SportsWrath

The countdown begins.

BlueInCanada

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I like Barkley, but he's always injured. I'm not a fan of throwing bad money at good... he has a value, offer him his value, and if he refuses let him walk.  Dude's not a savior;  if he was we wouldn't have had losing seasons 4 out of the 5 years he's been here. 

Only 1 season he's played less than 13 games and that's cause you can't play on a torn acl.

There... right there is the problem. He hasn't been offered his value. He's been offered LESS guaranteed money than the top rookie RB contract. That's less than the 2 franchise tags. Why would anyone take that?

Be serious. You don't even believe that. 

And again... in 3 years the cap is gonna be near $300M with only 1 of our key free agents coming up for a deal in that timespan. By the time guys like Neal and KT are up for new deals, a 4 year deal for Barkley will be over.

Shame really. 

Don't blame either side.

Barkley deserves to be paid like the difference maker he is, Schoen also deserves to be able to play the market which doesn't value RBs.

Wonder if he sticks around longer than next year since we will probably need to use it for McKinney. 

3 minutes ago, Herc said:

Of course he would’ve.  He drafts running backs second overall 

That's still not as bad as drafting Priest Holmes 4th overall when he was on IR.

Or taking Neil Rackers in the 3rd round. 

41 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Have to admit though, good to see a GM stick to his guns and not cave to albeit a franchise talent.

If Getty was still here Barkley would of signed a 3 year 95 million dollar extension months ago. 

without knowing what was offered and refused, I can’t say whether it was good to see the GM stick to his guns or not. 

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

Shame really. 

Don't blame either side.

Barkley deserves to be paid like the difference maker he is, Schoen also deserves to be able to play the market which doesn't value RBs.

Wonder if he sticks around longer than next year since we will probably need to use it for McKinney. 

I do blame the FO.   This is a generational talent.    It doesn't matter what the "market" says... it matters his contribution to the team.     

1 hour ago, BronxRik said:

That's still not as bad as drafting Priest Holmes 4th overall when he was on IR.

Or taking Neil Rackers in the 3rd round. 

Lol you need a pass on the first one. I don’t think they had the red letters next to their names back then

1 hour ago, Nas said:

I do blame the FO.   This is a generational talent.    It doesn't matter what the "market" says... it matters his contribution to the team.     

While true he is awesome, the GM has a job to do too.  And I am good with Barkley playing on the tag if it means saving money for guys like McKinney who will be more expensive than Barkley.

Again...can't be pissed at either side.  Both have valid arguments.  I lean 60/40 in favor of Shoen here...

The Giants didn’t budge off an offer of $11 million per year with a guarantee slightly north of $22 million even though it was within $1 million to $2 million on both ends of Barkley’s reduced asking price, sources told The Post.

The numbers are close enough that common ground seems easy to find with incentives over the first two years, but both sides felt that they already had given as much as they could.

Barkley, 26, previously turned down a contract worth $13 million per year with $19.5 million guaranteed, sources said, because he is guaranteed $22.2 million if he plays on back-to-back tags in 2023 and 2024.

Multiple independent agents described $19.5 million as a non-starter.

Barkley is expected to be at the Exos training facility when the Giants open camp July 26 to both protect his body against the physical toll of practice and send a message of discontent, but he could drag his signing into the regular season if he is willing to miss weekly paychecks.

https://nypost.com/2023/07/17/saquon-barkley-giants-cant-reach-deal-ahead-of-contract-deadline/

1 minute ago, The P said:

The Giants didn’t budge off an offer of $11 million per year with a guarantee slightly north of $22 million even though it was within $1 million to $2 million on both ends of Barkley’s reduced asking price, sources told The Post.

The numbers are close enough that common ground seems easy to find with incentives over the first two years, but both sides felt that they already had given as much as they could.

Barkley, 26, previously turned down a contract worth $13 million per year with $19.5 million guaranteed, sources said, because he is guaranteed $22.2 million if he plays on back-to-back tags in 2023 and 2024.

Multiple independent agents described $19.5 million as a non-starter.

Barkley is expected to be at the Exos training facility when the Giants open camp July 26 to both protect his body against the physical toll of practice and send a message of discontent, but he could drag his signing into the regular season if he is willing to miss weekly paychecks.

https://nypost.com/2023/07/17/saquon-barkley-giants-cant-reach-deal-ahead-of-contract-deadline/

Who's the source? 

First I've heard of this 11 per year. 

Blame the league. It’sa Shame the rb position has gone so undervalued. My childhood memories are built around guys like Barry sanders, Emmit smith, Thurman Thomas, etc. wouldn’t be the same and not sure the nfl without those types of players is fun. But as a Gm you can’t break a trend like this and be stuck with a huge contract for a position the league isn’t paying like that. While they’re paying other positions we suddenly can’t afford. It sucks, and honestly I think Saquon and Jacob’s are doing the right thing. They just don’t have much leverage. 

21 minutes ago, The P said:

Well... Daboll's bonehead move last year was Adoree Jackson on punt returns. Guess Schoen needed to match his stupidity once. Still sure he was the right choice for GM but that doesn't mean I'm gonna agree with every move he makes. This was stupid. And all over $2M. 

7 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

Blame the league. It’sa Shame the rb position has gone so undervalued. My childhood memories are built around guys like Barry sanders, Emmit smith, Thurman Thomas, etc. wouldn’t be the same and not sure the nfl without those types of players is fun. But as a Gm you can’t break a trend like this and be stuck with a huge contract for a position the league isn’t paying like that. While they’re paying other positions we suddenly can’t afford. It sucks, and honestly I think Saquon and Jacob’s are doing the right thing. They just don’t have much leverage. 

If $2m increases on the aav and guarantees are breaking the bank when the cap is going up over $50m in the next 2 years idk what to say about this situation anymore.