SportsWrath

Giants name Gettlemen new GM

Nas

I think it is a great first step forward for the organization. Would like to see him interact with the media more than Reese did and look forward to Gettleman's selection of the next New York Giants head coach.

Yes its a great hire...

But why? For someone who doesn't know him that well, why is he a great hire?

I am reading that he does anyhting it takes to win, even if that means not giving a damn about the loved vets (let's be real, sometimes vets are paid and loved and just washed up...time to let go).

To me, that seems amazing, but I just see a lot of people saying how conservative this is. It seems like his draft record is drafting 16 players for the Panthers and 13 of them are still starting for them, which is a great sign as well.

I think it is a great first step forward for the organization. Would like to see him interact with the media more than Reese did and look forward to Gettleman's selection of the next New York Giants head coach.

Steve Wilks? You think he'd go and do that?

But why? For someone who doesn't know him that well, why is he a great hire?

I am reading that he does anyhting it takes to win, even if that means not giving a damn about the loved vets (let's be real, sometimes vets are paid and loved and just washed up...time to let go).

To me, that seems amazing, but I just see a lot of people saying how conservative this is. It seems like his draft record is drafting 16 players for the Panthers and 13 of them are still starting for them, which is a great sign as well.

Well you can say he may have learned from those mistakes if they were mistakes at all... maybe some vets start to feel theyre above the rules and need to be reigned in.

Theyre familiar with him and he built a Super Bowl team around a guy who is such a good passer that all he does is run it himself when hes in the red zone. I dont see a problem with this hire at all

To be fair he inherited the core of the team from the previous GM.

His biggest success was that DT Short? And Benjamin, and cutting a lot of bloated contracts from the team.

He didnt draft keuchly or Norman but he inherited a 2-14 team with a disaster salary cap situation. Hurney was signing rbs to huge contracts two at a time. It was a big mess.

He plugged holes with Kurt Coleman, Jared Allen, oher, ginn, ball.

Drafted funchess, Thompson, lotolelei, ealy.

The team didnt require a total tear down but he filled a bunch of roster holes while fixing the cap situation. They were an even bigger job than the giants are now imo

He didnt draft keuchly or Norman but he inherited a 2-14 team with a disaster salary cap situation. Hurney was signing rbs to huge contracts two at a time. It was a big mess.

He plugged holes with Kurt Coleman, Jared Allen, oher, ginn, ball.

Drafted funchess, Thompson, lotolelei, ealy.

The team didnt require a total tear down but he filled a bunch of roster holes while fixing the cap situation. They were an even bigger job than the giants are now imo

Funny thing is they brought back the guy who put them in the salary cap situation in the first place. I doubt the new owners keep him.

Have to say that my confidence in the Giants future handling of Odell Beckham contract has gone up a few notches. Perhaps Gettleman can get some money back from JPP.

Funny thing is they brought back the guy who put them in the salary cap situation in the first place. I doubt the new owners keep him.

Have to say that my confidence in the Giants future handling of Odell Beckham contract has gone up a few notches. Perhaps Gettleman can get some money back from JPP.

I didnt know that but cant say Im surprised. A big reason gettleman was suddenly fired was the owner doesnt like the hard cap decisions and would prefer to just pay everyone. Seems to line up with paying both Stewart and Williams to huge contracts. He just wants someone to write checks for him

Well you can say he may have learned from those mistakes if they were mistakes at all... maybe some vets start to feel theyre above the rules and need to be reigned in.

That's how I am starting to think with vets.

Patriots don't hold on to older vets who no longer get it done...how's that working out for them the past 15 or so years?

I like the hire. He has familiarity with the organization and has demonstrated success elsewhere. Furthermore, he's coming from outside the organization...so glad we didn't hire from within.

I would expect, or hope, that this allows Gettlemen to review the scouting department and make appropriate changes as well as evaluate head coaching candidates. If that can get done before the Superbowl, that'd be on pace to allow the newbies to get their draft needs/boards in order. The timing is going to be tight over the offseason, but getting this done now is a big first hurdle cleared.