SportsWrath

Free Agency

gmenroc

First pass on our free agents, I see 7 worth making offers to...but setting a limit and letting them walk if they balk too hard.

Barkley - dude deserves an offer.  No more than 3 years, 40 mil with a voidable 4th year to extend cap hit if need be.  With Breida aging and Gray not exactly setting world on fire, I think it appropriate.

McKinney - already talking about making it rain after a 6 win season is annoying, but he is a good SS with some range.  He too will be north of 10 mil per by some team.  4 year, 45 mil maybe?

Simmons - played well in the role he was put in and hoping next DC can do the same.  He is not a 10 mil per kinda guy though.  3 year, 20 mil maybe?

Kreiter - a reliable LS is a good one to have.  Just wish we could find a backup G who could also LS instead of dedicating a roster spot to a LS only.  Vet min candidate with some incentives sprinkled in for workouts and games started.

Holmes - vet min + 10% or so.  He isn't great, but he isn't a terrible rotational piece if a starter gets dinged for a week.  Definitely look at CB free agents for upgrade or and equivalent for less money.

Olszewski - bright spot brought in mid year.  Certainly should come back on a multi-year deal.  Would have been nice to see him at WR at least once or twice, but he earned a ST roster spot for sure.

Beavers/Coughlin/Brown - probably Brown out of this group for ST...but whomever comes cheapest here can stay.

Literally the other 20 are easily replaceable.

3 years, 40 million for Barkley? WTF are you smoking? Christian McCaffrey only made 16 mil this season and he's three times the player Barkley is.

McKinney is a good safety against scrubs that gets fucking destroyed by good TEs, plus he runs his mouth and doesn't back it up with his play. He can walk.

Simmons has been ok this year but I wouldn't break the bank for him either.

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

3 years, 40 million for Barkley? WTF are you smoking? Christian McCaffrey only made 16 mil this season and he's three times the player Barkley is.

McKinney is a good safety against scrubs that gets fucking destroyed by good TEs, plus he runs his mouth and doesn't back it up with his play. He can walk.

Simmons has been ok this year but I wouldn't break the bank for him either.

Whoa whoa - its easy for McCaffrey to do what he is doing with that Oline and with Deebo, Aiyuk and Kittle on the same offense. Defenses can only do so much when you have that many weapons that even an average QB like Purdy (who was exposed badly by Baltimore) can have League leading stats. Calling McCaffrey 3 times the player that Barkley is unfair - you put Barkley on that 9ers team and am sure Barkley will also have league leading stats.

In this dead ass season, Barkley has been one of the few bright spots on this team and has always played hard and has even expressed that he wants to be a Giant. But then again, its a business decision and I think they franchise tag him.

3 years $40M for Barkley ain't happening... especially not with a free agent RB market that has a lot of options....and we definitely shouldn't pay that, when we have higher priorities first, such as the OL, and precious little cap space to address our needs.

I'd be just as happy with a guy like Gus Edwards or Devin Singletary, on a 2 year $6-7M or so deal, while bringing in two starting capable in free agency, plus we need CB, S, WR, and someone opposite Thibs.

Go with a Gus Edwards or Devin Singletary, plus mid round draft pick, plus Eric Gray at RB.

10 minutes ago, Herc said:

If we didn’t pay him coming off a playoff win i dont think it’s happening after we took a step back

I think he would be more than happy getting franchise tagged this year and landing $12 million

16 minutes ago, Herc said:

If we didn’t pay him coming off a playoff win i dont think it’s happening after we took a step back

Yeah you don't pay a RB going into year 7, coming off an injury, who's been injury prone, and who averaged only 3.9 yards per carry, didn't finish in the top 10 of rushing, etc...you don't pay that guy 3 years $40M, especially when you have pressing needs at OL without enough cap room for everything, and can't run the ball consistently.

Especially in a robust FA RB market, that's going to drive down salaries for RBs.

Maybe someone gives Barkley 3 years $30M or 2 years $20M, but that team has to be someone like the Ravens.

I'd be willing to do something like a 3 year $30M, if it's seriously backloaded via a signing bonus and doesn't break the cap for 2024, and only has like a $5-6M cap hit in 2024, with an 'out' in the third year, plus provided we bring in two starting capable guards at least.

