SportsWrath

100% Absolutely, Positively NOT.

Sephiroth

I hope this is only to fill the Rooney Rule requirements. This is the guy who's been the head of our drafts for the past 11 years.

The Giants officially have begun the process to replace fired GM Jerry Reese with an internal candidate, interviewing Marc Ross for the vacancy on Monday.

Ross, the team’s VP of player evaluation, interviewed with team president John Mara and former general manager Ernie Accorsi, who is serving as a front-office consultant during the selection process.

Ross, 44, is the first person to interview for the opening after Reese and head coach Ben McAdoo were axed two weeks ago. Interim GM Kevin Abrams also is expected to formally interview this week, with former Carolina GM Dave Gettleman considered a leading candidate, for the position.

By interviewing Ross, the Giants have satisfied the Rooney Rule, which requires NFL teams to interview minority candidates for head coaching and senior front-office openings. The rule is named after Pittsburgh Steelers patriarch Dan Rooney, the chairman of the NFL’s diversity committee who helped facilitate its creation in 2002.

Eagles fans taking over MetLife latest blow in Giants' season

Ross in his 11th season with the Giants, the last five in his current position after spending a half-dozen years as the organization’s director of college scouting. He came to the Giants in 2007 from the Buffalo Bills, where he spent three seasons as a national college scout. His first NFL job was as a public relations training camp intern with the Giants in 1995. The Princeton grad, an All-Ivy league wide receiver in 1993 and 1994, was instrumental in the Giants’ drafting of contributors Evan Engram, Dalvin Tomlinson and Wayne Gallman in the first four rounds of this year’s draft, and also was on the collegiate staff when the Giants tabbed Odell Beckham Jr., Landon Collins, Justin Pugh and Sterling Shepard.

giantsgm19s-web.jpg John Mara and the Giants have begun their search for a new GM. (SETH WENIG/AP)

Not a fan of Fisher...just seems like football has passed him by...with him still trying to make old shit work. Probably not 100% the case, but it just has that feel.

Likewise, I'm not a fan of hiring a GM or coach from within this time. We tried the partial house cleaning and it got us to 2 wins this year....only....2 wins. I think Ross shares as much blame as Reese in the failure to bring in talent on draft day and having to use FA to simply field a team. Sure, they've hit here and there, but for the most part, have swung and missed.

I appreciate the efforts behind the Rooney Rule...but I think it needs abolished at this point given teams are using token black guys to fulfill it.

I'm comforted in knowing that this was the first interview and I'd be surprised if they went with the first guy they spoke to.

Not a fan of Fisher...just seems like football has passed him by...with him still trying to make old shit work. Probably not 100% the case, but it just has that feel.

Likewise, I'm not a fan of hiring a GM or coach from within this time. We tried the partial house cleaning and it got us to 2 wins this year....only....2 wins. I think Ross shares as much blame as Reese in the failure to bring in talent on draft day and having to use FA to simply field a team. Sure, they've hit here and there, but for the most part, have swung and missed.

I appreciate the efforts behind the Rooney Rule...but I think it needs abolished at this point given teams are using token black guys to fulfill it.

I'm comforted in knowing that this was the first interview and I'd be surprised if they went with the first guy they spoke to.

Agreed on all counts...

I'm hopeful about Gettleman.

I consider that he wasn't the first choice of Ernie Accorsi as a step in the right direction. Jerry Reese was his first choice and our draft throughout the years has shown it.

Dunno man. Here's a great article about why Gettleman was let go. Sounds like he may be just a bit Aspergery but has a fine analytical mind... and again, it's difficult to argue with his success.

The Panthers have ten wins this season, with a roster Gettleman built.

Maybe have him and Abrams as a GM/Assistant GM combo?

Gettleman was fired because Richardson didnt know what a salary cap was and wanted to pay everybody. He didnt like gettleman pushing back on him.

The bottom line is he built a Super Bowl team around an average qb. I dont know if hes the right guy for the job but Im not against it

And his age doesn't bother me at all. If anything, that is probably the sweet spot for that kind of top exec role.

Coaching is different, it's physically active, fast paced. But for gm, give me experience.

Yea I don't understand why his age is even mentioned.. it's not like the guy is 80.

Dunno man. Here's a great article about why Gettleman was let go. Sounds like he may be just a bit Aspergery but has a fine analytical mind... and again, it's difficult to argue with his success.

The Panthers have ten wins this season, with a roster Gettleman built.

Maybe have him and Abrams as a GM/Assistant GM combo?

Good article, thanks for sharing. It does give some more information about the potential next GM. I don't think anyone will really know for certain the reason Gettleman was fired, there was no smoking gun in that article. I hope Gettleman learned from his experience down in Carolina and does a better job here. :giants: