SportsWrath

The countdown begins.

BlueInCanada

On 7/12/2023 at 8:17 PM, BronxRik said:

I get that RB's take more abuse and all the points made that go along with that, but my point was it's guaranteed money. The tag is $10 million this year and if they do it again next year that'll probably go up to, say $12 -$14 million maybe? That's $24 million fully guaranteed no bullshit attached. The top free agents this year were far below that. Average free agent is like $6 and I guarantee, Cook isn't going to get $24 million fully guaranteed. Neither is Hopkins while we're at it.

If we're being honest here, I'm not sold on either Barkley or Jones. Last season was great, but it's ONE season. Between injuries and poor talent around them neither of them has set the world on fire deserving of huge contracts. I'm seriously hoping we don't see the McAdoo effect come Daboll's sophomore year and watch $160 million go down the tubes. Personally I would have gone after Carr, grabbed a developmental QB in the draft and made a play for Hopkins and/or Cook. Maybe both. But whatever, this is what we have and I'm hoping we build on last year, proving I'm just a dumbass fan who knows absolutely nothing about this shit. 

Mostly I made the Cousins analogy because I wanted to use the "he's using $100 bills for kindling" line. 

While I understand your point of view, I don’t necessarily agree with it.   There’s something to be said about continuity, chemistry, and rewarding hard work.

DJ did everything he was asked to do and more.   Both he and Barkley have great locker room presence and represent the organization well.   I’m ok with the $160M DJ got; he’s earned it.

Barkley has the market working against him and his injury history adds a bit but not much.   I still think they come to terms so we can get move on.

On 7/12/2023 at 9:12 AM, Dragon said:

I mean... if that were a viable option for a RB I'd agree with you. 2 more years of wear and tear on his body and he ain't getting shit. He needs to be secured now and Schoen needs to pay the man. 4 years $52-56M w/$30M guaranteed. Put the majority of the guaranteed money in the first 2 years, throw in some incentives for the tail end of the contract and maybe a void year to manipulate the cap. Play with a good soldier like Barkley and you show every free agent that you can't be trusted. 

💯 

55 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

I think that 19m refers to the guaranteed portion over 2 years.

Meaning Schoen... knowing the value of the franchise tag over this year and next... decided to lowball Saquon. Idc how ppl feel about the value of the RB position... that was bs if true. 

1 hour ago, gmenroc said:

I think that 19m refers to the guaranteed portion over 2 years.

Oof if that's the case.

9.5 million a year is an insult even in their market.

Go sign the tag Saquan and go get your money elsewhere if this is true lol 

6 hours ago, Dragon said:

Meaning Schoen... knowing the value of the franchise tag over this year and next... decided to lowball Saquon. Idc how ppl feel about the value of the RB position... that was bs if true. 

6 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Oof if that's the case.

9.5 million a year is an insult even in their market.

Go sign the tag Saquan and go get your money elsewhere if this is true lol 

Again..offer could be much more than the guaranteed portion ..say 13-14mil per year over 3 or 4 years.  This is one of those situations where I am not faulting either side for coming to the table with heels dug in a bit.  Both have valid arguements for what they want

1 hour ago, gmenroc said:

Again..offer could be much more than the guaranteed portion ..say 13-14mil per year over 3 or 4 years.  This is one of those situations where I am not faulting either side for coming to the table with heels dug in a bit.  Both have valid arguements for what they want

I am def faulting someone. Even if the aav is $13-14M... if the best you can do on the guaranteed side is $3.5M less than a rookie deal (Bijan gettin $21.96M guaranteed on his rookie contract), I'd feel disrespected too especially if the report of the Giants wanting it to be a 3 year contract is true. That means Schoen isn't willing to commit more than a guaranteed $6.33M/year to a top 3-4 RB in the NFL and one of the primary reasons our QB is so damn effective at the play action and read option. 

The latest is that the contract is 4 years, 13-14 mill per year, 50% guaranteed. For what its worth, looks like Barkley will sign the contract just before the deadline - like Dimes. If that happens ill be stoked, the Giants 2 top leaders and the continuity along with the coaching and the coordinators is the best thing for this team.

And as Barkley's coach said - this is the best he has been since his rookie year and has the same zip, speed and cutting ability. Dude even went to Arizona to work out with the guys when technically if he was a bitch he could have stayed home. Pay the leader, pay the attitude, pay the character - PAY THE MAN!

But as someone said - if the retarded Raiders or Cowboys end up giving Pollard or Jacobs a market re-setting 18 mil etc - Barkley's agent will look stupid. But come on! 13mill - 18 mill - you guys are millionaires already! Just freaking sign.

