SportsWrath

The countdown begins.

BlueInCanada

1 hour ago, The P said:

We should all be able to agree he deserves to be paid more than Evan Engram. 

Yes I agree the top 5 RBs in the NFL should be making more money than rookies this year.

But that isn't a Barkley problem, it's a NFL problem. 

If anything Barkley should convince the team to convert him to WR lol 

I'm starting to wonder too if Barkley doesn't trust his own body. It seems like he may be trying to milk this contract for everything he can because he doesn't think he'll be getting another one in three years.

The issue is more of the fact team can control 7 years of a player without any real negotiation and the player can't do much besides sit out and hurt his career.

4 year rookie wage scale was a great start with the fifth year option that a team can sign. 

But then two years of tags and that's an entire RBs career practically in the NFL.

Barkley is just a product of a declining market couple with this fact. 

It's a shame really because he should be making close to 15+ million in terms of difference making and win differential with him on the field.

A number RBs should be making that, but I doubt we ever see it again with how pass happy the league is.

8 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I'm starting to wonder too if Barkley doesn't trust his own body. It seems like he may be trying to milk this contract for everything he can because he doesn't think he'll be getting another one in three years.

Probably, but any 6th year rb should approach it that way.  Todd gurley is 28 years old 

6 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I wouldn’t describe it that way, the giants and him were only 1-2 million apart.  And Barkley had come down on his asking price. 

2 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Yes I agree the top 5 RBs in the NFL should be making more money than rookies this year.

But that isn't a Barkley problem, it's a NFL problem. 

If anything Barkley should convince the team to convert him to WR lol 

It is not even an NFL problem...  it is a football problem.      Kids coming out of highschool who are looking at the dream of a shot at the NFL at some point are not playing RB in college.   The fastest and strongest kids are now playing WR or QB.  

Just now, GorillaNJ said:

It is not even an NFL problem...  it is a football problem.      Kids coming out of highschool who are looking at the dream of a shot at the NFL at some point are not playing RB in college.   The fastest and strongest kids are now playing WR or QB.  

That’s on the coaches though right?  Kids don’t get to demand what position they play.  

6 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

All of it is just speculation but if he did think his body was failing him you would think he would sign a three year deal asap. 

He'd be getting the same amount as per the tag situation plus a third year.

If he gets hurt now there's zero chance he gets another tag or even a contract like this again. 

Just now, The P said:

That’s on the coaches though right?  Kids don’t get to demand what position they play.  

Not for the top players...   some 5 star recruit says he wants to be a WR he's going to be a WR for your team or for another.

3 minutes ago, GorillaNJ said:

Which makes sense.

"Come be a RB where you'll be lucky to reach year 10 and get paid like a kicker"

No kid is going to do it, or they'll look for opportunities elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, Herc said:

I saw a suggestion that they should roll rb/te/wr into one blended tag and I think that’d resolve a lot of problems.  

That is actually a pretty great idea, but you would have to get the Wr's to let their tag number come down

1 minute ago, GorillaNJ said:

Not for the top players...   some 5 star recruit says he wants to be a WR he's going to be a WR for your team or for another.

Well if the guys a 5 star recruit as a WR, why wouldn’t you want him to play WR?

Plus you have guys now who are so athletic they can pay WR/RB with no issue really.

Why pay a top RB when your ot WR can get the job done and backup or two. 

It's just how the game evolved.

Look at FBs there's what? Maybe 10 left? And even then they are usually back up TEs. 

Just now, The P said:

Well if the guys a 5 star recruit as a WR, why wouldn’t you want him to play WR?

That kid 10 years ago would have been a 5 star recruit as an RB because that is where you were putting your fastest and strongest athletes 

Just now, GorillaNJ said:

That kid 10 years ago would have been a 5 star recruit as an RB because that is where you were putting your fastest and strongest athletes 

ok so it’s the high school coaches then?  

Just now, The P said:

I think any 5 star.player can play wherever they fit best.

From my understanding it's more about athletics for star ratings then specific play at a position.  

1 minute ago, BlueInCanada said:

I don't think that was ever a debate really.  

I guess some people seemingly blaming Barkley for not signing the deal led me to believe people didn’t think he deserved more.

if everyone agrees he deserves more, than fuck, pay him more. 

Just now, BlueInCanada said:

Barkley should be making 15-20 million a year.

But he will never get it in the NFL today. 

Like I said the NFL or NFLPA need to figure something out. 

Nothing really needs to be figured out, the nfl doesn’t have to change anything for the giants to pay Barkley more.    In fact, paying Barkely more, would probably help that change. 

2 minutes ago, The P said:

I guess some people seemingly blaming Barkley for not signing the deal led me to believe people didn’t think he deserved more.

if everyone agrees he deserves more, than fuck, pay him more. 

I just think he gambled on beating the market/NFL.

And you never gamble against the NFL lol 

That what I "blame" him for. 

I want nothing more than Barkley to retire a Giant but I also understand the Giants not going against the market right now and letting it play out.

3 minutes ago, The P said:

Nothing really needs to be figured out, the nfl doesn’t have to change anything for the giants to pay Barkley more.    In fact, paying Barkely more, would probably help that change. 

But that's how you end up in a Watson/Brown situation.