo for better contracts, then what's good for goose is good for the gander.

Tell that to the Hall of Fame.

I do agree that the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest nowadays, but if agents and players are going to use it as ammo for better contracts, then what's good for goose is good for the gander.

And if a gm can't see the Pro Bowl for what it is and he signs a player based on the fact that he made the Pro Bowl then he's a idiot.

Anyway, Burress deserves an extension. He wants to remain in a Giants Uni so what's the problem with locking him up for the rest of his career? I'll agree that a holdout isn't what needs to be done, but acting like Burress doesn't deserve to be given an extension isn't a good way to go about doing things either.

He's never 'outplayed' anything. He got paid what he was worth at the time for all the reasons I've already covered.

Anyone signing a big, long contract knows full well that they won't see the end of it if they're not stellar. That's what all the negotiations over guaranteed money are about.

He didn't sprain his ankle. HE TORE A TENDON for fucks sake and sprained his MCL 4

days before the Superbowl and was doubtful 2 hours prior to the game.

I sprained my ankle last month playing golf (yeah, yeah) and I just happen to sprain

the same tendon that Plax tore. I couldn't walk without a limp for about two days and it hurt.

I don't ever want to tear that tendon again.

Dammit Nas how many times are we gonna hear this crap from you? The team was only saying 'sprain' because they didn't want to tell people it was actually a torn ligament, though that was pretty obvious after it persisted for weeks.

Nas, I know all about ankles. I had a college baseball career cut short because of severely torn tendons in my right ankle. I came back too soon, ignored it as a sprain and it never healed properly. When you hurt an ankle like that sometimes the swelling is so severe it masks the torn tendons. To this day I still get a sore ankle on cold/rainy days, and have to be very careful when I do my treadmill run as my ankle sometimes stiffens up. Almost 15 years later my right ankle is larger than my left.

So, maybe its the athlete in me that knows what Plaxico risked and how underpaid he is to play so well at his WR spot. 85% of NFL players would have shut it down. He did not.

And if a gm can't see the Pro Bowl for what it is and he signs a player based on the fact that he made the Pro Bowl then he's a idiot.

Anyway, Burress deserves an extension. He wants to remain in a Giants Uni so what's the problem with locking him up for the rest of his career? I'll agree that a holdout isn't what needs to be done, but acting like Burress doesn't deserve to be given an extension isn't a good way to go about doing things either.

Lock him up for the rest of his career? He's not even honoring the 6 year deal.

He was an integral part of the Giants getting to and winning the Superbowl, no question. Does he deserve some reward for that? Absolutely. But if he doesn't get a reward based on that performance, holding out on his contract is not the answer. He signed it and that is that. Maybe he should have thought about including a 'Superbowl Bonus' clause in the terms of the original contract. If he's so pissed off about it, let him play it out, and bail when it's up. Trust me, if any of us signed a contract and didn't honor it, we'd be sued post haste.

so the fact that he was evaluated as having an extreme ankle sprain in week 3 doesn't hold any weight? he collapsed in the shower the night before the SB when his knee blew out on him along with his ankle and still played.

nas i know you dont like the guy but he played the entire season on one ankle without ever using that as an excuse when things were going bad. he personfiied our team as road warriors and deserves to be rewarded. i dont like the way he's gone about this but then again i dont like the way the giants have either low balling him.

I praised Plax when he played to his potential. The Giants organization has ripped up players' contracts and wrote new ones to reward them. This guy has 3 years left... I bet you if he was to repeat his performace of 2007, the Giants will reward him accordingly... going about it the childish way is what pisses me and others off...

He's never 'outplayed' anything. He got paid what he was worth at the time for all the reasons I've already covered.

Anyone signing a big, long contract knows full well that they won't see the end of it if they're not stellar. That's what all the negotiations over guaranteed money are about.

I just don''t get why teams can take money back from them if they struggle but can't give more if they overachieve.

Put his value up against the top WRs in the league and it isn't even close. Couple that with the fact three high profile WRs all got deals this off-seasons and this really isn't that surprising. It's part of the business, you may not like the business but this is what it is and I do agree with it.

I praised Plax when he played to his potential. The Giants organization has ripped up players' contracts and wrote new ones to reward them. This guy has 3 years left... I bet you if he was to repeat his performace of 2007, the Giants will reward him accordingly... going about it the childish way is what pisses me and others off...

He's had three straight stellar seasons. This one was more impressive in the sense of less bitching and playing through injury but he's been an absolute stud here since 05.

You look back to that play against the Titans and since then he has 17 TDs.

Again, that's what the guaranteed portion of the contract is for.

I see what you're saying. But then again that essentially means the contract one signs is solely incentive based.

I think the fact that has Plax ticked is he became an FA at the worst possible time and now sees his peers making a lot more than him while they aren't that much better than him. He also feels he put his career on the line this past year and deserves to be rewarded for that.

I hope this isn't becasue he's internally worried he's lost a lot because of that ankle and wants to get all the money while he can...

Shaun O'Hara needs to keep his mouth shut here, and what he needs to do as the "players Union rep " is complain to his own boss Gene Upshaw about this type of behaviour. And also if I'm correct last year Shaun O'Hara was the big contract the Giants had to pay out last year. I seriously doubt that Shaun would have gone to camp if he didn't get the deal he wanted, which in reality is pretty damn high for a center. I also believe his deal is as big if not bigger than Plaxico's is.

The Giants should send a message here, send both of them home, what the fuck is the point of keeping them on the premises if they are hanging out?. It's embarassing to the org, it's the type of thing that is going on in Cinncinnati with Johnson and you see how that whole thing is ridiculed.