He’s a great player who deserves his payday.   The fact RBs take a pounding more than any other player is an argument for a big payday.    I get the FO needs to manage the cap and there has to be a happy medium somewhere.   

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

Positional value shouldn't cause this much of a discrepancy between a top 5 RB in the NFL and a WR 2/3 on any given roster. 

As though I needed one more argument.  Pay the man!!!

4 hours ago, Dragon said:

Positional value shouldn't cause this much of a discrepancy between a top 5 RB in the NFL and a WR 2/3 on any given roster. 

Or he doesn't sign, sits out, makes 0, and ruins his career.

Giants are in much better shape in 2023 without Barkley than Barkley is without the Giants.

Say what you want about reality, but that's what it is.  Life isn't fair.

2 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Giants are in much better shape in 2023 without Barkley than Barkley is without the Giants.

While this is true, we're more likely to see DJ struggle without Barkley than with him, and then we've potentially wasted even more time and money as an organization. It's a simple fix. Stop lowballing and pay the fn man that's kept this organization even remotely relevant the past 5 years while we've been dicking around with a shitshow FO and even worse coaching staffs instead of acting like he ain't worth it now that we have some kind of competency in both regards. With the cap going up as astronomically as its projected to over the next 3-4 years (read $256M in 2024, $275M in 2025 and so on...) this should be a no-brainer, but everyone seems to think that paying Barkley will make us some kinda poverty stricken franchise and that's just asinine. 

9 hours ago, gmenroc said:

It’s fucking upsetting that Evan fucking Engram just signed a 3 year deal worth north of $41M.    Please stop this nonsense about the running back market… Barkley is far more than that.    I don’t care what other teams are doing… we need to take care of our own.  Pay the man.

I had a long conversation with some ppl while I was at work about this. Let's take Corey Davis and use him as an example here. He's averaging 656 yards from scrimmage and just under 3 TDs per year for his career with a big outlier year in 2020. Saquon even when including 2 injury riddled years is averaging 1200+ and just over 7 TDs. Ignore 2020 and 2021 and you have him averaging 1700+ and 11 TDs. Idc about anyone buzzwords (positional value)... there's no way you're gonna tell me Corey Davis is worth paying more than Saquon Barkley is.  

10 hours ago, Dragon said:

Stop lowballing and pay the fn man that's kept this organization even remotely relevant the past 5 years while we've been dicking around with a shitshow FO and even worse coaching staffs instead of acting like he ain't worth it now that we have some kind of competency in both regards. 

I like Barkley, but he's always injured. I'm not a fan of throwing bad money at good... he has a value, offer him his value, and if he refuses let him walk.  Dude's not a savior;  if he was we wouldn't have had losing seasons 4 out of the 5 years he's been here. 

20 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I like Barkley, but he's always injured. I'm not a fan of throwing bad money at good... he has a value, offer him his value, and if he refuses let him walk.  Dude's not a savior;  if he was we wouldn't have had losing seasons 4 out of the 5 years he's been here. 

You could say the same thing about Daniel Jones. 

26 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I do think Barkley is a guy who makes the rest of the team better and I don't think 12-13m per is out of the question given his ability and attitude and leadership..so blaming the losses on him is a bit unfair methinks.

That said, nobody is above the team and I trust the GM and coaches to keep the contract fair.  We were in bad shape due to foolish contracts handed out previously.  I don't want to be back in that hole.

I really think both sides have valid arguments on what they want.  

47 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

That’s not a fair assessment, Seph.   Didn’t we have the worst or near the worst OL in football?   

Someone please pull up the Youtube clip of Barkley’s run against the Eagles where all Joe Buck could say was “Incredible.. Incredible”.

Saquon catches the ball too… the list of #2 WRs making more snd fucking Evan butter hands Ingram making $41M+ over 3 years makes this argument ridiculous.

This is a passing league which means teams are focusing on DBs… Let them try to stop our running game.

Also I never hold a player being injured as a negative…. That’s part of the game.   You really expect a guy like Barkley (and even DJ) not to get hurt behind whatever OLs we’ve put in front of them?

18 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

I do think Barkley is a guy who makes the rest of the team better and I don't think 12-13m per is out of the question given his ability and attitude and leadership..so blaming the losses on him is a bit unfair methinks.

That said, nobody is above the team and I trust the GM and coaches to keep the contract fair.  We were in bad shape due to foolish contracts handed out previously.  I don't want to be back in that hole.

I really think both sides have valid arguments on what they want.  

Agreed on the cap management.   In this case however I don’t want the FO to get too cute.