SportsWrath

Bill Cowher: an objective analysis.

Sephiroth

Some of you might not be aware, but I believe Bill Cowher is the perfect coach to replace Coughlin. I won't spell out my opinions on the matter, but I will refer to my Cowher Manifesto if anyone who's interested.

However, opinions matter little in the grand scheme of things. Lets take a look at the cold, hard facts.

In fifteen years, Cowher posted a .623 winning percentage. How does that stack up to other "great" coaches of this era?

Tom Coughlin .531

Bill Parcells .569

Jon Gruden .540

Sean Payton .604 (I was surprised by this)

Bill Belichick .664

We can see from this data that although Belichick eclipses him, Cowher has posted a better winning percentage than the man he'd replace, as well as a better percentage than two other coaches who's names are thrown around as Coughlin replacements (Gruden and Payton). His winning percentage is nearly 100 points better than Greatest Coach of All Time Who Never Won a Playoff Game Without Belichick, Bill Parcells.

But what really matters is postseason wins, correct? Well, lets take a look there. Bill Cowher posts a .466 winning percentage in the playoffs. How does that stack up to the rest of the crew?

Tom Coughlin .407

Bill Parcells .416

Jon Gruden .400

Sean Payton .500

Bill Belichick .546

In this statistic, Cowher beats Coughlin, Gruden, and Greatest Coach Who Never Won Anything Without Belichick handily, but comes in a bit shy of Payton (again, I'm stunned) and Belichick. However, I'd also like to remind everyone that Cowher was posting this record with Kordell Stewart and Mike Tomzcak as his QBS, not Tom Brady and Drew Brees.

So there you have it. The numbers speak for themselves. Unfortunately, the bandwagon is full for all of you fair-weather Cowher fans, but when we're back in the playoffs in two years under Cowher I'll be bumping this thread to remind you that all of us on the bandwagon were right.

I almost want it to happen just so you could be happy for about two months but then I realize we'd still have to look at Bill Cowher all year long. If they go with another coach are you giving up the Cowher bandwagon?

My problem with Cowher is that as with any investment, past results are not indicative of future success. The game has changed so much since Cowher coached... what has it been, 9 years? And has he gotten to comfortable? Would he be able to turn it on and devote as much as TC has to making the Giants a winner after having the cush TV job for all these years? I don't think he's forgotten how to coach, and I have tremendous respect and admiration for Cowher. But these would be concerns I would have... but I would certainly give an interview if I was John Mara and listen.

My problem with Cowher is that as with any investment, past results are not indicative of future success. The game has changed so much since Cowher coached... what has it been, 9 years? And has he gotten to comfortable? Would he be able to turn it on and devote as much as TC has to making the Giants a winner after having the cush TV job for all these years? I don't think he's forgotten how to coach, and I have tremendous respect and admiration for Cowher. But these would be concerns I would have... but I would certainly give an interview if I was John Mara and listen.

Those are valid concerns, but Dick Vermeil came back after a dozen years and took that Rams team to the Super Bowl, and strong defense and a running game will always win in the NFL. I don't think Cowher comes back unless he feels the fire. There was a report this summer about how happy he was working at CBS and having dinner three times a week with that dude he's dating, and I think that's the biggest thing that would keep him out of the job, but there's other reports saying that he'd come back for the right situation.

I guess the good thing about bringing in someone like Cowher/Gruden...... is we wouldn't lose any draft picks in the deal. I just can't see the owners giving up a first round pick for any coach out there.

Some of you might not be aware, but I believe Bill Cowher is the perfect coach to replace Coughlin. I won't spell out my opinions on the matter, but I will refer to my Cowher Manifesto if anyone who's interested.

However, opinions matter little in the grand scheme of things. Lets take a look at the cold, hard facts.

In fifteen years, Cowher posted a .623 winning percentage. How does that stack up to other "great" coaches of this era?

Tom Coughlin .531

Bill Parcells .569

Jon Gruden .540

Bill Belichick .664

We can see from this data that although Belichick eclipses him, Cowher has posted a better winning percentage than the man he'd replace, as well as a better percentage than two other coaches who's names are thrown around as Coughlin replacements (Gruden and Payton). His winning percentage is nearly 100 points better than Greatest Coach of All Time Who Never Won a Playoff Game Without Belichick, Bill Parcells.

But what really matters is postseason wins, correct? Well, lets take a look there. Bill Cowher posts a .466 winning percentage in the playoffs. How does that stack up to the rest of the crew?

Tom Coughlin .407

Bill Parcells .416

Jon Gruden .400

Sean Payton .500

Bill Belichick .546

In this statistic, Cowher beats Coughlin, Gruden, and Greatest Coach Who Never Won Anything Without Belichick handily, but comes in a bit shy of Payton (again, I'm stunned) and Belichick. However, I'd also like to remind everyone that Cowher was posting this record with Kordell Stewart and Mike Tomzcak as his QBS, not Tom Brady and Drew Brees.

So there you have it. The numbers speak for themselves. Unfortunately, the bandwagon is full for all of you fair-weather Cowher fans, but when we're back in the playoffs in two years under Cowher I'll be bumping this thread to remind you that all of us on the bandwagon were right.

Where'd you get your playoff records from? Coughlin is 12-7 overall (8-3 with NYG) in the postseason for a .632 winning percentage. Cowher is 12-9 for a .571 winning percentage. Belicheck is 22-9... .710 winning percentage. Gruden is 5-4... .556. Payton is 6-4... .600. Parcells is 11-8 (8-3 with NYG)... .578.

Seph - there is a reason these guys have TV jobs. Coughlin could've gone to a CBS mode after Jacksonville if needed. But no - we need a coach who WANTS to be on the sidelines. He just wont be able to connect with Big Blue on a Blue Collar level. Hell - Id look at Dan Campbell even. That might be the only way we get a TE on this roster :)

In 2007, before Ahmad Bradshaw's run against Buffalo that basically catapulted the Giants into the playoffs, I was on the Cowher bandwagon too.

Now, I can't imagine finding a better coach, and a finer human being than Tom Coughlin to lead this team. Two days later, and I am still bummed. It's hard to witness the end of an era. I'm sure once everything settles down, and I know who is going to be here, things will be fine. Right now, though, it's difficult to be enthusiastic.

Where'd you get your playoff records from? Coughlin is 12-7 overall (8-3 with NYG) in the postseason for a .632 winning percentage. Cowher is 12-9 for a .571 winning percentage. Belicheck is 22-9... .710 winning percentage. Gruden is 5-4... .556. Payton is 6-4... .600. Parcells is 11-8 (8-3 with NYG)... .578.

I got the numbers from Pro Football Reference.

Tom Coughlin .531

Bill Parcells .569

Jon Gruden .540

Bill Belichick .664

Tom Coughlin .407

Bill Parcells .416

Jon Gruden .400

Sean Payton .500

Bill Belichick .546

Hey Seph you remember the name of the defensive coordinator who came along and helped Cowher over the Super Bowl hump?

I really hope the Giants were in behind the scenes talks with Cowher before Coughlin "stepped down". (should have been Reese "stepping down") Eli is 35 and would rather the Giants kept the coaching staff intact until he retired. Anyway, this is the best bandwagon in town.