Shaun O'Hara needs to keep his mouth shut here, and what he needs to do as the "players Union rep " is complain to his own boss Gene Upshaw about this type of behaviour. And also if I'm correct last year Shaun O'Hara was the big contract the Giants had to pay out last year. I seriously doubt that Shaun would have gone to camp if he didn't get the deal he wanted, which in reality is pretty damn high for a center. I also believe his deal is as big if not bigger than Plaxico's is.

The Giants should send a message here, send both of them home, what the fuck is the point of keeping them on the premises if they are hanging out?. It's embarassing to the org, it's the type of thing that is going on in Cinncinnati with Johnson and you see how that whole thing is ridiculed.

Thats exactly how I feel, both players are basically mocking the orginization. I want both of them on the team and happy, but they are playing their hands a bit too aggressivly and making the team look like a joke.

Thats exactly how I feel, both players are basically mocking the orginization. I want both of them on the team and happy, but they are playing their hands a bit too aggressivly and making the team look like a joke.

If there's something in the CBA that allows them to show up for mini camp but not practice, then that's a joke and embarassing for not just the Giants but the league. I believe Jason peter is pulling the same shit in Buffalo. That's why I said O'Hara should keep quiet, because he's the union rep, speak up the next time the union calls a rep meeting.

O'hara signed his deal as a UFA though. If he didn't sign it he wasn't coming to our camp regardless.

Lock him up for the rest of his career? He's not even honoring the 6 year deal.

He was an integral part of the Giants getting to and winning the Superbowl, no question. Does he deserve some reward for that? Absolutely. But if he doesn't get a reward based on that performance, holding out on his contract is not the answer. He signed it and that is that. Maybe he should have thought about including a 'Superbowl Bonus' clause in the terms of the original contract. If he's so pissed off about it, let him play it out, and bail when it's up. Trust me, if any of us signed a contract and didn't honor it, we'd be sued post haste.

Plax said that he wants to retire a Giant. Three years from now the team could say "Thanx for everything Plax... now GTFO." He wants to avoid that and I for one don't see any issue with it. Also I already said that I didn't agree with him holding out and that it wasn't the right way to go about doing things. For all the shit he gets from nearly every Giants fan, Tiki Barber handled the situation gracefully when it came to his contract negotiations during his final extension. I'd be happy if Plax took that road. The problem is that Reese and the FO don't want to give him an extension and I don't think that's right. Plax risked his entire career to stay on the field and help us win a Super Bowl. I'd say that based on that alone he would deserve an extension. We're not talking about a new 8 year $150Million contract, we're talking about adding a few years onto his existing contract and an increase in the pay. Is this the wrong way to handle things on Plax's part? Yes, however I don't see him doing situps in his driveway after only 1 year of a 7 year $49Million contract so he shouldn't be lumped in the same group with the likes of TO. That being said it's not the right way for the Giants to handle things either.

Sidebar: Has Snee been extended yet? He's entering the final year of his contract IIRC and if he hits free agency we can kiss him goodbye unless TC's in his ear.

Plax said that he wants to retire a Giant. Three years from now the team could say "Thanx for everything Plax... now GTFO." He wants to avoid that and I for one don't see any issue with it. Also I already said that I didn't agree with him holding out and that it wasn't the right way to go about doing things. For all the shit he gets from nearly every Giants fan, Tiki Barber handled the situation gracefully when it came to his contract negotiations during his final extension. I'd be happy if Plax took that road. The problem is that Reese and the FO don't want to give him an extension and I don't think that's right. Plax risked his entire career to stay on the field and help us win a Super Bowl. I'd say that based on that alone he would deserve an extension. We're not talking about a new 8 year $150Million contract, we're talking about adding a few years onto his existing contract and an increase in the pay. Is this the wrong way to handle things on Plax's part? Yes, however I don't see him doing situps in his driveway after only 1 year of a 7 year $49Million contract so he shouldn't be lumped in the same group with the likes of TO. That being said it's not the right way for the Giants to handle things either.

Sidebar: Has Snee been extended yet? He's entering the final year of his contract IIRC and if he hits free agency we can kiss him goodbye unless TC's in his ear.

I actually agree with what you posted, I was just using the 'lock him up' part to pop off my own little rant.

Look, (and I am not directing this specifically at you or your post), it's already been established Plax played hurt all season, caught the game winning TD....he had a great season. It's admirable he wants to retire a Giant, considering he could probably live out the life of this contract, hit the FA market and at least get paid more than he would have when we first signed him. For all he has done, sure, he deserves the extension I'm not arguing that. My issue with it is, if the Giants decide not to do it, Plax is holding out. Despite his accomplishments, he signed a deal, and to not honor it because the Giants won't renegotiate is wrong, plain and simple. Plax and his agent should continue talking to the F.O. to get something worked out, but in the meantime, suit up and do what you're paid for.

I actually agree with what you posted, I was just using the 'lock him up' part to pop off my own little rant.

Look, (and I am not directing this specifically at you or your post), it's already been established Plax played hurt all season, caught the game winning TD....he had a great season. It's admirable he wants to retire a Giant, considering he could probably live out the life of this contract, hit the FA market and at least get paid more than he would have when we first signed him. For all he has done, sure, he deserves the extension I'm not arguing that. My issue with it is, if the Giants decide not to do it, Plax is holding out. Despite his accomplishments, he signed a deal, and to not honor it because the Giants won't renegotiate is wrong, plain and simple. Plax and his agent should continue talking to the F.O. to get something worked out, but in the meantime, suit up and do what you're paid for.

We are in agreement.

The thing is the guy has 3 years left on his contract. He signed that contract didn't he? Now I can imagine if it's the final year and he's looking to cash in...