SportsWrath

Official petition to draft Michael Penix Jr thread

Too injured. We have enough players on IR by week 8 as it is now. If he's still there with our second 2nd rounder or in the 3rd maybe you roll the dice but he's not a first-rounder IMO.

17 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Bo Nix had an amazing bowl game and season in general.

Maybe trade down to like #8 or #9 and take him.

I would be upset it we opted for Nix instead of Penix.  And I don't dislike Nix, was on his bandwagon most of this year until i actually watched Washington and Oregon head to head.  

Penix is one of the best quarterbacks coming into the draft I have seen. 

48 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

Does that make it more likely to tear again?

uuuhhh yeah anywhere from 5 to 20% chance of re injury, and that's only after one.

https://acltear.info/acl-reinjury-risk/

So let's forget the ACL.

Between 2018 and 2021 how many season ending injuries did he have in those four years of college?

It's less than five and more than three.

I'm not saying he isnt a talent thrower, he looks like he could be a very good QB.

But he's had one season healthy in college (sorta) and even missed a year in highschool with an injury.

I'm afraid he'll be on IR by week 7 like Jones is ever year.

54 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

uuuhhh yeah anywhere from 5 to 20% chance of re injury, and that's only after one.

So let's forget the ACL.

Between 2018 and 2021 how many season ending injuries did he have in those four years of college?

I read 5%.  I am not worried about it.  Hard luck is part of football.  He's also put together back to back injury free seasons, spectacular seasons.  He's the best QB in the draft, in my humble opinion of course, and while I get the injury concerns, I am also banking on a thorough examination by a lot of teams and if there are legitimate concerns, he'll obviously drop.  But he's the real deal talent wise.  And the Giants are a good fit, let him sit a year behind Jones and save the wear and tear on his body and get stronger.  

8 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

So let's forget the ACL.

I'm not sure those numbers hold true when its a top athlete, and a surgery performed by a top surgeon.

No clue who did Penix's surgery or about how severe his injury was, I'm just saying in general that my ACL repair as a 40 something weekend warrior, performed by the neighborhood ortho (which is mostly where those stats will come from, not a handful of top athletes), isn't the same thing as a heisman contending college football star. 

I'd want to take a close look at it, but I'm not scared off by a few surgeries. Not these days. Hell, give the guy a Tommy John and put another five yards on his deep ball. 

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

I'm not sure those numbers hold true when its a top athlete, and a surgery performed by a top surgeon.

No clue who did Penix's surgery or about how severe his injury was, I'm just saying in general that my ACL repair as a 40 something weekend warrior, performed by the neighborhood ortho (which is mostly where those stats will come from, not a handful of top athletes), isn't the same thing as a heisman contending college football star. 

I'd want to take a close look at it, but I'm not scared off by a few surgeries. Not these days. Hell, give the guy a Tommy John and put another five yards on his deep ball. 

One ACL tear sure I'd agree.

Four season ending injuries in college, two ACLs back to back on the same knee. 

There's a pattern.

Andrew Thomas had multiple ankle injuries in college, he's missed multiple games in the NFL because of his ankle. 

Injury history should be a concern for a QB because as we seen the NFL is getting really good at hitting QBs, especially with our Oline.

We went through three of them this year alone lol 

11 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

I would be upset it we opted for Nix instead of Penix.  And I don't dislike Nix, was on his bandwagon most of this year until i actually watched Washington and Oregon head to head.  

Penix is one of the best quarterbacks coming into the draft I have seen. 

Yep. Penix also seems like the kind of guy the Giants may regret not drafting. Watch him go off to like LV or Minnesota, who are in the market for QB's, and be great there. 

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

Yep. Penix also seems like the kind of guy the Giants may regret not drafting. Watch him go off to like LV or Minnesota, who are in the market for QB's, and be great there. 

It’s not just that a Penix has unreal arm talent, but he understands situations, has good pocket awareness, makes really good reads, is very accurate. In the couple games I watched, he had everything I want in a QB and he outplayed Nix head to head twice. It’ll be interesting to see him against truly elite competition against Michigan. 

7 hours ago, Dragon said:

Injuries aside, Penix is a lefty and I'd rather not be forced to move Thomas or have Neal protect a QB's blindside. Give me Maye or Daniels.

I love left handed people mang being one of them.  Also, if he throws from the other side it can cross up a lot of right handed people on first look.  They are big boys... let them switch sides or just learn how to block.  Guys like Stabler (Oakland Raiders QB who was left handed) won two Supes and made Madden famous with his throws.  Time for us to move on into the 21st Century.

16 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

I love left handed people mang being one of them.  Also, if he throws from the other side it can cross up a lot of right handed people on first look.  They are big boys... let them switch sides or just learn how to block.  Guys like Stabler (Oakland Raiders QB who was left handed) won two Supes and made Madden famous with his throws.  Time for us to move on into the 21st Century.

To me, him being a lefty isn't the issue. It's the issues him being a lefty would cause... if that makes any sense. Our OL is already sus on a good day and we'd be moving our best piece after 4+ years to accommodate him. Then again... removing Bobby Johnson from the equation could potentially improve everyone on the OL drastically so who knows? 

Im not sure Penix would want to come to the Giants behind this atrocious OL - or he is gonna want to have a hefty injury settlement in his rookie contract itself.

But from his highlights - he does look supremely talented. But the Giants might want him to sit behind Jones for a year, heal up and get in NFL shape - but I doubt Giants will go for anyone with an injury history and plus Im not even sure if these racist pricks want a black QB as the franchise QB.

7 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

Im not sure Penix would want to come to the Giants behind this atrocious OL - or he is gonna want to have a hefty injury settlement in his rookie contract itself.

But from his highlights - he does look supremely talented. But the Giants might want him to sit behind Jones for a year, heal up and get in NFL shape - but I doubt Giants will go for anyone with an injury history and plus Im not even sure if these racist pricks want a black QB as the franchise QB.

I see this "racist pricks" thing thrown around quite a bit but I don't understand it.  Jerry Reese and Marc Ross drove this franchise into the ground for a decade, Brandon Brown and Jesse Armstead both have high-ranking front office positions, and the Maras were one of the conduits behind the Rooney Rule. 

I know the Giants picked Daniel Jones over Dwayne Haskins, but that's because Haskins sucks (his own team dumped him after two seasons). Eli Manning was the consensus best QB the year he was drafted and was with the franchise for 15+ years.  All of the top QB that year were white;  what was the organization supposed to do, pass on a generational talent and hope Vince Young was on the board next year, or are they supposed to dump a two-time Super Bowl MVP so they can have a minority QB instead? 

Also, Brian Daboll was selected over Brian Flores because the latter is probably a fucking prick as evidenced by his behavior on the sidelines and the media both before and after his interview.  Other minority coaches they've interviewed (Romeo Crennel, Eric Bienemy) have not exactly lit it up once they've gone to new franchises.  Is it possible that they just weren't good candidates? 

The Giants are stupid in many, many ways... but discrimination and racism is not one of them.  This is a really dumb point of view.