SportsWrath

Draft Day

Herc

50 minutes ago, mastershake said:

So Andru Phillips in 2023 gave up 38 completions on 57 pass attempts, for 434 yards (nearly 8 yards per pass ball thrown his way), and 3 TDs with 0 ints, for a passer rating of 107. As I look on PFF, none of the other CBs drafted so far have a passer rating above 90.

So we drafted basically another 6th round CB for the beat writers to boast about again.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/andru-phillips/124075/draft-profile

I don’t plan on any pick after the second ever seeing the field anyway so, whatever. It’s nice when they plan out but 3rd hit rate for starters has got to be low. I’ve gotten too excited over the years for 3rd and 4th round picks that I’m just jaded on anyone after the 2nd. 

54 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Lol 

Pff still gave him a 70 rating and had a second round grade (if people believe this crap anyways) 

So we got a third round player in the third round.

What do people expect at pick 70?

I can't figure out draft grades. They're projecting potential, but it's not correlated with college production in most cases.

I would have liked a G here but this seems like a pretty weak draft for IOL.

36 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

I don’t plan on any pick after the second ever seeing the field anyway so, whatever. It’s nice when they plan out but 3rd hit rate for starters has got to be low. I’ve gotten too excited over the years for 3rd and 4th round picks that I’m just jaded on anyone after the 2nd. 

I think this is just the Jerry Reese and Gettleman years wearing you down. Only getting 2 quality players out of each draft means each year you have 12 positions that need to be filled by free agents just to field your starters. You can't build a team that way.

Ideally, each draft NEEDS to have 2 impact players and 2 quality-to-decent starters come out of it.

11 hours ago, mastershake said:

This is all accurate, but also the context is one where if you're drafting a QB in rounds 1-2, you're more likely to be given a chance to start, given the team invested premium assets in your. Some guys rounds 3-7 rarely if ever get a chance to start, and the little they get might be backup work at best. For instance, the guys drafted in the top 12 this year are all going to be given a shot to start most likely at least a couple dozen games, while those in rounds 3-7 are more likely to be considered backups.

I'd be interested to see it expressed not as a % drafted but as a % given a chance to start, say, >= 20 games. The current denominator is all drafted, but I'd like to see it as among those who were given a chance to start 20 or more games, or some similar threshold.

Especially considering some recent drafts have been real duffers for QB's in the first round. Look at 2021-2022. Lawrence is a mid range starter, the rest are most likely backups, or maybe bottom tier starter in Fields.

- Trevor Lawrence

- Zach Wilson

- Trey Lance

- Justin Fields

- Mac Jones

- Kenny Pickett

Daniel Jones has been better than all of the above....

7 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Look at ALL the good players that went between our old #2 pick and the new one.

Brian Burns har better be fucking worth it.

He will be - just look at his film - kids damn good! Schoen knows what he is doing....in a coupe years this contract will look like chump change