SportsWrath

Giants must fix stunningly predictable offense for stretch run

Nas

Makes sense...

The Giants have some obvious personnel shortcomings on offense. The offensive line, tight ends and running backs are average at best. But the Giants had most of the same players last season when they ranked sixth in scoring and eighth in yards. Somehow, the Giants rank 21st in both scoring and yards this season despite better complementary receivers alongside superstar Odell Beckham Jr.

Play-calling and game-planning stand out as obvious reasons for the offensive struggles. The Giants have become exceedingly predictable, using the same personnel grouping on a staggering percentage of their plays.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/11/giants_lackluster_offense_must_improve_with_stiff.html#incart_river_index

I wasn't mad yesterday with it, they ran plays downfield at least. Manning can't throw the deep ball to save his life though.

That's what confuses me, Manning used to be money fitting the ball in past 25 yards, and anything short would sail 15 feet over the WRs head.

That's what confuses me, Manning used to be money fitting the ball in past 25 yards, and anything short would sail 15 feet over the WRs head.

That was early in the game... he wasn't warmed up.... he was fine after that.

Maybe Big Balls Ben has been hiding all the clever stuff on O for Dec and Jan ......... We can only hope

Or there just isn't that much clever stuff.

But I find it very hard to believe that the Giants don't know they're running 11 personnel like 95% of the time. They switch it up, have success, and then its back to the base offense. And we're the only ones that notice that? Not likely.

I really think they're only putting as much on film as they feel they need to.

I certainly hope McAdoo has an ace up his sleeve because he sure as shit wasn't brought in here to install a vanilla offense. Watching Green Bay last night...damn if they don't run an ass-ton of crossing routes behind hook routes and whatnot to spring a receiver wide open. Why we can't do that, I haven't any idea. Hell, even if we copy some of their plays exactly, I'm convinced we'd have a lot of success with them.

I certainly hope McAdoo has an ace up his sleeve because he sure as shit wasn't brought in here to install a vanilla offense. Watching Green Bay last night...damn if they don't run an ass-ton of crossing routes behind hook routes and whatnot to spring a receiver wide open. Why we can't do that, I haven't any idea. Hell, even if we copy some of their plays exactly, I'm convinced we'd have a lot of success with them.

Yea... I know we're 8-3 but it's the most uninspiring 8-3 I can think of...

On the bright side, we're beating the teams we're supposed to...which is a step up from last year. So we're moving in the right direction.

I just hope to hell that this offseason brings offensive linemen galore...because I look at teams like Oakland and Dallas and think about how good they're going to be for a long time. With steadier line play and some offensive creativity, we could be a very dangerous team given how the defense has improved.

On the bright side, we're beating the teams we're supposed to...which is a step up from last year. So we're moving in the right direction.

I just hope to hell that this offseason brings offensive linemen galore...because I look at teams like Oakland and Dallas and think about how good they're going to be for a long time. With steadier line play and some offensive creativity, we could be a very dangerous team given how the defense has improved.

Yea.. not trying to look that far ahead but we have a very good team that can get much better with very few pieces... And last I checked we have room under the cap anyway.

Cap room is going to be exhausted with JPP's re-signing. I think Hankins is up too this offseason. Not to mention, reserving it for Beckham wouldn't be a bad idea either. While we may have some cap space, I wouldn't bank on a FA season like last year.

O-line help will have to come through the draft, and my understanding is that this year's draft is not shaping up to be a good one for offensive line help.

Cap room is going to be exhausted with JPP's re-signing. I think Hankins is up too this offseason. Not to mention, reserving it for Beckham wouldn't be a bad idea either. While we may have some cap space, I wouldn't bank on a FA season like last year.

O-line help will have to come through the draft, and my understanding is that this year's draft is not shaping up to be a good one for offensive line help.

No way am I banking on replicating last year's FA activity... nor do I want to. but a solid OL or two wouldn't hurt... and unless he ups his game, I can see Flowers moving to RT.

I'm not so sure predictability is the issue. Creativity is more the problem for me. 5 OL, 1 TE, 1 RB, 3 WR, and 1 QB is what we field like 80% of the time or so it's been reported. There's nothing wrong with a 2 RB, 2 WR set or even a 2 RB, 3 WR set with no TE. That is, if you have the personnel to pull it off. We can't hardly find 1 TE worth a damn, let alone 2. WRs behind Beckham have been great at times, but inconsistent too. So I understand playing to your strengths, but the defenses don't seem to have to change their personnel based on ours very often. Maybe that tires out the defense faster...I don't know. You could probably spin the formation argument either way.

