SportsWrath

2022 NFL Draft

gmenroc

Might as well start the discussion now.

Owning 5th and 6th overall...trade up from 5 to ensure either Hutchinson or Thibadeuax.  Trade back a few spots from 6, but ensure Lindenbaum is there.

Getting the center and a pass rusher would be great first steps given no QB is worth a damn this year.

1 hour ago, gmenroc said:

Might as well start the discussion now.

Owning 5th and 6th overall...trade up from 5 to ensure either Hutchinson or Thibadeuax.  Trade back a few spots from 6, but ensure Lindenbaum is there.

Getting the center and a pass rusher would be great first steps given no QB is worth a damn this year.

I don't want a QB in 2022 or 2023 for that matter.   We should be laser focused on building the lines... we do have a QB in DJ and a RB in Barkley... if they're still not producing with a good OL, then we can look at QBs.    It doesn't matter who you have behind our current OL, they will suck.  

1 hour ago, Nas said:

I don't want a QB in 2022 or 2023 for that matter.   We should be laser focused on building the lines... we do have a QB in DJ and a RB in Barkley... if they're still not producing with a good OL, then we can look at QBs.    It doesn't matter who you have behind our current OL, they will suck.  

We might need a new QB. We need a pass rusher with one of those picks as well. I don't know if there any vets out there though. IDK

I am hoping for good news with Jones, but it would be unfortunate for him and the franchise if he had to retire. I hope they just shut him down for the year and go into tank mode. 

6 minutes ago, jranieli said:

We might need a new QB. We need a pass rusher with one of those picks as well. I don't know if there any vets out there though. IDK

I am hoping for good news with Jones, but it would be unfortunate for him and the franchise if he had to retire. I hope they just shut him down for the year and go into tank mode. 

the good thing and sad thing is, we can start him and still be in tank mode. 

2 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

the good thing and sad thing is, we can start him and still be in tank mode. 

But we have a higher percentage of winning with a healthy Jones. It's a low number, but we got fucked two years in a row on draft picks because they decided to win a meaningless game. 

1 minute ago, jranieli said:

But we have a higher percentage of winning with a healthy Jones. It's a low number, but we got fucked two years in a row on draft picks because they decided to win a meaningless game. 

I wonder if the people who called Coughlin an asshole for it, do the same for Judge.  

47 minutes ago, jranieli said:

Are there any solid QBs in the draft?  From what I gather this draft isn't that deep in QBs... certainly no one that can be better than DJ.    I'm still hopeful DJ does great with a great OL.   

8 minutes ago, Herc said:

Not to be too much of an alarmist but let’s see if we even have him next year 

Wow.   That's fucking brutal... I don't give a fuck about football at this point.  I hope the kid is ok and stays ok even if that means he retires from the game.   

5 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Get that center he's gonna be the next generational guy.

Then take a running QB or a WR. 

Have you learned nothing? You're telling me, knowing this OLINE and DLINE can't protect or rush a QB, and you still want a WR? 

:doh:

I like one idea I saw earlier about simply drafting another Offensive Tackle and a Center with our two first round picks.  Now if you are getting all excited about a player being called a generational talent then you haven't learned anything in the last couple of years.  I'm not interested in moving up for anyone, lets get two top 10 first round players.

Ikem Ekwonu/Evan Neal and Tyler Linderbaum

I'm also very tempted with getting a Linebacker because outside of Martinez we have Crowder who looks good because everyone else is worse.  He reminds me of Chase Blackburn.

Gonna wait to do a deep dive on draft prospects till the offseason, but literally every position on the team is worth a look, and we should be trading down as much as possible to build draft capital for 2023, when the QB class should be much better. 

In the meantime, here are some guys we should look at trading to free up cap space since right now we have something like 600k in space: 

Saquon Barkley - 7.2 million gained.  No dead cap

Kyle Rudolph - 5 million gained, 2.5 dead cap hit

James Bradberry - 12.1 million gained, 9.1 million dead cap

Blake Martinez - 8.5 million gained, 5 million dead cap (love the guy but he's only signed through next year anyway and ACL is a two-year recovery, typically)

I'd ask for no less than a 3rd for Barkley or Bradberry (Bradberry I'd be cool with a 4th for as well), cut the other two guys.   Unfortunately the Sterling Shepards and Kenny Golladays are in an upside-down dead cap situation where we'd have to pay to get rid of them, so we're stuck with those guys for now... but this frees up 30.5 million in cap room.  With that 30 million, I'd go hard after the following two players:

LB Hassan Reddick - 3 years, 45 million

G Laken Tomlinson - 3 years, 35 million

The rest of the holes are going to have to be filled with bit players and through the draft, but we can get the same production out of the guys we're cutting out of scrubs and late-round picks (assuming Martinez is done).