SportsWrath

Fuck it trade for firsts.

BlueInCanada

I want KT the stud edge rusher, I want Sause the best man cover guy in the draft and I want Cross. 

KT at 5.

Gardner at 7 

And trade up to mid teens by trading this year's 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6rh, and 3rd next year and get our starting best pass protecting RT in Cross. 

That way we don't have so many rookies to sign because we can't even afford half of them anyways and we get three starters at massive positions of need. 

I think we're definitely trading the number 5 pick.  There are a lot of teams surrounding our picks that all of a sudden need a QB, and the Saints are out there with two first round picks now this year.  I predict Saints make a move to number 5. 

I know there are a lot of interesting players out there, edge rushers, dbacks.  But the glaring weakness has been offensive line for years.  We have got to make a considerable investment into the offensive line this year at the top of the draft.  

Trade number 5 to the Saints for their 2 picks (plus whatever else).  Take the best RT available at 7, and then take at least one interior olineman at 16 or 19.

2 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

I think we're definitely trading the number 5 pick.  There are a lot of teams surrounding our picks that all of a sudden need a QB, and the Saints are out there with two first round picks now this year.  I predict Saints make a move to number 5. 

I know there are a lot of interesting players out there, edge rushers, dbacks.  But the glaring weakness has been offensive line for years.  We have got to make a considerable investment into the offensive line this year at the top of the draft.  

Trade number 5 to the Saints for their 2 picks (plus whatever else).  Take the best RT available at 7, and then take at least one interior olineman at 16 or 19.

Smart.

6 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

4 hours ago, Nas said:

Smart.

I agree with Virginia here.  Early love for the offensive line and another early pick for the line.  We need two top shelf line picks this draft as far as I am concerned.

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

How is Cross a project? Everything I'm reading says he's one of the most technically sound. Maybe body type he's not ready?

Yeah, that is my reading of it too. Younger prospect, still kind of tall and skinny. 

And I don't like the lack of tenacity Cross displays. 

41 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Also lots of indications that Ewkonu might be less pro-ready than some other 1st round lineman, at least at tackle.

Still sounds okay to me, his measurables are top shelf, and lack of tenacity definitely isn't his issue. Good fit at RT or G.

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

How is Cross a project? Everything I'm reading says he's one of the most technically sound. Maybe body type he's not ready?

Like CD says, he's tall and skinny.  Every video I see where he "wins the rep," half the time the defender isn't even trying... the other half he's pushed into the QBs lap right at the release. 

He looks to me like a guy that will be a top-shelf LT in his third or fourth season, but we don't really have that luxury. 

Ekwonu on the other hand has the size, the strength, the "want it," and the athleticism, but needs a little technique work.  Normally that might scare me, but the dude had two Ivy League offers;  he's a smart motherfucker, he'll get the technique. 

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Yeah, that is my reading of it too. Younger prospect, still kind of tall and skinny. 

And I don't like the lack of tenacity Cross displays. 

Still sounds okay to me, his measurables are top shelf, and lack of tenacity definitely isn't his issue. Good fit at RT or G.

Say that to his face.    :ph34r:

Honestly I'd be fine with either of these three OL we're talking about, and then any combination of either Sauce Gardner, Travon Walker, Thibadeaux, or Kyle Hamilton.

Alternatively, rumor is the Saints may want to move up, so I'd take the #16 and #19 picks for the #7 and instead draft Tyler Linderbaum and the next best player available (maybe Nakobe Dean or Devin Lloyd).

Honestly I'd be fine with either of these three OL we're talking about, and then any combination of either Sauce Gardner, Travon Walker, Thibadeaux, or Kyle Hamilton.

Alternatively, rumor is the Saints may want to move up, so I'd take the #16 and #19 picks for the #7 and instead draft Tyler Linderbaum and the next best player available (maybe Nakobe Dean or Devin Lloyd).

Oooh I'd jump out of my chair for Lloyd in the teens or later.

No joke, I had a dream last night that the Giants didn't draft an OL in the 1st round. I woke up really upset.

I really have to get a hobby other than nerding out of the NFL draft, lol.

lol

14 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

He's another guy that I look at on tape and don't get it. He's an ok prospect but nothing special. 

super productive, quality measurables.... I think the only hole in his game is taking on blockers.

it is a pretty big hole....

8 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

super productive, quality measurables.... I think the only hole in his game is taking on blockers.

it is a pretty big hole....

When I watch his film I see much more Jamin Davis than Micah Parsons. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a good player... but more of a B, B+ kinda guy. First round seems too early for him (top ten is definitely too high as I've seen in some mocks). 

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

When I watch his film I see much more Jamin Davis than Micah Parsons. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a good player... but more of a B, B+ kinda guy. First round seems too early for him (top ten is definitely too high as I've seen in some mocks). 

Yeah Nakobe Dean might be the better of the two. Lloyd is sort of like Blake Martinez. He's not going to blow you away or make the pro bowl or anything, but will be a solid starting MLB in this league.

28 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Sheeeeit. Where do I sign up?  

who’s the last b+ guy we’ve drafted in the second half of the first round?  Justin Pugh?  

35 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

Sheeeeit. Where do I sign up?  

who’s the last b+ guy we’ve drafted in the second half of the first round?  Justin Pugh?  

If it's a Blake Martinez type player, i.e. a solid, consistent starter and fixture on defense in this league, drafted in picks 15-32, sign me up as well. 

Also, I hate to compare anecdotally like this, but look at all the negative stuff people said about Tremaine Edmunds (drafted #16 in 2018), who turned out to be a pro bowler.

Weaknesses
  • Instincts are average and relies on athletic gifts
  • Can be a step slow to diagnose
  • Lured by misdirection
  • Will take random downhill paths that trap him in the quagmire
  • Patience is lacking
  • Races ahead of plays and voids his leverage and run fits at times
  • Needs to add more upper and lower body strength
  • Average base strength and high center of gravity create issues holding up at the point of attack
  • Needs to be quicker to punch in order to maintain clearance
  • Mental busts in man coverage hurt his team
  • Takes time to process moving pieces

Yeah Nakobe Dean might be the better of the two. Lloyd is sort of like Blake Martinez. He's not going to blow you away or make the pro bowl or anything, but will be a solid starting MLB in this league.

I was higher on Dean until I came to understand he was playing with like seven other first round talents on that Georgia D. I may be wrong about Dean, but there's a long history of interior linebackers who look like world beaters so long as they're playing without offensive linemen in their faces.