SportsWrath

The countdown begins.

BlueInCanada

6 hours ago, The P said:

Really really hope we get something done.

Barkley is a special player and his production is NOT easy to replace. 

While I agree he is special from both a talent and attitude perspective, I think the idea is to diversify the offense...with an improved line and receiving corp, one could argue he's not as necessary or at least not as much a focal point.

There is a desire to move away from the opponents ability to "stop barkley, stop the giants" and I don't know that that is a bad thing.

10 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

While I agree he is special from both a talent and attitude perspective, I think the idea is to diversify the offense...with an improved line and receiving corp, one could argue he's not as necessary or at least not as much a focal point.

There is a desire to move away from the opponents ability to "stop barkley, stop the giants" and I don't know that that is a bad thing.

Barkley still being here can only help to do that.   Easier to get other guys involved if the whole defense is watching him.  

it’s why the Jones runs last season were so successful.   Without the threat of Barkley, he’s getting tackled behind the line on a lot of those. 

2 hours ago, The P said:

Barkley still being here can only help to do that.   Easier to get other guys involved if the whole defense is watching him.  

it’s why the Jones runs last season were so successful.   Without the threat of Barkley, he’s getting tackled behind the line on a lot of those. 

I don't disagree...just don't know that we need that bell cow.  I can see it both ways.

I want him to stay, but I can't imagine a way a long term deal gets done unless Saquon really drops his price.  The market just fell a part for him, and as special as he is even what we already offered would be overpaying.  

If its a 4 year deal, it would have to be front loaded, with the back end heavy on incentives or we will be badly overpaying in a couple years.  I just can't imagine a deal that would satisfy Saquon but still be realistic in the current market.  

1 hour ago, Virginia Giant said:

I want him to stay, but I can't imagine a way a long term deal gets done unless Saquon really drops his price.  The market just fell a part for him, and as special as he is even what we already offered would be overpaying.  

If its a 4 year deal, it would have to be front loaded, with the back end heavy on incentives or we will be badly overpaying in a couple years.  I just can't imagine a deal that would satisfy Saquon but still be realistic in the current market.  

Exactly.  Everything says that playing on tag this and next would guarantee 22 mil.  Top RBs are around 16 mil per I think.

Somewhere around 13 or 14 per should get it done...but who knows.

23 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

Exactly.  Everything says that playing on tag this and next would guarantee 22 mil.  Top RBs are around 16 mil per I think.

Somewhere around 13 or 14 per should get it done...but who knows.

RBs about to be making 7 million a year.

Punters and kickers may be making more soon enough lol 

Dude should take a page from Cousins. He played on, what, 2 tags in Washington? It's guaranteed money, all of it. Then he goes and gets an $86 million fully guaranteed contract?

He's using $100 bills for kindling in Minny. 

9 hours ago, BronxRik said:

Dude should take a page from Cousins. He played on, what, 2 tags in Washington? It's guaranteed money, all of it. Then he goes and gets an $86 million fully guaranteed contract?

I mean... if that were a viable option for a RB I'd agree with you. 2 more years of wear and tear on his body and he ain't getting shit. He needs to be secured now and Schoen needs to pay the man. 4 years $52-56M w/$30M guaranteed. Put the majority of the guaranteed money in the first 2 years, throw in some incentives for the tail end of the contract and maybe a void year to manipulate the cap. Play with a good soldier like Barkley and you show every free agent that you can't be trusted. 

13 hours ago, BronxRik said:

Looking like the two tags are his destiny whether he wants it or not.  Easier to bet on yourself at qb

16 hours ago, BronxRik said:

RBs don't have the longevity of a QB.   I don't think this applies.    I think he accepts a lower price and sign a long term deal.   

I get that RB's take more abuse and all the points made that go along with that, but my point was it's guaranteed money. The tag is $10 million this year and if they do it again next year that'll probably go up to, say $12 -$14 million maybe? That's $24 million fully guaranteed no bullshit attached. The top free agents this year were far below that. Average free agent is like $6 and I guarantee, Cook isn't going to get $24 million fully guaranteed. Neither is Hopkins while we're at it.

If we're being honest here, I'm not sold on either Barkley or Jones. Last season was great, but it's ONE season. Between injuries and poor talent around them neither of them has set the world on fire deserving of huge contracts. I'm seriously hoping we don't see the McAdoo effect come Daboll's sophomore year and watch $160 million go down the tubes. Personally I would have gone after Carr, grabbed a developmental QB in the draft and made a play for Hopkins and/or Cook. Maybe both. But whatever, this is what we have and I'm hoping we build on last year, proving I'm just a dumbass fan who knows absolutely nothing about this shit. 

