SportsWrath

Baker to the Panthers

gmenroc

I mean your team trades three first round picks and gives  "Mr.Rub and Tug" a fully guaranteed 250 million, your either a bad QB or the team is just bad.

In this case it's probably both lol 

Also still waiting to see if Watson is going to be suspended.

Plus it's a "conditional" pick. You're telling me we couldn't have come up with a "conditional" 2023 4th? He also took a $3.5 million pay cut. I think we could have groomed him into something special with Daboll. 

1 hour ago, BronxRik said:

Plus it's a "conditional" pick. You're telling me we couldn't have come up with a "conditional" 2023 4th? He also took a $3.5 million pay cut. I think we could have groomed him into something special with Daboll. 

First time HCs don't want retreds.

They want their own QB they scouted. 

It's almost a guarantee we are going QB round one next year unless Jones has a Allen like progression. 

I wouldn't have wanted Baker for any cost given it is Jones or bust this year...but was surprised the cost was that low.

And agreed, if Jones doesn't pan out, it's definitely a rookie in 2023 draft and that rookie will start week 1 of 2023 season...because if he doesn't, it immediately devalues the selection.

5 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

First time HCs don't want retreds.

They want their own QB they scouted. 

It's almost a guarantee we are going QB round one next year unless Jones has a Allen like progression. 

I get that, but a conditional fifth 2 years from now for a former #1? It's laughable. And the Panthers are only paying him like $5 million. Could've brought him here and let him and Tyrod battle it out for 2nd string. Hell, throw all 3 in the mix and best player starts. 

I dunno, seemed to me the guy wasn't THAT  bad in Cleveland, at least not bad enough where a change of scenery wouldn't give him a jump start. Plus he got the Browns on the + side of the win column...more than Jones has done so far. 

8 hours ago, BronxRik said:

I get that, but a conditional fifth 2 years from now for a former #1? It's laughable. And the Panthers are only paying him like $5 million. Could've brought him here and let him and Tyrod battle it out for 2nd string. Hell, throw all 3 in the mix and best player starts. 

I dunno, seemed to me the guy wasn't THAT  bad in Cleveland, at least not bad enough where a change of scenery wouldn't give him a jump start. Plus he got the Browns on the + side of the win column...more than Jones has done so far. 

That's true as well.

He would of been cheap to atleast compete with Tyrod. 

At the same time we will see what he does in Carolina, all those reports saying his shoulder is done, guess we'll see if it's true or not if he can beat out Wonder Boy Darnold.

8 hours ago, gmenroc said:

I wouldn't have wanted Baker for any cost given it is Jones or bust this year...but was surprised the cost was that low.

And agreed, if Jones doesn't pan out, it's definitely a rookie in 2023 draft and that rookie will start week 1 of 2023 season...because if he doesn't, it immediately devalues the selection.

Not necessarily.

If he's inside the top 5/10 sure it usually means he's starting day one but I think the Giants string together 5 or 6 wins this season maybe 7 with some lucky breaks.

Means we are picking in the teens, and with Tyrod on a two year deal there's no reason to rush a QB into a situation that will hurt him....such as Jones lol 

I think its a hard pass on Mayfield for me. A mere 5th makes it marginally enticing, but remember this guy wasn't the first overall pick because he had first overall pick talent and skills, he only had first overall 'competitiveness and drive'. You hear first overall pick and you're picturing Andrew Luck or Matt Stafford, but Mayfield isn't remotely like those guys, there isn't anything on that level to 'salvage' there. 

10 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Not necessarily.

If he's inside the top 5/10 sure it usually means he's starting day one but I think the Giants string together 5 or 6 wins this season maybe 7 with some lucky breaks.

Means we are picking in the teens, and with Tyrod on a two year deal there's no reason to rush a QB into a situation that will hurt him....such as Jones lol 

I dunno...I just think that any first rounder should be an immediate on field contributor.  Maybe that's too high an expectation.  Maybe that's different for QBs...but with colleges running pro systems anymore, just seems like guys are more prepared than ever...or at least they have fewer excuses not to be these days.

15 hours ago, BronxRik said:

I could not really understand why he went so cheap...   I mean the Panthers had themselves in a bit of a shit situation and everyone knew that they had to unload Mayfield since they signed the rapist.    

I am not sure he is anything better than Jones to groom    https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/stats/baker-mayfield-daniel-jones.php

16 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

I dunno...I just think that any first rounder should be an immediate on field contributor.  Maybe that's too high an expectation.  Maybe that's different for QBs...but with colleges running pro systems anymore, just seems like guys are more prepared than ever...or at least they have fewer excuses not to be these days.

I guess it depends on the position and the school they come from. DBs are a position that take a couple years to see an impact from, WRs tend to get better in year two as well. 

Many college QBs don't run a pro style offense anymore, it's all single look RPO shotgun spread style. Make one read if defender A is doing this, pass here, if defender A does this, give it to the RB. If nothing is there scramble. 

They don't have to analyze a defense anymore, or go through read progressions. It's why it baffled me a guy like Trey Lance went round 1, all he did in college was run that single look RPO nonsense. 

But I do agree typically if you are picking inside the top 10 you are a shitty team so the rookie is probably going to be one of the more talented players now on the team, so they should be starting day one type of thing. 

9 hours ago, BronxRik said:

I think this year is about keeping the drama and media circus too a minimum while they rebuild.  Makes sense for the panthers, less so for the giants. This year is about evaluating of jobs is the guy, if Barkley can produce, AB’s getting money off the books for next year. 

It’s a pretty solid move.  I’m not super sold on baker but he was def playing hurt and getting the first and third picks from that draft at low cost and hoping the pedigree comes through with an even younger qb in the 3 spot is a nice way to play this if you dont have a guy yet.  

On 7/6/2022 at 3:45 PM, BlueInCanada said:

I mean your team trades three first round picks and gives  "Mr.Rub and Tug" a fully guaranteed 250 million, your either a bad QB or the team is just bad.

In this case it's probably both lol 

Also still waiting to see if Watson is going to be suspended.

The great irony is that the Browns famously said that they didn't like Mayfield because they wanted "an adult in the room" but their idea of an adult is someone with 57 sexual assault charges. 

16 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

The great irony is that the Browns famously said that they didn't like Mayfield because they wanted "an adult in the room" but their idea of an adult is someone with 57 sexual assault charges. 

are the browns republicans?

that would make this make sense. 

23 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

But they asked their wives and daughters if it was alright and they all said it was, therefore checkmate woke culture. 

On 7/7/2022 at 8:14 AM, BlueInCanada said:

I guess it depends on the position and the school they come from. DBs are a position that take a couple years to see an impact from, WRs tend to get better in year two as well. 

Many college QBs don't run a pro style offense anymore, it's all single look RPO shotgun spread style. Make one read if defender A is doing this, pass here, if defender A does this, give it to the RB. If nothing is there scramble. 

They don't have to analyze a defense anymore, or go through read progressions. It's why it baffled me a guy like Trey Lance went round 1, all he did in college was run that single look RPO nonsense. 

But I do agree typically if you are picking inside the top 10 you are a shitty team so the rookie is probably going to be one of the more talented players now on the team, so they should be starting day one type of thing. 

Dude I'm so with you on Trey Lance. Yes he has the measurables but he played something like division III ball and had one good season. You take second round flyers on those guys, you don't draft them in the top 3 because "it worked for Carson Wentz."