SportsWrath

Giants must fix stunningly predictable offense for stretch run

Nas

Ugh not this crap again about the predictable offense. The problem is execution by the players not the formation. There isn't a mystery about the offense from last year to this year.

I hear you and I'm usually in the "it's the players and execution, not the coaching" camp, too. But it is much harder to execute when the defense has a pretty good idea of what you're doing and that's appeared the case many times this year, especially on the running plays. I'm fine with the job Mac is doing for a first year coach and hope he's saving the wrinkles for December......but it just might be that ole taciturn Tom played more of a role in the creative use of X's and O's than we might have realized. His persona would suggest Defense but he was always on the Offensive side of the ball and while Mac ran things, as Gilly did before him, TC always had a hand in there, I'm sure, a hand they may be missing now.

I hear you and I'm usually in the "it's the players and execution, not the coaching" camp, too. But it is much harder to execute when the defense has a pretty good idea of what you're doing and that's appeared the case many times this year, especially on the running plays. I'm fine with the job Mac is doing for a first year coach and hope he's saving the wrinkles for December......but it just might be that ole taciturn Tom played more of a role in the creative use of X's and O's than we might have realized. His persona would suggest Defense but he was always on the Offensive side of the ball and while Mac ran things, as Gilly did before him, TC always had a hand in there, I'm sure, a hand they may be missing now.

Tom Coughlin isn't any more creative than Ben McAdoo. They have different ideas on how to play the game however. Coughlin had a dedication to the running game that McAdoo does not for starters.

Ben McAdoo does not have an offense he has been saving up for the month of December, what you see is what we have. Now during the bye the team made some a couple of changes and that was a factor to the better than expected bye run.

The only thing that is going to save the offense going forward is a running game that produces at least 4 yards a carry. They got away with 2-3 yards in November and it will not get the job done in December. When opponents drop into that cover two defense, the running game needs to hurt them or the Giants to run a spread offense sending the RB & TE out as receivers.

In the first 3 games of the season that Vereen played he gained 147 yards on 31 carries ( ave 4.7 yards per carry ) . He also caught 8 passes for 75 yards. Our Offense looked creative and had more than 1 dimension ( and we successfully ran the ball ).

Getting a "healthy" SV back will make us less predictable immediately. Eli trusts him.

There won't be any wholesale, prominent changes that transform the offense in the next five weeks. Get used to what you've seen thus far out of the offense. What you've already seen is in the realm of the best we can do with the shaky, inconsistent offensive line that we have.

The best one can hope for is spreading the ball around a little more to guys other than just Beckham, and hopefully instead of the inordinate # of three and outs, the giants turn SOME of those into drives with at least two first downs to change field position, eat up clock, and rest/take pressure off the defense. That's the best you can hope for. Take 2-3 drives and get a total of ~5-6 more first downs.