Mostly I made the Cousins analogy because I wanted to use the "he's using $100 bills for kindling" line. 

You gotta wonder too, if this is all a PR job by the Giants.

It isn't a secret teams will start leaking whatever stories to their media contacts when they want to start rumblings of getting a player off the team.

This is almost a precursor to Barkley signing the cap and leaving the next year. 

A deadline's bearing down on Saquon Barkley and the New York Giants, but the Big Blue back isn't looking to reset the market.

Following reports Wednesday that Barkley was looking to be paid commensurate with San Francisco 49ers running back Christian McCaffrey, who earns a league-high $16.01 million per season, Barkley replied to a tweet with two caps -- signifying a lie.

NFL Network Insider Mike Garafolo reported on Wednesday's NFL Total Access that Barkley, who had the franchise tag applied to him in March, understands the running back marketplace and is not looking for a market-setting deal. Garafolo added, however, that Barkley and the Giants are no closer on a deal and had not spoken in the days leading up to this week.

All franchise-tagged players and their clubs have until 4 p.m. ET on Monday to work out a long-term pact.

If the parties cannot reach a deal, Barkley, who has yet to sign his franchise tender, will have to decide if he plays 2023 on the tag, making $10.1 million, or he sits out. Barkley won't be subject to fines for sitting out training camp because he's not signed.

Garafolo underscored that Giants quarterback Daniel Jones's contract extension came together quickly on March 7 with the club facing the deadline to tag players. Thus, it won't be time to panic until Monday afternoon.

Barkley and the Giants recommencing talks on June 20 was a constructive development in the aftermath of Barkley speaking out about “untruthful” and “misleading” reports of ongoing contract negotiations.

Taken No. 2 overall in the 2018 NFL Draft, Barkley took Gotham by storm with an Associated Press NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year campaign. The dynamic dual threat was ravaged by injuries thereafter, though. In 2022, Barkley finally rebounded with a sterling 1,300-yard, 10-touchdown showing that ushered him to his second Pro Bowl.

Regardless of whether Barkley was looking for CMC money, he's looking for a big pay pump in an awful RB market.

Currently, Barkley, the Dallas Cowboys' Tony Pollard and the Las Vegas Raiders' Josh Jacobs are staring at Monday's deadline, looking for extensions after they were tagged.

However, if they were to play on the $10.1 million tag, they'd each be set to make the seventh-highest RB annual salary in 2023.

In the coming days, things should heat up, but for now, the stalemate continues as the deadline draws closer.

https://www.nfl.com/news/saquon-barkley-not-seeking-market-setting-contract-from-giants

Still on the side that this goes down to the wire regardless of whether it's contentious or not. The issue here is that there are 2 other RBs on franchise tags as well and while I don't think Pollard is much of an issue, Jacobs def is. If Saquon's agent accepts ANY deal rn and the Raiders lose their collective minds and pay Jacobs like $18M/year or something, she's gonna look incompetent and she can't afford that. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the deal was damn near finished, but they were waiting to see if any other team caves on their deals. 

16 hours ago, BronxRik said:

I get that RB's take more abuse and all the points made that go along with that, but my point was it's guaranteed money. The tag is $10 million this year and if they do it again next year that'll probably go up to, say $12 -$14 million maybe? That's $24 million fully guaranteed no bullshit attached. The top free agents this year were far below that. Average free agent is like $6 and I guarantee, Cook isn't going to get $24 million fully guaranteed. Neither is Hopkins while we're at it.

If we're being honest here, I'm not sold on either Barkley or Jones. Last season was great, but it's ONE season. Between injuries and poor talent around them neither of them has set the world on fire deserving of huge contracts. I'm seriously hoping we don't see the McAdoo effect come Daboll's sophomore year and watch $160 million go down the tubes. Personally I would have gone after Carr, grabbed a developmental QB in the draft and made a play for Hopkins and/or Cook. Maybe both. But whatever, this is what we have and I'm hoping we build on last year, proving I'm just a dumbass fan who knows absolutely nothing about this shit. 

Mostly I made the Cousins analogy because I wanted to use the "he's using $100 bills for kindling" line. 

I agree with Rik... 55 years of Giants football and I see Jones and Barkley as good enough to get us to the playoffs.  They have not proved to me that they are good enough to win it all.  The days of Emmitt Smith the drugged up Broke Back are over.  These guys (RBs) shelf life, can be measured as 5-7 years if they are good.  Just too many multiple hits by guys who top out at 350 lbs.