Which, is kinda why I look at the problem as being more a lack of creativity in the play design/play calling. And that...that is exactly why I was excited to see McAdoo brought in...because supposedly he had that to bring to the table. We've yet to see it, and if we're saving it for the stretch run and playoffs, I'm okay with it. But if we wrap up the season with the same stagnant offense we have now...then Ben's got some explaining to do. I'm not calling for his job...not even close...but redesigning some plays could prove beneficial here.

I'm not so sure predictability is the issue. Creativity is more the problem for me. 5 OL, 1 TE, 1 RB, 3 WR, and 1 QB is what we field like 80% of the time or so it's been reported. There's nothing wrong with a 2 RB, 2 WR set or even a 2 RB, 3 WR set with no TE. That is, if you have the personnel to pull it off. We can't hardly find 1 TE worth a damn, let alone 2. WRs behind Beckham have been great at times, but inconsistent too. So I understand playing to your strengths, but the defenses don't seem to have to change their personnel based on ours very often. Maybe that tires out the defense faster...I don't know. You could probably spin the formation argument either way.

Which, is kinda why I look at the problem as being more a lack of creativity in the play design/play calling. And that...that is exactly why I was excited to see McAdoo brought in...because supposedly he had that to bring to the table. We've yet to see it, and if we're saving it for the stretch run and playoffs, I'm okay with it. But if we wrap up the season with the same stagnant offense we have now...then Ben's got some explaining to do. I'm not calling for his job...not even close...but redesigning some plays could prove beneficial here.

Spot on.

Agreed completely.

I'm not usually the optimistic type, it just really looks to me like they're holding some things back. They didn't show a damn thing against Cleveland, and apparently didn't need to. The few weeks before that, they would pull out just barely enough variety to make just enough plays. Its a risky game if that's what they're playing, and I'm concerned its far too cute, but nobody ever won a championship by trying to be the best team in the league in September and October.

I'm not clear why Ben & Co isn't trying and/or can't get the ball more into the hands of Shepard and Cruz...seems like they could be a change of pace option to get the heat off Beckham, which will ultimately keep defenses off balance and make Beckham more effective.

Also would like to see less wasted possessions in general due to an inordinate amount of fly patterns (i.e. Eli chucking the ball downfield hoping for the best).

For what we've seen from the giants offense thus far, this may be it for them. This may be all they're capable of, given the pathetic offensive line and run game. The offseason needs to be focused on building the right side of the offensive line, at least.

Or there just isn't that much clever stuff.

But I find it very hard to believe that the Giants don't know they're running 11 personnel like 95% of the time. They switch it up, have success, and then its back to the base offense. And we're the only ones that notice that? Not likely.

I really think they're only putting as much on film as they feel they need to.

I was thinking the same thing when Eli was on the Mike Fransesa show last night (Only time is listen is on Mondays to hear Eli) the topic of offensive struggles came up and it kinda sounded like Eli was doing some sidestepping and all that popped into my head is that they played a winless team this past week where at no point were they really in trouble and Big Balls Ben was not going to show off anything new from the playbook. Pretty much the same thing the week before with Chicago too. Save some new looks for Pittsburgh this week and more importantly Dallas the next.

I hate to waste this defensive season. We were much better on offense last season with worse talent at skill positions so I'm hoping it just takes a few gameplan tweaks. We simply don't have the type of shifty personnel to justify so many one yard passes. I'm seeing a lot of teams doing this crap now and I'm guessing it has to do with adjustments to some kind of defensive trend. That game last night was nothing but screens and short passes and made the game totally unwatchable for me

I'm not clear why Ben & Co isn't trying and/or can't get the ball more into the hands of Shepard and Cruz...seems like they could be a change of pace option to get the heat off Beckham, which will ultimately keep defenses off balance and make Beckham more effective.

Also would like to see less wasted possessions in general due to an inordinate amount of fly patterns (i.e. Eli chucking the ball downfield hoping for the best).

For what we've seen from the giants offense thus far, this may be it for them. This may be all they're capable of, given the pathetic offensive line and run game. The offseason needs to be focused on building the right side of the offensive line, at least.

Well, Cruz can't get open and Shepard is a possession wide receiver.

Exactly. Cruz seems far slower than before.. even the catches he makes.. hardly any separation.

Definitely the focus should be the line.. I'm not sure I would ink Flowers as LT though... if he continues to struggle, and he may be better fit on the right, so be it... But we need a TE that is not less than average...