SportsWrath

2022 NFL Draft

gmenroc

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Giants strength of schedule this season was kinda ridiculous. All else being equal, it explains the drop from six to four wins.

I didn't see it that way at all.  If the Giants were an average team, they should have started off the season 3-0... instead we immediately lost to three sub-.500 teams.  It was pretty obvious then we were a bottom-feeder;  it didn't really matter who the teams we were up against were. 

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Fucking brilliant breaking of the fourth wall Seph.

C. Wagon

Thanks Chuck... I'm like the Kool-Aid Man of terrible narratives. 

42 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I didn't see it that way at all.  If the Giants were an average team, they should have started off the season 3-0... instead we immediately lost to three sub-.500 teams.  It was pretty obvious then we were a bottom-feeder;  it didn't really matter who the teams we were up against were. 

I didn't think it was either, but their opposing SOS this year was something like .525. Last year was about the inverse of that, .475. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 6:41 PM, gmenroc said:

I'll take 2 of 3 in Lindenbaum, Neal, and Green with 5rh and 7th.

Ride with Jones and Saquan in 2022/23.  Do not pick up Jones option

Neal is going to drop I think before the draft.  Bad feet, terrible balance, on the ground WAY too much for a top-5 pick.  He's not that good and needs a lot of work. 

1 minute ago, CrazedDogs said:

my first impression of Neal was Mekhi Becton.

Becton's hands and (especially) feet were light years ahead of Neal.  Honestly I have no idea where the love for this guy comes from. Watch video of him;  he's a lunger who's gotten away with being huge and strong his entire college career.  That won't work in the pros. 

Of course, I thought Wirfs was going to be the worst of that tackle bunch too so what do I know. 

I'd be equally happy with Ekwonu from what I've read.  

Either way, Linderbaum at 5 and best tackle available at 7.

This, unless Thibedeaux or Hutchison somehow fall to 5.  If that happens, then you take the pass rusher at 5 and Linderbaum at 7....or trade back to someone who is in love with the pass rusher.

3 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Becton's hands and (especially) feet were light years ahead of Neal.  Honestly I have no idea where the love for this guy comes from. Watch video of him;  he's a lunger who's gotten away with being huge and strong his entire college career.  That won't work in the pros. 

Of course, I thought Wirfs was going to be the worst of that tackle bunch too so what do I know. 

If he doesn't stack with Becton from a technique standpoint, no clue why Neal is in the first round discussion. Oversized tackle prospects with nothing else going for them are third round picks.

17 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

If he doesn't stack with Becton from a technique standpoint, no clue why Neal is in the first round discussion. Oversized tackle prospects with nothing else going for them are third round picks.

One word....Alabama.  National championships, pro level offense, etc.  Combine will answer a lot of questions with Neal

49 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

Honestly, he looks like a third round pick. 

It's weird too... he doesn't pass the eye test to me, then when you read write-ups about him they're like, "not very good lateral agility" and "waist-bender that has a tendency to lunge and lose his balance." 

The same articles are like, "CAN'T MISS SUREFIRE ALL-PRO HALL OF FAMER!"

I honestly don't think some of these draft guys know what the fuck they're talking about... reminds me of "Davonte Smith, Jaylen Waddle, and Najee Harris are amazing deep threats... also Mac Jones can't throw the deep ball." bullshit we kept hearing last offseason.  Neal looks like a developmental project/Ereck Flowers type to me. 

Finding film on the guy is almost impossible... but here is one of his "highlight" videos.  He's on the ground in the second clip. 

Vs. Notre Dame in the Rose Bowl.  Honestly looks pretty decent here. 

There was one I found at left tackle that's been taken down where he looks flat-out bad. 

Don't know if it's their scheme...but he alwys seems to take the outside guy letting the RB or someone else take anyone looping inside.  Might prove to be issue against defenses running a stunt.  Could be rush to judgment given it's first video of Neal I watched

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Neal has hurt himself by not participating...I expect Ekronu to pass him.  It's like Neal is hiding something.

I know he is protecting his own health and will still be top 10 likely, but justs sours his status a bit in my book.

Like skipping an interview and relying solely on your college classwork...

Also...Christian Watson was a guy I was hoping for in the 3rd...just tested himself into top 2nd maybe 1st.  

6'4, 208...sub 4.4 in 40...good hands...was just a smaller school product

But who knows...lots of good WRs and TEs....was also high on McBride at TE...but others have made names for themselves at this point.

38 minutes ago, mastershake said:

What about Bo Melton. Local kid, WR from Rutgers. Ran a 4.34 40. 

I realize the 40 yard dash isn't everything, but he was also a very skilled receiver, good route runner as well. 

He had been considered a late round pick, but now maybe 3rd or 4th round?

Watson's size speed combo was intriguing to me.  Only concern I had was hands and route running.  Not sure of what Melton has in terms of size and hands.

40 isn't everything, but when you are a big target and can still move...well, it tends to carry a little more weight, no pun intended