I think signing Barkley has bigger impact on locker room than anyone realizes.  With voidable 4th year, you'd be looking at 10 mil per for cap purposes while having him under contract essentially for 3.  Yes, that means dead cap money 4 years from now.

Definitely think offensive line is priority number 1 and based on what Barkley was able to do this season given revolving door at offensive line and QB, he could do significantly more if the line is properly addressed.

He is the face of the team much like Eli was.  Make no mistake, this is not Jones' team...it's Barkley's.  

Spottrac puts Barkley's value at around 6 million per season. If we wanna give him a 3-year, 20 million deal with a year 3 out I could be talked into that. Making him the second highest paid back in the league is insane.

Honestly, I'd much rather give D'onta Foreman another one year, 2 million deal and either get another vet like Edwards on the cheap or draft a mid-round guy to develop in the meantime. A franchise back should be the cherry on top of your franchise, not the main course. 

The focus this offseason should be o-line first, o-line second, and then o-line, in that order.

17 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Spottrac puts Barkley's value at around 6 million per season. If we wanna give him a 3-year, 20 million deal with a year 3 out I could be talked into that. Making him the second highest paid back in the league is insane.

Honestly, I'd much rather give D'onta Foreman another one year, 2 million deal and either get another vet like Edwards on the cheap or draft a mid-round guy to develop in the meantime. A franchise back should be the cherry on top of your franchise, not the main course. 

The focus this offseason should be o-line first, o-line second, and then o-line, in that order.

what is it about Foreman’s 425 yard season with a 3.9 avg that makes you want him?

18 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I would easily sign up for Barkley at 3 years $20M. That would be a bargain.

As long as his cap hit doesn't exceed $5-6M or so in 2024, and as long as we address the OL too, I'd be fine with bringing him back. I am not on board with him getting 3 years $40M though.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

what is it about Foreman’s 425 yard season with a 3.9 avg that makes you want him?

1. His price.

2. He's a power back (we haven't had one in like five years).

3. He played half as many games as Saquon and had nearly the same per-game stats.

4. In the games he's played in he's been effective (4.2 ypc average).

That to me is worth a 2 million dart throw as opposed to a 20 million one. Wouldn't be opposed to having both guys at the right price though.

My heart wants Saquon to stay. My mind understands there is a financial side that will probably prevent that. And I would also like to see him behind a line and on a competent offense that would be able to properly exploit his talents. And that won’t be the giants for a while

Not a hope in hell he gets 3 years at 40 mill. 

I have less hope he'll be resigned this season. The best teams in the league are going running back by committee. Derrick Henry is on the market now and he'll be lucky to get a 2 year contract anywhere. 

Derrick Henry, Austin Ekeler, Tony Pollard, Josh Jacobs, D'Andre Swift, Gus Edwards, Devin Singletary, AJ Dillon are all free agents, to name a few. The RB market is going to be flooded this offseason, which is going to drive RB salaries for free agents down. Definitely not way in hell Barkley gets 3 years $40M.

7 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

He is getting franchised i feel

I think that's too much money for Barkley. So I hope not. 

He played at a $6-8 million level in 2023. He'll be a year older in 2024. He'll come at a good guy premium and I'm cool with that, but I want to see my team win too, and not merely have a roster full of guys who are nice to root for.

Foreman we could probably get on a cheapo 1 year $1.5M deal or something.

With Singletary and Gus Edwards, possibly 2 years $6-7M max. Maybe even Zack Moss at 2 years $8M could be a good fit.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Ekeler and Derrick Henry max out at like maybe $6-7M per year (e.g. 2 years $12M, 3 years $18-20M).

If you're not Christian McCaffrey, I just don't see you getting paid north of $10M per year. Maybe Barkley or DeAndre Swift get 3 years $30M somewhere, but I can't see more than that.

1 hour ago, Herc said:

Frustrating to talk about RBs.  This needs to be priority 1, 2 and 3

As long as the discussion is "spend no more than $xM" on a RB, and prioritize OL. The OL definitely takes priority.

I fear Ol inflation this offseason. OL are going to be highly coveted and we'll likely have to overpay for what we need. The guy I wanted Conner Williams, who's a stud, blew out his knee last month, and is only making the market that much tighter at OL.